Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wish Johnson had used the summer to learn from others, instead all we see is further English exceptionalism. We're all long way off the best in Europe let alone the world

Really had hoped today meeting indoors in private home would be curbed in England. Again Scotland and NI have taken the lead, a missed opportunity. Was there anything more on increased use of masks? Seems not

No understanding of the different risks indoors and outdoors, really poor

Alas cases soar again today, just short of 5k

Masks are being made mandatory for retail staff and taxi drivers

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The Grand Old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill
Then marched them down again

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nobody near the amount of people will die anywhere, Spain have seen cases and hospital admissions along with deaths increase but nowhere near the rate of the original wave, treatments have advanced massively for all aspects of the illness plus the unfortunate fact that a lot of vulnerable people will have died already. Even the fear mongers Whitty and Valance, said alongside their 50k infections prediction that 200 people a day could die, down from 1500 at the peak, I’m not saying that is acceptable by the way, just making the point it wouldn’t be anywhere near the level of the first wave.

How about making use of the nightingale hospitals and not stopping people’s vital hospital treatments and pretty much closing hospitals again, oh and isolating care homes with intensive testing, concerned me earlier to see there has been a large increase in the care setting again, we need targeted testing and care facilities to share some of the responsibility, they charge their occupants enough....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
what change where you hoping for?

Masks to be worn by secondary pupils in shared indoor places. Good move on people moving around in restaurants & pubs, better late than ever the likes of Italy implemented this months ago

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why do the new restrictions allow 30 people at funerals but only 15 at weddings?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Masks to be worn by secondary pupils in shared indoor places. Good move on people moving around in restaurants & pubs, better late than ever the likes of Italy implemented this months ago

If you know anything about secondary school kids masks in school are utterly pointless, I live near Preston park and everyday it’s full of big groups of Stringer and Varndean kids from about 4PM in the afternoon basically sitting on each other’s laps, sharing cigarettes and drinks etc... counted around 30 down there earlier all huddled in the corner up near the velodrome.

If there is one positive test at school, kids will be sent home for two weeks when parents still have to work, don’t worry though... Grandparents are allowed to look after them. :facepalm:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Devastating news for
[MENTION=16716]Mac[/MENTION]millancancer
as it is forced to make 310 redundancies.

The Covid-19 crisis is killing off non-NHS health charities who step in and support patients when the NHS can't or won't. It's an emergency with very real consequences.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Here are Scotland’s real stats.

91132A89-2AF6-4D2F-9EC6-753AE246951E.png

I wonder if that tweeter has an anti-lockdown bias?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So

6 months
Army can be called in
Instead of answering about testing flaws goes on a random attack on SKS
Mixed messaging on furlough

The way this is going now I’m really starting to believe we’re could be living in some sort of nasty police style state by next year with never ending restrictions imposed at every whiff of a disease we have no hope of ever eradicating whilst our economy, rights, and way of life will be gone forever.

What a joyous effing prospect. Society destroyed for everyone potentially forever for an illness that if managed differently we could easily have lived with quite normally and protected those that were at serious risk.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The way this is going now I’m really starting to believe we’re could be living in some sort of nasty police style state by next year with never ending restrictions imposed at every whiff of a disease we have no hope of ever eradicating whilst our economy, rights, and way of life will be gone forever.

What a joyous effing prospect. Society destroyed for everyone potentially forever for an illness that if managed differently we could easily have lived with quite normally and protected those that were at serious risk.

This.

Anyone who includes 'protect those at serious risk' in any rant gets my attention.

Boris is an absolute clown. He is managing to destroy the economy AND put vulnerable people at risk of death at the same time. He couldn't possibly have done a worse job. And there is no sign of any sort of realisation. Just more mad initiatives. Protect the vulnerable, everone else back to work! If not right this second then in a week's time. Maybe 2 weeks (just to be sure the deaths don't start to rocket - my guess is the wont meaning the virus has mutated).

Look at the data, think, act. Don't filter it through a political committee chaired by Cummings to work out how best to maximise a good look for the tories.

As an aside I just heard the Orient chairman on the radio claim that by paying for tests (that found 18 of his staff 'positive') he has lost £1.5 million owing to the Spuds cancellation. But if he had done all he needed to do at the time (after 3 positive tests) which, legally, is **** all, the game would have gone ahead. He claims he is being punished for being responsible and blames the government for potentially putting clubs out of business.

This nation....a laughing stock run by dishonest self-serving moral and intellectual pygmies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Scotland have imposed a complete ban on anyone 12 or over visiting other people’s homes.

Should England (and Wales/NI) get equally tough?

Despite NSC images of blue-tinted politics/CV19 handling north of the border, the hospitality industry are fuming with Sturgeon ovrt the 10pm restaurants and pubs curfew accusing Ms Sturgeon of "singling out" the industry despite "very little evidence" that it is linked to the spread of the virus.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The army will be coming in when the inevitable civil unrest starts because no one has a job or company to work for anymore!

On the Radio this afternoon there was an interesting discussion involving i believe the Chairman of the National Federation of Police (i think i got the title right)....he expressed surprise that it was announced in the way it was...he believed it unnecessarily alarmed people...explaining that they’ve been involved from close to the start ..in things they do well like logistics etc ...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This.

Anyone who includes 'protect those at serious risk' in any rant gets my attention.

Boris is an absolute clown. He is managing to destroy the economy AND put vulnerable people at risk of death at the same time. He couldn't possibly have done a worse job. And there is no sign of any sort of realisation. Just more mad initiatives. Protect the vulnerable, everone else back to work! If not right this second then in a week's time. Maybe 2 weeks (just to be sure the deaths don't start to rocket - my guess is the wont meaning the virus has mutated).

Look at the data, think, act. Don't filter it through a political committee chaired by Cummings to work out how best to maximise a good look for the tories.

As an aside I just heard the Orient chairman on the radio claim that by paying for tests (that found 18 of his staff 'positive') he has lost £1.5 million owing to the Spuds cancellation. But if he had done all he needed to do at the time (after 3 positive tests) which, legally, is **** all, the game would have gone ahead. He claims he is being punished for being responsible and blames the government for potentially putting clubs out of business.

This nation....a laughing stock run by dishonest self-serving moral and intellectual pygmies.

Hi Harry

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

I heard the Orient interview. The foregone cup game windfall will be £150,000 if it’s never televised.

Orient lose millions a year anyway, he said the additional lockdown losses will be £2.5m.

He didn’t come across angry at all. He praised the huge cash injection from furlough, but was at his wits end on financing this season.

Sage Simon Jordan turned this around, with two big criticisms of the football industry:

1. The EFL kicked the can of wildly excessive player wages down the road this year, when it could’ve got to grips.

2. The huge transfer fees changing hands this summer and vast contracts being awarded eg at Arsenal, don’t look good for an industry pleading poverty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here