Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If any mods are watching, I reckon this should be back on the main board now. It's not like there are hundreds of threads like there was in March. It should help keep the guff off the good news thread

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Who's beating CV and who is not? Interesting site...

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries

That is interesting, the weird thing is that the UK, Sweden and Holland had quite loose "lock downs" and dont seem to be any worse or in fact doing better that most ? Ans a few of the countries that had the strictest lock downs are now seeing a spike in cases ??

I would also like to see a graph of how may of these infections result in hospital or even more sadly deaths as looking at some graphs infections are rising but death rates and hospital rates are dropping quickly ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That is interesting, the weird thing is that the UK, Sweden and Holland had quite loose "lock downs" and dont seem to be any worse or in fact doing better that most ? Ans a few of the countries that had the strictest lock downs are now seeing a spike in cases ??

I would also like to see a graph of how may of these infections result in hospital or even more sadly deaths as looking at some graphs infections are rising but death rates and hospital rates are dropping quickly ?

Yes, the infection to hospitalisation rate would be very interesting.

The WHO are citing the under 40s for the upsurge in infection rates around Europe, stastically they seem less likely to die!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If any mods are watching, I reckon this should be back on the main board now. It's not like there are hundreds of threads like there was in March. It should help keep the guff off the good news thread

I'd go along with this. If I remember rightly, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] posed this question early June when this sub-area was still buoyant, although with noticeably declining levels of participation. I asked to keep it back then, but would welcome its incorporation into the main board now too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Separate households will not be allowed to meet indoors in Greater Manchester, East Lancashire and parts of West Yorkshire from midnight, the government has announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53602362
Announced late at night on a Thursday evening, surely it would have been better to announce it via a proper press conference or statement 4 hours earlier when people might have been made aware?.... #WorldBeating

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Announced late at night on a Thursday evening, surely it would have been better to announce it via a proper press conference or statement 4 hours earlier when people might have been made aware?.... #WorldBeating

4e4027197e6c43f82f1e2dd07856c9c2.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Radio 5 has a phone in on now. Someone is giving what sounds like offcial, or expert, advice.

Two parts of a larger family who live apart in greater Manchester plan to holiday together in a cottage in Cornwall. The advice given was 'you are breaking the guidelines as you are not part of a bubble and come from a lockdown area so don't do it'.

But if you are not from one of the new areas it is OK (or probably OK - not entirely clear; 'as long as you social distance' - but what about the Mancunians?). That's lucky, we are doing exactly that with Mrs T's sister and family (who live in the west midlands) in a week or so. Or possibly not.

Lots of bafflement, as others have noted.

This law changes seems to have been brought in to target those planning to celebrate Eid with people outside their bubbles. I don't have a problem with this per se (if justified - and I don't know if it is), but I do have a problem with the government being gutless about explaining. Someone phoned in last night to say their Manchester borough had been put into lockdown yet they had had no new cases for ages. More gutlessness - not targeting Muslim areas for fear of causing offence? I though the current stage of intervention was targetted.

And knowing this clueless government there is probably no actual evidence that new spikes are due to Muslims hugging and sharing meals.

Yoda

English & European
I don't think there were significantly more tests this week than (say) a week ago.

Admittedly if the tests are more focused on areas where it is expected to have a higher proportion positive, would skew the numbers, but the 7 day rolling average has been increasing steadily.

All while the 7 day average down here has continued to fall. This is why local measures were taken. There have been 3 times more cases reported nationwide today than there has been in the whole of the South East for the past week.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I posted that piece in the Good News thread. It is very important to bear that in mind, and it is one of the most frustrating things that almost all news outlets go for the simple 'cases rising' shock headlines.

Completely agree. What we need is accurate, understandable data so that we can go about our lives safely. What we have is a complete fog. Partly this is the media, doing what they do to chase clicks and headlines. Partly it's also about the official figures. Personally I think hospitalisations is a good first indicator of an actual increase in cases. As far as I can tell, they are heading in the right direction in the south east

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Completely agree. What we need is accurate, understandable data so that we can go about our lives safely. What we have is a complete fog. Partly this is the media, doing what they do to chase clicks and headlines. Partly it's also about the official figures. Personally I think hospitalisations is a good first indicator of an actual increase in cases. As far as I can tell, they are heading in the right direction in the south east

You can add 111 calls to that hospitalisation figure...it’s kind of ironic that gov.uk run an advert on Talksport about false information re this virus...perhaps they should look at the point you raise

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't think there were significantly more tests this week than (say) a week ago.

Admittedly if the tests are more focused on areas where it is expected to have a higher proportion positive, would skew the numbers, but the 7 day rolling average has been increasing steadily.

Surely if you go to an area where cases are high and test a lot of people the cases will rise.
Come down to Sussex where at the moment its 3 in every 100,000 at there would be a lot of negatives....mind you that would not sell papers or satisfy the second wave brigade.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

public needs less data, more information and guidance. too much data has circulated without sufficent understanding, news feeding daily, hourly updates with supercede, correct or overwise invalidate previous data has created a lot of confusion. and thats before we get to misinformation, undue weight given to isolated stories. a case study for irresponsible media and needing to limit their output.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
public needs less data, more information and guidance. too much data has circulated without sufficent understanding, news feeding daily, hourly updates with supercede, correct or overwise invalidate previous data has created a lot of confusion. and thats before we get to misinformation, undue weight given to isolated stories. a case study for irresponsible media and needing to limit their output.

And a government that can get joined up thinking and provide accurate figures so the news agencies you seem to blame wouldn't be playing a guessing game!

Oh and when you say "limit their output" do you mean censorship? Are you Donald Trump or Dominic Cummings in disguise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here