Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The only thing I would like to ask is how many of those 2615 are antibody tests as Spain lump all their test results into one figure.

Only exact data I can find, due to the way Spain suspiciously changed the way they record their numbers is that 1000 of them are from the last 24 hours, the other 1600 could be backdated over the last 7 days or antibodies tests. Hopefully these numbers start decreasing and we don’t see any ‘second wave’

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Concerning numbers from Spain. 2615 new cases today, you expect outbreaks too happen but it appears they are quickly losing control. A friend of mine who lives in Spain says he’s seen for more spanish people behaving badly than tourists, as though they have been ‘let off the leash’ after a very strict lockdown. I have a feeling the ‘air bridge’ to Spain may well be under threat.

Anyone travelling to Spain from the UK now has to go into a 14 day quarantine when they return, so may affect holidays.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Anyone travelling to Spain from the UK now has to go into a 14 day quarantine when they return, so may affect holidays.

Includes canary and Balearic islands also so I'd say it will definitely affect holidays. Not bothering at all this year and to be honest I don't understand why people would want to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Includes canary and Balearic islands also so I'd say it will definitely affect holidays. Not bothering at all this year and to be honest I don't understand why people would want to.

It was effective from midnight overnight so those already there are affected including the Transport Minister Grant Schapps. I wonder what excuse he’ll use when he gets back?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why, in uncertain and difficult times, are some folk so hellbent on taking a holiday when so many things could go belly-up?

Wait for some normality, you'll get through not having 2 weeks in the Costa Brava this year, honestly.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It was effective from midnight overnight so those already there are affected including the Transport Minister Grant Schapps. I wonder what excuse he’ll use when he gets back?
He'll have to go in quarantine like the rest. Which he's already said he'll do.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Why, in uncertain and difficult times, are some folk so hellbent on taking a holiday when so many things could go belly-up?

Wait for some normality, you'll get through not having 2 weeks in the Costa Brava this year, honestly.

This with bells on.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I feel for people who’ve gone to visit family or for practical reasons such as tending to property they own out there, but for those who’ve gone purely for holiday purposes you really have to question their nativity don’t you?

There are some stories on the BBC this morning of people whinging about the quarantine, saying they’ve lost out financially by booking holidays they can no longer go on. One young lady saying she’d booked a trip to Seville for her boyfriend’s 30th. A nice gesture I suppose, but why in the current climate not just do something in the UK or defer plans until the situation has improved?

Do people actually think this is over and we’re through this? There appear to be clear indications that some do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I feel for people who’ve gone to visit family or for practical reasons such as tending to property they own out there, but for those who’ve gone purely for holiday purposes you really have to question their nativity don’t you?

There are some stories on the BBC this morning of people whinging about the quarantine, saying they’ve lost out financially by booking holidays they can no longer go on. One young lady saying she’d booked a trip to Seville for her boyfriend’s 30th. A nice gesture I suppose, but why in the current climate not just do something in the UK or defer plans until the situation has improved?

Do people actually think this is over and we’re through this? There appear to be clear indications that some do.

I agree. I go to Spain at 2/3 times a year, Seville one of my favorite destinations. This isn't a country you generally need to book months in advance as a once in a lifetime experience.

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy at all. A city break now ?

The very reason I'm not even thinking of going is because of the likelihood of something like this. I've written this year off and will probably take a couple of weeks end of August and tour the commons of Clapham, Tooting and Wandsworth.

Might even buy a beach umbrella to keep the rain off.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Usually I'd advocate personnel choice (like when people on here moan about others eating at football) but given the situation it does seem like a huge risk booking a holiday at the moment.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Holidaying abroad seems to have become expected activity/basic right and is no longer considered a luxury. I agree that there are some who may have a genuine need to travel but I have no sympathy for those who after ~ three months of lockdown (granted some may have continued to work ....but still) feel it necessary to put the health of themselves and others at risk. Putting the current deadly pandemic to one side (as if we could), I really do not get peoples attitudes.

Whilst I am on my soapbox.....

The government can’t win. Be considered to have acted too slow and they are inept and be considered to act too quickly and they are considered shambolic. The government does not have a crystal ball telling them that next week there will be a spike in so and so.

The recent daily numbers of cases being reported in some European countries has accelerated above those daily cases being reported in the UK yet I have listened to both holiday makers and travel agents spouting that the UK has higher case numbers - we do based on total numbers but not in new positive test results.

And breath.......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Usually I'd advocate personnel choice (like when people on here moan about others eating at football) but given the situation it does seem like a huge risk booking a holiday at the moment.

I like to advocate personnel choice, but I gather the exemplar on here is [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]

Personal choice based on sensible risk assessment. Live with at risk people or visit them reguarly? Probably best stay at home. Same if you are worried about overseas travel for personal or Gov't advice reasons. In a low risk group? Observe the safety rules, go somewhere with a low infection rate and have a nice time.

Yes a simplistic approach, but if travel is open and the Gov'ts say it is permissable then up to the individual; much in the same way that going to the pub or a restaurant is. Accept some people will find all these activities to be 'selfish', but that is your call and opinion; none of us know whether there will be a 2nd major spike or not so we all have to try and live our lives within current permissable frameworks and following safety advice.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Normal by Christmas certainly didn't help...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here