Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
He has just confirmed that only 73000 were tested. Hate the man but he's not wrong. Frankly, it's a good effort to get to 73000 but I'd have a hell of a lot more respect if the government had just said, "sorry, we tried but couldn't quite make the target" rather than just manipulating the figures to make themselves look good.

No surprise there. How anyone believes any figure claimed by anyone about anything at the moment is beyond me. At a time when people deserve to hear the truth obfuscation, spin and lies abound, sadly.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
He has just confirmed that only 73000 were tested. Hate the man but he's not wrong. Frankly, it's a good effort to get to 73000 but I'd have a hell of a lot more respect if the government had just said, "sorry, we tried but couldn't quite make the target" rather than just manipulating the figures to make themselves look good.

He even praised Yodel for getting them out of a hole.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York

I thought they were the ones tested in the new labs, with another 39,000 done in Hospitals/PHE so over 100K?

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
No surprise there. How anyone believes any figure claimed by anyone about anything at the moment is beyond me. At a time when people deserve to hear the truth obfuscation, spin and lies abound, sadly.

If true, getting 125k tests out is good going; but it's not the same as performing 100k tests.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hancock mentioned in that press conference that the fact they have passed 1,000,000 tests is some kind of important benchmark. I guess we are supposed to celebrate this totally meaningless number for some reason, but he didn’t elaborate.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The government have done brilliantly by getting to 73,000 tests DONE yesterday. Odd they still need to play politics by trying to lie and spin their war to 122,000. I suppose they are playing to their supporters rather than the majority of the Country.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suppose they are playing to their supporters rather than the majority of the Country.

The majority of the country voted them in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Less than a third of the population voted them in.

43.6% of a 67% turnout.

If people cannot be bothered to vote then they will probably get ther outcome they don't want, however, a lot of hard left labour seats were lost last time round.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Less than a third of the population voted them in.

43.6% of a 67% turnout.

Wtf 67%. Is it usually like that over there?

As someone who believes the real power is located above politicans, I never vote. So I'm quite impressed. But still, its weirdly low, why didnt people vote?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex

As someone who believes the real power is located above politicans, I never vote. So I'm quite impressed. But still, its weirdly low, why didnt people vote?
December and cold? People who didn't care? People who considered themselves in a "safe" seat?

There are plenty of reasons why people don't vote. If more people did vote the chances are the end result would be about the same (elections are pretty much a very large opinion poll).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
December and cold? People who didn't care? People who considered themselves in a "safe" seat?

There are plenty of reasons why people don't vote. If more people did vote the chances are the end result would be about the same (elections are pretty much a very large opinion poll).

Some people simply have no interest in politics, instead just getting on with life, they find politics and politicians dull, distracted by far more exciting or happier things.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I usually vote but couldn't be bothered this year. My seat has a 20000 majority, I'd been up half the night with a baby, shit weather, busy day at work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here