Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I used to know the NHS Trust CEO in the Hasting area, unfortunately she died of cancer two months after retiring, she left her role because of political interference. She was always saying about the waste in the NHS, especially interestingly the use of PPE and consumables. As an example she would use the cost of equipment in an operation in the NHS compared to a private hospital. Because the focus is to make money in the private sector everything is accounted for unlike the NHS where it's free vend. She said the more equipment bought, the more was used, but not always necessary. I make this point because I'm convinced the here and now needs to be somewhere between the two examples. Not an easy task.

Firstly, there a few things sadder, IMO, than someone working on hard for many years and not getting to enjoy their retirement.

It's extremely complex - The NHS cannot (or rather should not) work in the same way as a UK Private enterprise will, I've mentioned elsewhere that ultra efficiency, in terms of people and equipment will lead us to a situation where any great peak in demand will results in shortages and specifically in the case of the NHS, deaths. It would be interesting to know why more PPE was used but "not always necesary"??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wish I liked Rugby a bit more - Australian National Rugby League to recommence from 28th May.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Wish I liked Rugby a bit more - Australian National Rugby League to recommence from 28th May.

Big TV money in it down under. Warriors won't be playing any home games in Auckland for a while though. Rugby League here has teams from France and Canada in it, which will prove tricky.

I wonder when Super Rugby in Union will ever start - franchises from South Africa, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and Japan all represented. Best of luck to them with the logistics of that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would have thought it has already been purchased, unless he has broken into PC world!

Good point, well made :lolol:

[MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] does have my sympathies though. I think that 20 years on, he is still struggling with the fact that we are actually in the 21st century and all that entails.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My wife is a dental nurse. Her practice has just received a new mask that is designed for front line when the practice reopens. These masks can last for 4 hours, so they require 2 marks per day per dentist /nurse etc. These masks are costing them £19 each! That is a pretty big cost to the surgeries.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Good point, well made :lolol:

[MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] does have my sympathies though. I think that 20 years on, he is still struggling with the fact that we are actually in the 21st century and all that entails.

I just purchased a Theo Klein toy for my daughter, manufactured in Germany, we have options.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My wife is a dental nurse. Her practice has just received a new mask that is designed for front line when the practice reopens. These masks can last for 4 hours, so they require 2 marks per day per dentist /nurse etc. These masks are costing them £19 each! That is a pretty big cost to the surgeries.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

I got an email from my dentists earlier in the week saying they are hoping to reopen from June 1st. Is your wife's practice got the same reopening date and is that date thought as optimistic, out of interest?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I just purchased a Theo Klein toy for my daughter, manufactured in Germany, we have options.

You are, of course, correct. We always have tariff free imports from the EU :thumbsup:

Unless of course the toy includes parts from Sanshui Sanlian Plastic & Cement or any of Theo Klein's other Chinese suppliers. Once you start looking into it, it seems a little more complicated than it first appears, but that's the 21st century for you :shrug:

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European

You are, of course, correct. We always have tariff free imports from the EU :thumbsup:

Unless of course the toy includes parts from Sanshui Sanlian Plastic & Cement or any of Theo Klein's other Chinese suppliers. Once you start looking into it, it seems a little more complicated than it first appears, but that's the 21st century for you :shrug:

You beat me to it [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION]

I would expect a lot of components used in technology manufacturing elsewhere are made and come from China

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports