Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm always very wary of comparing UK figures against other countries as we have no idea of their reporting basis, their delays in reporting and the effect of these things on overall numbers, when even the UK announced figures are way out.

If you compare the figures released daily by the Government to the ONS date of death figures, we know that the Government's daily reporting is only 64% of total fatalities at best, due to the announcements being hospital deaths only and the delay in reporting. This means that today's announced figure of 21,092 fatalities is actually a minimum figure of 31,956 fatalities. (I can be more specific tomorrow with the next release of ONS figures).

This is what we know about the UK, given all the detailed information available to us. And if we are only managing an accuracy of 64%, how other countries are doing, I wouldn't have a clue :shrug:

Having said all that, I think all the trends for the UK on both cases and fatalities are looking negative (which, of course, is positive :thumbsup:)

The ONS have released their latest detailed data today and the last detailed figures available were for 17th April when the Government announced figure was 13,917 meaning actual fatalities of 21,284.

That means that the accuracy of the daily figure over the last 2 weeks of detailed data has been a fairly consistent 63% (1% less than I estimated), so I'm afraid my total for yesterday of 31,956 needs to be adjusted up slightly to 33,479 fatalities.

Note: These figures are only for England

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
England 546
Scotland 70
Wales 17

Around 640 deaths expected after weekend uptick but compared to 888 deaths last Tuesday it’s a mild improvement.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We are seeing a lift in restrictions such as non-essential workers being allowed back to work if their employers so choose, or if self employed. And also restaurants that had government and self imposed restrictions are gradually opening up a limited in-store services. DIY stores also opening back up. It is easing. See how it goes.

Yoda

English & European
Covid Deaths England 28.jpg
And still no deaths showing as recorded in Sussex NHS Trust Hospitals since 25th April by 5pm yesterday.
Sussex Daily Covid Deaths.jpg
Dotted line is the 7 day rolling average.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1255117550561759232[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1255066325342355458[/TWEET]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think we all know that facebook can be used to promote certain schools of thought, which is sad as it casts doubt on the real stories.

What would they gain from lying about it? This was all from one comments section, I’ve heard similar for weeks, I think a lot of it is true.

It’s already been established that the reporting of Covid deaths was massively overblown. When Italy said they had 11,000+ deaths, it was probably more like 1,200.

This opened my mind on the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/RkJELpndAOs

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So anyone who can't work from home can get tested that's good news!

It is very good news, together with the increase in capacity to do 75,000 tests a day.

Did I miss where they reported how many tests we did yesterday ?

*edit*

Found the answer - 43,453

Last edited:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
It is very good news, together with the increase in capacity to do 75,000 tests a day.

Did I miss where they reported how many tests we did yesterday ?

Home tests sent out up from 5,000/day last week to 25,000/day by end of this week. I think he said about 35,000 done yesterday, but can't remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here