Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crazy decision to not take apple or Googles option and to go alone. Google have a ridiculous amount of resources to make something like that successful. The NHS's record of system development is beyond appaling.

not quite so silly, as described the Google and Apple models dont allow exploration of the data showing interconnections between users (except to Google/Apple of course, the cloud will still be hosted and available to them). NHS would be able to directly analyse the data to look for hotspots, even message individuals. the claim of decentralised processing are bogus, the database will be centralised and could be a 1GB database everyone is downloading, horribly inefficent. a purposefully centralised processing model would simply process and send out alerts.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I believe we are already in the next phase, unofficially..........the government recently told firms that shut, that they never told them the had to shut, this giving them the green light to open.
We are currently in the very early stage of lifting of restrictions, a small number of well known chains gradually opening their branches, thus slowly increasing the amount of people outside.
I think the government know full well what’s happening and they will be closely monitoring the stats as we progress through the next week.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I believe we are already in the next phase, unofficially..........the government recently told firms that shut, that they never told them the had to shut, this giving them the green light to open.
Which firms are you thinking of?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Which firms are you thinking of?

Off the top of my head, McDonald’s, B&Q, Greggs etc.
All shut and have now reopened with the health secretary saying that they were never told they had to shut, I believe that is the first tentative unofficial start to lifting the restrictions, with more stores open it obviously creates more people movement and the government will be watching how the increased footfall affects the infection rate.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Crazy decision to not take apple or Googles option and to go alone. Google have a ridiculous amount of resources to make something like that successful. The NHS's record of system development is beyond appaling.

Yup.

Australia have 2.4 Million downloads and having introduced quarantine as an entry requirements weeks ago, are now smashing Covid-19.

Another brilliant model of what an Island can achieve with good leadership. Like NZ, they are well on their way back to normality, albeit with quarantined borders for the foreseeable future - oh to be able to control your borders like that.

If we’d started the following measures in February, Mr Johnson would be spoken about as one of the best ever PMs, much like they talk about the wonderful woman from New Zealand.

1. Close all airports/ports - introduce 14 day quarantine.
2. Introduce wide scale track, trace & treat.
3. Quickly roll out an app to support track & trace.
4. Population use masks in densely populated places.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Indeed, it was public shaming that closed Sports Direct, not firm government action.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
All shut and have now reopened with the health secretary saying that they were never told they had to shut, I believe that is the first tentative unofficial start to lifting the restrictions, with more stores open it obviously creates more people movement and the government will be watching how the increased footfall affects the infection rate.

Quite, I don't know who I despise more, this government who appear to be relaxing the lockdown in stealth mode, ahead of countries that appear have a better handle on the situation or the hundreds who were queueing at B&Q 8am on Saturday.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Off the top of my head, McDonald’s, B&Q, Greggs etc. All shut and have now reopened with the health secretary saying that they were never told they had to shut
They weren't told to shut! 2 provide a takeaway food service, the other provide materials for construction. Plenty of similar businesses remained open in the first place.

I believe that is the first tentative unofficial start to lifting the restrictions, with more stores open it obviously creates more people movement and the government will be watching how the increased footfall affects the infection rate.
While I don't disagree with your principle that the government might be happy for a few places to open, the ones you've mentioned were definitely not told to shut in the first place.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Bad news on the BBC this morning about the German infection rate...... Doesn't bode well for those who hoped lockdown would be eased drastically next week....

Last week, Germany was optimistic it was on the path out of lockdown. And a handful of measures were lifted, with small shops allowed to reopen and some students returning to class.

But on Tuesday, officials warned the infection rate was increasing - and was now at 1 again.

This means 10 infected people will infect another 10 people. Last week, the rate had dropped to 0.7, meaning ten infected would pass the virus to only seven people.

In order to beat the pandemic, the infection rate has to be below 1.

In the past day, Germany recorded 1,144 new infections and 163 new deaths.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

To be fair McD's and Greggs weren't told.to shut - they are classified as takeaways and have been able to operate, albiet at a reduced service all the time. They chose to shutdown. Likewise B&Q didn't have to close - home hardware stores were on the list of retailers allowed to.remain open.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bad news on the BBC this morning about the German infection rate...... Doesn't bode well for those who hoped lockdown would be eased drastically next week....

Last week, Germany was optimistic it was on the path out of lockdown. And a handful of measures were lifted, with small shops allowed to reopen and some students returning to class.

But on Tuesday, officials warned the infection rate was increasing - and was now at 1 again.

This means 10 infected people will infect another 10 people. Last week, the rate had dropped to 0.7, meaning ten infected would pass the virus to only seven people.

I'm not totally up on all of this, I will admit, but that rise seems to have happened very quickly adter the measures being lifted being that symptoms don't show themselves straight away?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure if this should go here or on the "good news" thread, because it's probably only good news for one country. However, scientists in Iceland have mapped out the genetic sequence of the virus and Iceland has tested many of it's population. 40% of those who were asymptomatic there had the virus. They claim to have it under control. He also says it was widespread here very early on.

The scientist on there is also fairly scathing about anyone saying it was easier for them with their small population, pointing out that the US and UK have huge resources in comparison.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

They weren't told to shut! 2 provide a takeaway food service, the other provide materials for construction. Plenty of similar businesses remained open in the first place.

While I don't disagree with your principle that the government might be happy for a few places to open, the ones you've mentioned were definitely not told to shut in the first place.

To be fair McD's and Greggs weren't told.to shut - they are classified as takeaways and have been able to operate, albiet at a reduced service all the time. They chose to shutdown. Likewise B&Q didn't have to close - home hardware stores were on the list of retailers allowed to.remain open.

...and McDonald's hasn't reopened anyway :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not that surprising, given they’ve likely had far less infections than us so far. Places like Italy, Spain and us should be able to keep the R rate down lower in future with the same set of restrictions as a country with a more susceptible population.

Countries that completely stopped CV in its tracks (like NZ) might struggle to reopen properly for a long, long time.

But yes, as [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] says, it’s surely gonna take at least 14 days to see the difference in any easing of restrictions, hence why it has to be so gradual?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry I may be missing something but that’s exactly what I’ve said ?
It's not, because when you said this:

We are currently in the very early stage of lifting of restrictions
you give the impression that they've just been given a green light to open. They've always had the green light. And you're saying that restrictions are being lifted, while at the same time saying those restrictions were never there in the first place.

So if you agree that these shops were always allowed to be opened, what restrictions are you claiming are being lifted?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here