Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member 22389

My Dad has been as good as self isolating since December 2018 after he had a fall....must have been out no more than ten times since.

Have you begun to think about how you will give her the shopping etc? I had my first chat with him last night about visits he get from a home help etc

I will do Internet shopping for her. My mum is 84. She is mobile but has diabetes, so if she got this virus, we know what could possibly happen. Keep our parents out of hospital, freeing up space for younger patients.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I will do Internet shopping for her. My mum is 84. She is mobile but has diabetes, so if she got this virus, we know what could possibly happen. Keep our parents out of hospital, freeing up space for younger patients.

I would always try and keep him out of hospital ..at his age more likely to catch something in than out ......just thinking of all the sensible moves to make

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
At the very least you and your brother should sign-up for/familiarise yourselves with online shopping, if not already.

I do the weekly shop for my 82yo mother from 50miles away.

My brother does his own shopping on-line but goes to the supermarket for mum.

Then he picks up fish and chips for them and delivers her shopping to her. There is no way she could get the shopping from the front door to her kitchen.

D

Deleted member 22389

I would always try and keep him out of hospital ..at his age more likely to catch something in than out ......just thinking of all the sensible moves to make

Your right . We all have to be smart, try and work around this, thinking about what you touch, washing your hands as often as possible and keeping away from large groups of people.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My Mum's 84 and in good health for her age. We're taking her out for dinner this afternoon. I'll pick a restaurant that is quite spacious and hopefully won't be too busy, (and take great delight in asking her if she has washed her hands, if she leaves the table) but that's all the realistic precautions we will take.

I reckon she would be ready to kill me if I tried to lock her up for 4 months.

That's the spirit.

Just cannot understand anyone over 70 not staying in unless they have a death wish .... Pure stupidity and selfish for everyone else.

I thought your drama queen days were behind you, dwayne - Death Wish ? Well, with her 'death wish', she's somehow managed to survive the last 80 odd years and, if at the end of the day, Coronavirus gets her (or flu, some other virus, heart attack, knocked down by bus etc) she'll have had a good innings. In the meanwhile, we will do what we have always done, take sensible precautions against all those things. That doesn't include her being confined to her house, alone for the next 4 months.

And if her going out is being 'selfish', then shouldn't we all stay in selflessly for the next 4 months to help stop the spread :facepalm:

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Does anyone have any other evidence that backs this up. I can't believe it and I don't trust the NYPOST.

[tweet]1238929011050496001[/tweet]

With some futher reading though, it could be a mistake. I've seen reports that are slightly different, but what I have seen is that of the 300 people in ICU, half are under 50, so it could have been that. (Also similar figures in Netherlands apparently)

The French have also been pointing out that a lot of people who experience complications had been using/given Ibuprofen, they think it is increasing the risk of complications, and they have warned against using it, suggesting people use paracetamol instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So you think that he’s wrong then? Care to explain why he is wrong?
No I don't think he's necessarily wrong. I am just tired of the one liners he keeps making for perceived political point scoring. Other posters eloquently express their opinion whilst justifying why they are making a comment. It's not just coronavirus posts, but any post, let's blame the govt....snore.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Patient 1 in Italy, a 38 year old marathon runner who turned out for his local football team every week, had to spend over 8 weeks in hospital.

What the **** are you talking about?

Clearly you didn't read through my posts and their context.

I was referring to the younger generations specifically (myself being in contact with sometimes hundreds of them on a daily basis) and their willingness to disregard the seriousness of the situation based on statistics.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just spoken to my Mum who is 70, she doesn’t think her and my Dad (who’s 73) could spend the next 4 months locked up in the house with no visitors. I think they’d be more at risk of killing each other than succumbing to Coronavirus. They’re both in very good health and enjoy a wide range of activities, of course I don’t want them put at risk, but 4 months in isolation? Then what? It doesn’t sound like this will have gone away by then and I’m pretty sure we won’t have a vaccine by then either.

What about those who are approaching 70? Will they be free to come and go as they please until their 70th birthday, at which point they get locked up? Doesn’t sound like a very fun birthday party!

Appreciate it’s not ideal, but we really are a pampered lot in the west aren’t we.

4 months is nothing. Really.

Think about explaining this to people in the third world: 4 months with a nice roof over your head, quality food which can be delivered to your door, virtually infinite amount of movie and tv services to choose from, books etc.

I know where you’re coming from though as my parents who are in late 60s/70s are also not happy about this one bit. Perspective is needed though in times like this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought your drama queen days were behind you, dwayne - Death Wish ? Well, with her 'death wish', she's somehow managed to survive the last 80 odd years and, if at the end of the day, Coronavirus gets her (or flu, some other virus, heart attack, knocked down by bus etc) she'll have had a good innings. In the meanwhile, we will do what we have always done, take sensible precautions against all those things. That doesn't include her being confined to her house, alone for the next 4 months.

And if her going out is being 'selfish', then shouldn't we all stay in selflessly for the next 4 months to help stop the spread :facepalm:

Clueless.

I don't mean you, obviously.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I have friends working at M&S Shoreham-by-Sea. A few are 68 plus and probably about 10 are over 70yrs. Admittedly most only work part time, so do they have to give up work? For some, they live alone and working, keeps them sane. At least they’ve being able to buy toilet rolls, had good stocks on Friday!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Clearly you didn't read through my posts and their context.

I was referring to the younger generations specifically (myself being in contact with sometimes hundreds of them on a daily basis) and their willingness to disregard the seriousness of the situation based on statistics.

My apologies then!

And as was pointed out I got the number of weeks wrong (it was 3 not 8).

Not a lot right with my post it would seem :smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you want to find toilet roll for sale; locate a Waitrose, then locate the nearest convenience store. They will have stocks. That’s what I did and was please my theory was correct and there was plenty of loo roll available.
My theory being that people who shop at Waitrose wouldn’t be seen dead in a no brand convenience shop.
They had plenty of cheap paracetamol and hand soap too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Appreciate it’s not ideal, but we really are a pampered lot in the west aren’t we.

4 months is nothing. Really.

Think about explaining this to people in the third world: 4 months with a nice roof over your head, quality food which can be delivered to your door, virtually infinite amount of movie and tv services to choose from, books etc.

I know where you’re coming from though as my parents who are in late 60s/70s are also not happy about this one bit. Perspective is needed though in times like this.

Try being that person and you might feel differently

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No I don't think he's necessarily wrong. I am just tired of the one liners he keeps making for perceived political point scoring. Other posters eloquently express their opinion whilst justifying why they are making a comment. It's not just coronavirus posts, but any post, let's blame the govt....snore.

Agreed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here