Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Do the government seriously think over 70s will self isolate and sit at home for 4 months ? Ridiculous, no one of free will would do that especially if not ill. I am sure most would prefer to get out and take their chances

My 95 year old mum lives alone.

My 72 year old brother calls in on her and does her shopping.

How on earth would she cope?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My Mum's 84 and in good health for her age. We're taking her out for dinner this afternoon. I'll pick a restaurant that is quite spacious and hopefully won't be too busy, (and take great delight in asking her is she has washed her hands, if she leaves the table) but that's all the realistic precautions we will take.

I reckon she would be ready to kill me if I tried to lock her up for 4 months.

I’m the same my mum is 86 and in good health, remember these little tigers are old enough to have been dodging the shit the krauts were dropping on them too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just a few more thoughts on the isolation of the over 70s

If someone has a partner under 70, does this mean that partner has to stay in isolation also
Many elderly people have dogs as pets for the company they provide and enjoy the social interaction from walking their dogs, who walks the dogs
Given that the isolation period is likely to cover sunnier months, will they suffer a vitamin D shortfall as not getting out into the sunlight and will therefore need District Nurses to call and inject the vitamin D booster.
How are supplies delivered as in many cases just knocking on the front door and running away won't be a solution, as many elderly won't be capable of taking the supplies into the home.
The obvious concerns over mental health, but also general fitness as they will be undertaking far less walking and exercise so will be less fit when the isolation period ends.

A very difficult balancing act between stopping the elderly getting the virus and side effects from doing so.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How would you know if you feel crap and shivery if you have a common cold, a random virus, a normal flu or corona ?

D

Deleted member 22389

Do the government seriously think over 70s will self isolate and sit at home for 4 months ? Ridiculous, no one of free will would do that especially if not ill. I am sure most would prefer to get out and take their chances

If I have told my mum to stay in. She doesn't mind. We will get her shopping, tablets.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m the same my mum is 86 and in good health, remember these little tigers are old enough to have been dodging the shit the krauts were dropping on them too.

First spics and now krauts. It must be national casual racism day chez Chicken Run.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Like all the government plans being announced the over 70's isolation plan will collapse in a day or less when the practicalities are exposed

Over 70s can’t even adhere to the basic etiquette of queuing, much less follow isolating rules and guidelines. :D

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How would you know if you feel crap and shivery if you have a common cold, a random virus, a normal flu or corona ?

It’s a tough call. I had cause to call Paramedics to work on Friday night and I was chatting to one of them and she was telling me the advice is to stay away form hospitals. GP surgery’s are closing or not letting people with symptoms attend, even pharmacists are asking not to attend. So people have no option but to call paremedics.
This has a ripple effect, obviously.
111 NHS direct is an option but I use it at work frequently and it’s almost impossible to get through right now.

The advice is to bear with the symptoms until you feel it’s getting serious, then dial the 9’s for an ambulance.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If I have told my mum to stay in. She doesn't mind. We will get her shopping, tablets.

My Dad has been as good as self isolating since December 2018 after he had a fall....must have been out no more than ten times since.

Have you begun to think about how you will give her the shopping etc? I had my first chat with him last night about visits he get from a home help etc

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
My 95 year old mum lives alone.

My 72 year old brother calls in on her and does her shopping.

How on earth would she cope?

At the very least you and your brother should sign-up for/familiarise yourselves with online shopping, if not already.

I do the weekly shop for my 82yo mother from 50miles away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports