Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
After suffering in the last 20 years or so, over 60 shocks from my ICD, which would have led to cardiac arrests, cancer, diabetes, a pulmonary embolism, a pneumothorax, and 2 , 8 hour heart operations, I’m going to be really really annoyed if a cough, with ideas above it’s station finally gets me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Try being that person and you might feel differently

Too true.
I am 71 and the thought of being 'confined to barracks' for four months fills me with dread.
Luckily, we have a nice garden, which I assume I would be allowed to wander around and work in, but some just live in small flats.
Quite a number would be in more danger from mental health problems etc. than the virus; and yes, I understand the other view that oldies putting themselves at risk could be seen as being selfish.
A very difficult problem, and as others have said, if as a society we can't control our urges to stockpile bog rolls, what chance 4 months in solitary, so to speak.??????

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
How can they possibly enforce people staying inside for 4 months? It’s not remotely feasible. Do they arrest the over 70s for taking a walk out? Utterly ludicrous. You can’t force people or police it.

This is Johnson’s ‘Churchill moment’. (Sorry GCCM)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How can they possibly enforce people staying inside for 4 months? It’s not remotely feasible. Do they arrest the over 70s for taking a walk out? Utterly ludicrous. You can’t force people or police it.

You can’t. You can only advise it.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Too true.
I am 71 and the thought of being 'confined to barracks' for four months fills me with dread.
Luckily, we have a nice garden, which I assume I would be allowed to wander around and work in, but some just live in small flats.
Quite a number would be in more danger from mental health problems etc. than the virus; and yes, I understand the other view that oldies putting themselves at risk could be seen as being selfish.
A very difficult problem, and as others have said, if as a society we can't control our urges to stockpile bog rolls, what chance 4 months in solitary, so to speak.??????

We have a perplexing situation. We are a 3 generation household. 2 of us are 70+ 2 are 40+ and 2 are primary age children. In addition 1 is a nurse. No idea how self isolation can work in this scenario.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
After suffering in the last 20 years or so, over 60 shocks from my ICD, which would have led to cardiac arrests, cancer, diabetes, a pulmonary embolism, a pneumothorax, and 2 , 8 hour heart operations, I’m going to be really really annoyed if a cough, with ideas above it’s station finally gets me.

You got this [emoji106]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still a large part of me that thinks this is a global government/media feeding frenzy, amplifying this thing out of all proportion. Tho I'm sure our resident twin doom-mongers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] & [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] will soon slap me down and accuse me of trolling, eh [MENTION=33848]The Clamp?[/MENTION]. It's patently not just the flu, for sure. It's almost certainly not The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalype either. But maybe the media could show the same level of restraint they're urging the panic-buyers to show, instead of throwing fuel on the fire

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Try being that person and you might feel differently

What makes you think I won’t be?

I stand by what I said. Try being a refugee in Syria, or living in a tiny shack in India with no fresh water, scarce food and no entertainment. Every day.

We are very privileged in the west. And whilst it’s of course an inconvenience to be house bound for a few months, perspective is needed. Especially today where everyone is contactable and free video calls can be made across the word.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still a large part of me that thinks this is a global government/media feeding frenzy, amplifying this thing out of all proportion.

You think what you want chap.

I can't recall anything that has come anywhere near close to this in terms of massive measures taken by governments of all political persuasions right around the world. I desperately hope this turns out to be much ado about nothing, but I can't possibly see how that can be the case now.

Even Donald Trump seems to be taking it seriously now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We have a perplexing situation. We are a 3 generation household. 2 of us are 70+ 2 are 40+ and 2 are primary age children. In addition 1 is a nurse. No idea how self isolation can work in this scenario.

Indeed.
I am 71, my wife is 62 and we have one son living with us who is 28.
Daughter and grandson live nearby and other son lives in London, so not nearly as mixed as yours.
My wife runs her own fitness business in which about 50% of her clients are over 70, so that would be a financial problem for her as well as trying to live with a grumpy me!
Heaven knows how it would work in practice, especially for many people in more difficult/complicated situations than us. There are just so many knock on problems, I reckon it would be nigh on impossible.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I don't believe it's an enforced decree, more an advisory. So your post seems an overreaction.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I thought your drama queen days were behind you, dwayne - Death Wish ? Well, with her 'death wish', she's somehow managed to survive the last 80 odd years and, if at the end of the day, Coronavirus gets her (or flu, some other virus, heart attack, knocked down by bus etc) she'll have had a good innings. In the meanwhile, we will do what we have always done, take sensible precautions against all those things. That doesn't include her being confined to her house, alone for the next 4 months.

And if her going out is being 'selfish', then shouldn't we all stay in selflessly for the next 4 months to help stop the spread :facepalm:
Is it dramatic to say she has a 20% chance of dying if she gets it ? Would you take those odds, I know I wouldn't.

Is she selfish taking a hospital bed a young person could have had if she had just stuck to government guidance. I would say yes.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What makes you think I won’t be?

I stand by what I said. Try being a refugee in Syria, or living in a tiny shack in India with no fresh water, scarce food and no entertainment. Every day.

We are very privileged in the west. And whilst it’s of course an inconvenience to be house bound for a few months, perspective is needed. Especially today where everyone is contactable and free video calls can be made across the word.

I wouldn’t disagree with what you say and no one is asking you to change your mind...but it’s not quite that simple is it ......”what makes you think I won’t be?”...I never said you weren’t...but you aren’t right now ..I think the word inconvenience minimises what is being asked ....some of course will just take it in their stride.....some it will just be what you say....and some will find it very hard indeed.

Jimmy Grimble

Must be due an announcement on numbers soon?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

You think what you want chap.

I can't recall anything that has come anywhere near close to this in terms of massive measures taken by governments of all political persuasions right around the world. I desperately hope this turns out to be much ado about nothing, but I can't possibly see how that can be the case now.

Even Donald Trump seems to be taking it seriously now.

Yes, what we are witnessing is utterly unprecedented. A once in a lifetime historic event.

Multi billion sports across the globe are being cancelled. Italy and Spain are in lockdown where people aren’t allowed to leave the house aside from getting supplies.

National emergency across the world, travel bans, enforced WFH.

I continue to be astonished at folk who still aren’t taking this seriously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Still a large part of me that thinks this is a global government/media feeding frenzy, amplifying this thing out of all proportion. Tho I'm sure our resident twin doom-mongers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] & [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] will soon slap me down and accuse me of trolling, eh [MENTION=33848]The Clamp?[/MENTION]. It's patently not just the flu, for sure. It's almost certainly not The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalype either. But maybe the media could show the same level of restraint they're urging the panic-buyers to show, instead of throwing fuel on the fire

Well quite. Seems to be people on here reading everything they can, zoning in on the negative stories and getting themselves scared without really cross referencing articles or seeing if they contradict each other.

I’m being careful what I post on here but I’m well aware of the risks vs the hype. I have to take it seriously because of my work, as many do and I don’t take it lightly but I think I have a balanced , realistic view of it. I wouldn’t be very good at my job if I didn’t. If we don’t get it right in my workplace, people will die as a result. Guaranteed.

I’m on leave as of this morning but I have been told to expect this to be cancelled and to be called in at some point.

There is no cure-all. Different countries are trying different methods of response. I happen to think, long term the UK’s response is going to be the most effective and minimise the death toll. Which is the best approach in a crisis.
Our Tory government, as loathsome as they are, are not going to deliberately put an entire population in danger. It simply makes no sense politically, economically or socially.
There is no conspiracy here, its an approach that is counter intuitive. Remove politics and I still think this is the best approach.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I normally follow Ben on twitter for his analysis of National Hunt racing which is extensive. His wife, however, has got Miley Cyrus and he posted this thread which is worth a read from a real world perspective.

He - in the nicest possible way - is a stats bore so hyperbole is not his thing.

[tweet]1238969032528855041[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here