Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Genuine science / medicine question here - why do these global epidemics always seem to originate in the Far East or more specifically China? SARS, bird flu and now this have all started out there.

China’s a diverse country; parts are incredibly densely populated yet prosperous, others more isolated but deprived. Many towns and cities will no doubt be a blend of those extremes. You could probably apply the same to India for instance though, and yet we don’t seem to see the development of new viruses or diseases there in the same way.

So, yeah, why China?
I dont think they do always start in China - theres some evidence that the Sars-Cov-2 virus was prevalent in the USA and elsewhere at the end of 2019 before the alleged Wuhan lab leek in China

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So I woke up this morning and felt as sick as a dog.

Battled through the day but knew something wasn't right, got home took and there it is, I have the dreaded virus.

:nono:

Absolutely gutted, we will now be isolating for the next week which means we will miss the Halloween ball tomorrow evening and trick or treating on Monday. We've been so careful over the past 2 and a half years but we have let our guard down in recent months and mixed with other households and even stopped wearing masks in crowded areas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So I woke up this morning and felt as sick as a dog.

Battled through the day but knew something wasn't right, got home took and there it is, I have the dreaded virus.

:nono:

Absolutely gutted, we will now be isolating for the next week which means we will miss the Halloween ball tomorrow evening and trick or treating on Monday. We've been so careful over the past 2 and a half years but we have let our guard down in recent months and mixed with other households and even stopped wearing masks in crowded areas.
This is probably a fitting end to the covid thread. Low comedy from Crodo - that went unnoticed.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Still waiting for the chance to book a Covid-19 booster. I'm concerned about not getting one before the end of the year. I need one before the winter virus season starts to bite as my immune system isn't the greatest at the moment.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Still waiting for the chance to book a Covid-19 booster. I'm concerned about not getting one before the end of the year. I need one before the winter virus season starts to bite as my immune system isn't the greatest at the moment.

There's plenty of ways to book one. Say you live with someone vulnerable. The NHS website let's you book one if you enter yes to that. They don't ask for evidence. A colleague of mine managed to book his by saying he was pregant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do we never learn?

No. No we don't. Criminally prioritising the Chinese tourist spend over public health considerations. As always, a total thick-as-mince disgrace by our idiot leaders :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No. No we don't. Criminally prioritising the Chinese tourist spend over public health considerations. As always, a total thick-as-mince disgrace by our idiot leaders :rolleyes:

“Chief medical officer Chris Whitty told health secretary Steve Barclay there was no evidence tests on travellers would have any effect”

Is Whitty taking the Chinese cash?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is interesting
BMJ 2022;379:e072561
article free at this address http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/

Title: "Everything causes cancer? Beliefs and attitudes towards cancer prevention among anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, and reptilian conspiracists: online cross sectional survey"

Objective: To evaluate, using an online non-probability sample, the beliefs about and attitudes towards cancer prevention of people professing vaccination scepticism or conspiracy theories.
Design: Cross sectional survey.
Setting: Data collected mainly from ForoCoches (a well known Spanish forum) and other platforms, including Reddit (English), 4Chan (English), HispaChan (Spanish), and a Spanish language website for cancer prevention (mejorsincancer.org) from January to March 2022.

Conclusion: Almost half of the participants agreed that “It seems like everything causes cancer,” which highlights the
difficulty that society encounters in differentiating actual and mythical causes owing to mass information. People who believed in conspiracies, rejected the covid-19 vaccine, or preferred alternative medicine were more likely to endorse the mythical
causes of cancer than their counterparts but were less likely to endorse the actual causes of cancer. These results suggest a direct connection between digital misinformation and consequent erroneous health decisions, which may represent a further preventable fraction of cancer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Don't know about other parts of the country, but rates in the North East (anecdotally at least) seem to have jumped a bit lately. Having not of anyone testing positive for Covid amongst friends and family over the last few months, there have now been several people in our wider circle who have got it (all separate couples/families who won't have mixed with each other). All very mild cases and only discovered because of half term pre-travel testing requirements.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've started to read more opinions about how with multiple re-infections we are - to put it bluntly - all doomed. Including children.

Now, I don't know. This may be propaganda being pushed by the mask devotees. Tbh I hope that is all it is.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I've started to read more opinions about how with multiple re-infections we are - to put it bluntly - all doomed. Including children.

Now, I don't know. This may be propaganda being pushed by the mask lovers. Tbh I hope that is all it is.
interesting to put this alongside the notification I got yesterday that the NHS COVID app was no longer operational

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Now, I don't know. This may be propaganda being pushed by the mask devotees. Tbh I hope that is all it is.
ive had it 4 times , my missus is nurse she's had it more , my eldest is a nurse , likewise......my youngest is a filthy little club hopper , she's had it loads of times , just get on with your life mate.....:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here