Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
He started our first 29 league games. It was 26 games before he was taken off significantly before the end of the game. The only game he didn't start prior to February this year was v Gillingham, because he was called up for the scotland squad. Of 46 league games he started 40, and the six he didn't start 5 were in the last month and a half of the season, one was a month earlier than that (v leeds where he came off the bench to do what he had failed to do in his previous 10 games - score).

His confidence would obviously have been lower than when he was scoring every week for Peterborough. Gus then stated that he would bring in a player to help CMS during the drought you refer to and he signed none other than Billy Paynter (who he didn't play as a partner anyway) and then Sam Vokes (who played instead of him!) Grummitt's Gloves mentioned the slide rule passes which is (IMO) precisely what CMS needs and that would be provided by Vicente, Buckley, Crofts and not the odd flick on provided by the likes of Paynter. It is simply untrue to suggest that we can't play channel balls or passes behind the central defenders for CMS to run onto without becoming "impatient" in our build up. Having said all that, I am afraid that I believe CMS will be sold and will flourish elsewhere.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
His confidence would obviously have been lower than when he was scoring every week for Peterborough. Gus then stated that he would bring in a player to help CMS during the drought you refer to and he signed none other than Billy Paynter (who he didn't play as a partner anyway) and then Sam Vokes (who played instead of him!) Grummitt's Gloves mentioned the slide rule passes which is (IMO) precisely what CMS needs and that would be provided by Vicente, Buckley, Crofts and not the odd flick on provided by the likes of Paynter. It is simply untrue to suggest that we can't play channel balls or passes behind the central defenders for CMS to run onto without becoming "impatient" in our build up. Having said all that, I am afraid that I believe CMS will be sold and will flourish elsewhere.

I'm not denying any of your criticisms or arguments, just the claim that he had low confidence because he wasn't starting. He was starting. The only league game he didn't feature in was when he had a virus, of the other 45 he started 40 (the most of all strikers, greer and bridcutt are the only two players with more league starts, with 42 and 43 respectively).

I think there's nothing wrong with CMS or the idea of how we play. With better players in the rest of the team, and having a year to get used to our system and the higher level opponents, I'm expecting a good season from CMS. I think people are being overly analytical of his performances and our tactics and everything around the issue of him fitting in or not.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Sorry Acker, I should have been clearer. He was (eventually) left out of the side for the very player supposedly brought in to assist him. That has to damage confidence. You kindly provided me with the stat some time ago that is key to CMS anyway. Only 7 starts with Vicente pulling the strings (and no Andrew Crofts.) We have people on here saying we should sign George Boyd to provide the ammo. No. We have the best creative player in the division by an absolute mile to provide the ammo and to benefit from CMS pulling defenders away.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think there's nothing wrong with CMS or the idea of how we play. With better players in the rest of the team, and having a year to get used to our system and the higher level opponents, I'm expecting a good season from CMS. I think people are being overly analytical of his performances and our tactics and everything around the issue of him fitting in or not.

Using simple logic, CMS having a comfortably better season playing in the same sort of system WILL require him to have a greatly improved first touch. Can you improve your first touch that much at his age?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Using simple logic, CMS having a comfortably better season playing in the same sort of system WILL require him to have a greatly improved first touch. Can you improve your first touch that much at his age?

Given all the feel good sport themed movies I grew up with, yes, anything is possible. But it will require dedication, positive attitudes, and a training montage set to kenny loggins or other 80s synth-heavy rock music.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ah... the lack of service myth. The reason for the lack of service was because our moves kept breaking down - when the ball reached CMS. To be fair, it's not his game. I can understand why Colin wants him as he'll suit that style of play much better

Can't agree... the lack of service was just that... poor service from the midfield...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not really, no. It would be a complete guess. What I'll say is...

1. I don't think Gus would hesitate for a second to ship CMS out now, but only if he had someone better (or better suited) to replace him with.

2. If I were CMS and wanted to stay in Brighton, I'd probably be 'injured' now too.

I disagree with (1)... Gus will not look good if CMS leaves IMHO... (2) seems rather cynical too TBH...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Forced being the operative word. Not out of desire. The other problem with CMS and Gus' style of play, it the amount of times that balls going to/towards him, are simply giving away possession.

To me, I just feel that the way he played against us for Posh, in his last match against us at their place, sums up how he always plays. He worked really hard, with no end products, because we had a good defense.

FFS, he was by far their best player that day... up top on his own... and we were lucky he didn't score...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
An expensive Gary Hart?

Nonsense. We didn't have to give up a set of kit to get CMS in.

No, we spent more than we ever spent on any other player for CMS... and Gus will make it work...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I disagree with (1)... Gus will not look good if CMS leaves IMHO... (2) seems rather cynical too TBH...

Gus will look even worse if he keeps him as our main striker and plays him regularly, as we will not get promoted. It is a sign of a good manager, in any walk of life, to recognise their mistakes, take corrective actions accordingly, and learn from them. Gus will be stupid to bury his head in the sand, and simply compromise the rest of his team in an attempt to cover-up his error. Gus is not stupid.

I am not certain we should sell CMS, he is a good work-horse and closes teams down at the back. Maybe a place on the bench, but not as first-choice striker. Given his costs, that would be hard to justify.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I disagree with (1)... Gus will not look good if CMS leaves

This is such a ridiculous point, why do people keep repeating it? Gus wants us to get promoted, he doesn't give a shit which players we use to do it. If he decides he needs to make changes, then he will make changes. Do you really think he cares how it looks to you? If CMS leaves and we get someone else in who shoots us to promotion, then how exactly would that make Gus look bad?

And look bad to who? Not to his players, not to his boss, not to any potential future bosses, and not to the football world in general. It may come as a surprise to you, but he has no interest in what a load of people who've never played the game to any kind o level, who have nothing better to do than sit on an internet message board, think!

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
This is such a ridiculous point, why do people keep repeating it? Gus wants us to get promoted, he doesn't give a shit which players we use to do it. If he decides he needs to make changes, then he will make changes. Do you really think he cares how it looks to you? If CMS leaves and we get someone else in who shoots us to promotion, then how exactly would that make Gus look bad?

And look bad to who? Not to his players, not to his boss, not to any potential future bosses, and not to the football world in general. It may come as a surprise to you, but he has no interest in what a load of people who've never played the game to any kind o level, who have nothing better to do than sit on an internet message board, think!

Nail. on. head.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The cost is NOT a good reason for trying to "make it work", as it would simply be a case of throwing good money (and opportunities) after bad.

In your OPINION... Gus will get more out of CMS this season than last in my opinion... CMS is not the problem, the midfield WAS, but that issue has now been very much addressed... belatedly but thankfully...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

You really are overly-aggressive, aren't you!? As well as regularly spouting opinionated BS.. how will it look to Tony B, Gus boss' then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here