Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup, but it is understandably going to alter people's expectations, when he was hailed as the big money marquee signing of the summer.
Yes of course the fans' expectations will be different, although they should appreciate it's not CMS's fault we've not played to his strengths. Meanwhile, the team should just be picked on merit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes of course the fans' expectations will be different, although they should appreciate it's not CMS's fault we've not played to his strengths. Meanwhile, the team should just be picked on merit.

Agree with all of that. Still very disappointed that we sold the one player who would've been the PERFECT foil for CMS, to pay for CMS. Oh well.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Personally, I think the problem with CMS towards the end of the season was his movement. He had lost confidence in what he was doing, and was always taking half a second to think what he was going to do. As a result both his positioning and first touch suffered, but the positioning was the bigger deal, he is not the most technically gifted player we have, so will always make the odd poor touch, but his poor positioning meant that he was not getting the ball so often. Look at who Vicente passes to most often, Barnes, they have a real understanding because Barnes moves so intelligently, this is what is lacking in CMS's play.

Also if I read one more post about us signing a big man to complement CMS I'm gonna proper lose my shit. Have the people suggesting this possibility not watched us play for the last two and a half seasons? Big man, little/quick man front lines are the province of crappy League Two teams, not those aspiring to reach the Premier League.

I think Gus saying we're looking for a 'striker with presence', and him also bemoaning our lack of height is what is causing people to mention a target man, so... blame Gus for you potentially 'losing your sh1t'! ;-)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think Gus saying we're looking for a 'striker with presence', and him also bemoaning our lack of height is what is causing people to mention a target man, so... blame Gus for you potentially 'losing your sh1t'! ;-)

As an alternative to CMS, yes. To play with CMS, unlikely.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. Well I don't mean to be, anyway.

But how will it look to Tony Bloom if Gus sells CMS and gets another striker in who shoots us to the Premier League? It will look fantastic.

Would you rather our manager stuck with someone who he didn't think was right becuase he didn't want to look bad, or would you rather he cut his losses and made some tough decisions for the greater good?

By the way, I'm not a CMS hater by any means, I've said all along I think he'll come good, and that we should give him another season. I still stand by that. But Gus might not think that, and if we could sell CMS and get someone better, then I'd be happy with that as well. Wouldn't you?

As for your point about us struggling to bring in a decent striker (not quite sure where I've said that we can pluck one out of thin air), well lets just wait and see, shall we? You might just be pleasantly surprised....

I'll bounce this thread for you shortly for you to write your apology....

No apology, but a response...

You have again assumed that we can just get another striker in that will take us to the Prem... I just don't see that as an easy task... what if we sign another striker and he flops (CMS hasn't flopped IMHO)?

Where is the evidence that Gus wants or needs to 'cut his losses' on CMS? IF CMS doesn't cut it for us next season, then I would obviously want Gus to offload...

I'm glad you're not a CMS doubter (TM), but I just can't see us getting much better unless we ease off on our obvious wage cap... therefore, to repeat, it will be extremely difficult (not impossible) to bring in 1 striker of suitable quality, let alone 2 (required if CMS goes)... obviously, I want us to acquire the best players we can...

I genuinely hope I'm pleasantly surprised by our allegedly impending striker signing... just a bit worried by the recent mention of Dave 'The T0sser' Kitson...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As an alternative to CMS, yes. To play with CMS, unlikely.

But Gus said he wanted the aforementioned striker with presence to help CMS succeed next season... his plan doesn't appear to be to replace CMS...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No apology, but a response...

You have again assumed that we can just get another striker in that will take us to the Prem... I just don't see that as an easy task... what if we sign another striker and he flops (CMS hasn't flopped IMHO)?

Where is the evidence that Gus wants or needs to 'cut his losses' on CMS? IF CMS doesn't cut it for us next season, then I would obviously want Gus to offload...

I'm glad you're not a CMS doubter (TM), but I just can't see us getting much better unless we ease off on our obvious wage cap... therefore, to repeat, it will be extremely difficult (not impossible) to bring in 1 striker of suitable quality, let alone 2 (required if CMS goes)... obviously, I want us to acquire the best players we can...

I genuinely hope I'm pleasantly surprised by our allegedly impending striker signing... just a bit worried by the recent mention of Dave 'The T0sser' Kitson...

No, your apology will come when you see who we sign...

I'm not assuming anything. My point was that if Gus decides that CMS isn't the striker to take us to the Premier League, and that someone else is, and we sign someone else, then I don't see how that can make Gus look bad. That's good, assertive, management. Much better that than blindly hoping CMS will come good.

I'm not saying that is what Gus is thinking, just that if he does decide that CMS is not the man for us, well that is good enough for me. Personally, I hope CMS stays, and I hope he bangs in twenty goals for us next season.

Don't worry too much about Kitson, we're going to get someone much better than that, just wait and see...

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Agree with all of that. Still very disappointed that we sold the one player who would've been the PERFECT foil for CMS, to pay for CMS. Oh well.

Who was that then?

Edit: Or are you referring to Murray? Assume not, as we didn't sell him, he left as he was out of contract so no money went towards CMS's fee?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, your apology will come when you see who we sign...

I'm not assuming anything. My point was that if Gus decides that CMS isn't the striker to take us to the Premier League, and that someone else is, and we sign someone else, then I don't see how that can make Gus look bad. That's good, assertive, management. Much better that than blindly hoping CMS will come good.

I'm not saying that is what Gus is thinking, just that if he does decide that CMS is not the man for us, well that is good enough for me. Personally, I hope CMS stays, and I hope he bangs in twenty goals for us next season.

Don't worry too much about Kitson, we're going to get someone much better than that, just wait and see...

OK, whereas I'm assuming we will struggle to get in someone of a sufficiently high quality... I look forward to being wrong! And I just don't see CMS moving yet...

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
OK, whereas I'm assuming we will struggle to get in someone of a sufficiently high quality... I look forward to being wrong! And I just don't see CMS moving yet...

Surely, if someone like Kitson comes in it would only be in addition to CMS rather than instead of? He won't get £20k a week again anywhere let alone here. If and it is an if, Gus is prepared to offload CMS it is not going to be to bring in someone even less likely to score? The only reason to sell would be to protect his resell value and to free up wages for a stella signing. If we were skint surely it would be easier to just not sign Crofts saving both the fee and his wage?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
CMS might benefit hugely from Vicente being fully fit from the off. Vicente is the player who is most likely to thread through the sort of passes that CMS will flourish from. Here's hoping, anyway.

CMS is not on the same wavelength though. He is not a very intelligent footballer. We require someone with a footballing brain who can feed off Vicente. I bet Vicente gets pissed off passing to Smudger to see every pass come off his shin, go out for a throw or lose possession. We as a club have moved forward, CMS has stood still. Very good league 1 player. Even Billy Paynter was a success in that league

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
CMS is not on the same wavelength though. He is not a very intelligent footballer. We require someone with a footballing brain who can feed off Vicente. I bet Vicente gets pissed off passing to Smudger to see every pass come off his shin, go out for a throw or lose possession. We as a club have moved forward, CMS has stood still

Unfortunately I agree with this.i was watching CMS closely towards the end of last season and he is yard slow taking off.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Unfortunately I agree with this.i was watching CMS closely towards the end of last season and he is yard slow taking off.

You really need to let him get his fitness and confidence back before making such a judgement. We have all seen his is more capable than that. Towards the start of the season he was like an angry wasp' buzzing everywhere. Let's hope we can get this CMS back.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
You really need to let him get his fitness and confidence back before making such a judgement. We have all seen his is more capable than that. Towards the start of the season he was like an angry wasp' buzzing everywhere. Let's hope we can get this CMS back.

I agree,we did see what he could do in games like Leeds but he seemed to lose it.i hope he comes back firing but after seeing him for the last 4 months of last season I'm not sure he will.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who was that then?

Edit: Or are you referring to Murray? Assume not, as we didn't sell him, he left as he was out of contract so no money went towards CMS's fee?

Ah you know what I mean, freeing up wages etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here