Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** LV County Championship Sussex vs Notts 19-23 July ****

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Bit harsh: Brown's had a decent season and Machan averages well over 40. Robinson hasn't been too bad and Shahzad, until his injury, was high in the averages.

It looks like a season too far for Joyce, Wells and Nash have been poor, and Cachopa hasn't cracked on. And we were always going to be found out for not having a proper spinner.

Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries but there should have been some planning there: Anyon and Hatchett are long-term injuries and Mills is a walking ambulance case. We couldn't have known about Jordan, but there was a chance that he was on England call anyway. So,. really, only Shahzad is unexpected. We also knew that RHB was going and Prior was likely to go before the start of the season and made no effort to replace them. If Robbo was a football manager, he'd have been sacked for that lack of foresight

You are dead right, and I was wrong. Very sensible comments. I think we have half a team and that is not enough.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I went but missed the first 20 minutes and the last 10 (see below). In a nutshell, they didn't appear to see the need for a batting coach - they used Jayawardena as a kind of batting coach until he went, money's tight, the loan market has dried up, relegation would be sustainable financially, We've got the best groundsman in the country but the Hove micro climate makes preparing pitches a bit of a lottery, can't really explain why the Hove pitch is so capricious this year, Robbo won't give the players a bollocking for chasing the ball outside off stump for example to Harry Gurney's bowling because they know they shouldn't so whats the point in berating them for it, Robbo couldn't get to sleep until 2 ( or later he said 3) am after the last T20 defeat, so it hurts to be beaten and he doesn't like it, but hang on, aren't we doing well in T20 this season in comparison with last season, everyone's worried about our Championship form but if we get relegated so be it.

I left early....couldnt stand it - there seemed to be an air of resignation about our fate this year.

Yes does it really matter if we are relegated in the Championship ? Other sides, perhaps better sides have been in the past. I think we have been entertaining in the T20. We are not a big county so overall we have done pretty well in previous years. This is a reality check and it is not nice.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well five games to go, we can probably discount points from Yorkshire home or away, so we need two wins from Worcestershire, Somerset or Middlesex.

We have had a nightmare with injuries and thats the risk we have to take trying to get unwanted talent in, it means a lot of young and inexperienced players have been thrown in.

We have a break now with the one day cup and 20/20 so hopefully get some wins and confidence in the team and possibly Robbo plays around in the loan market to boost the squad or even gets an injured player back, a Jordan and Shazad would be making the difference.

But even if we go down, these young players may be getting the experience to get us back up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
so, we're 4 points ahead of Worcestershire, who are still playing, and look likely to lose. But they currently have 5 points from the game (so assuming the BBC table hasn't already added them, and I don't think they have) we'll be a point behind come the ned of today.

Let's hope they don't get an unlikely draw (like it rains all day)

Squeaky bum time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here