Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** LV County Championship Sussex vs Notts 19-23 July ****

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Quite. Wells is our one player who deliberately aims to make himself as hard to get out as possible.

All of the others mix risk and reward differently. Nash and Machan seem to play only at a very attacking run a ball tempo. Joyce, Cachopa, Wright, and Brown also like to score freely but seem more prepared to try and play to match conditions.

Which infers that we haven't sorted out a batting strategy. There were problems last season but the form of Ed Joyce and Cachopa covered the cracks. Team selection is also bizarre. Is Burgoyne really a better option than Beer who can also bat.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Which infers that we haven't sorted out a batting strategy. There were problems last season but the form of Ed Joyce and Cachopa covered the cracks. Team selection is also bizarre. Is Burgoyne really a better option than Beer who can also bat.
Beer should be playing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
100 up :clap:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

No, he definately isn't. It's totally shambolic, I have to pinch myself that Robinson puts himself up as a prospective England Coach.
That said of course Sussex are looking like the new England at present!
Find Grizzley Adams and bring him back pronto. He's a winner and winning (like losing) are addictive.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
No, he definately isn't. It's totally shambolic, I have to pinch myself that Robinson puts himself up as a prospective England Coach.
That said of course Sussex are looking like the new England at present!
Find Grizzley Adams and bring him back pronto. He's a winner and winning (like losing) are addictive.

Last year I would have disagreed with you but now I concur and sense a return for Adams is the way forward.
I sympathise with Robbo about the injuries to bowlers but our batting has been weak most games. It's fair to say that the Notts attack in this game is no way up to their usual standards which makes it all so depressing.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I sympathise with Robbo about the injuries to bowlers but our batting has been weak most games. It's fair to say that the Notts attack in this game is no way up to their usual standards which makes it all so depressing.

They have probably wonder what the point is of bowling out teams for 250, when our lot can only just get 100.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Last year I would have disagreed with you but now I concur and sense a return for Adams is the way forward.

So next seasons coaching staff;

Adams
Prior
Jon Lewis

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
KP as batting consultant...... on second thoughts, maybe Big Cheese wouldn't be too keen.
Murray Goodwin is clearly the man for the Batting Coach job.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How long have we been advocating employing someone who can help the lads with their batting, two, three seasons? I like Robbo, I can't think of anyone better at rejuvenating bowling cast offs, but the lack of a batting coach seems such a glaringly obvious omission that you cannot help but wonder what the hell is going on. We're also prone to go on huge, painful losing runs, perhaps a sports psychologist might be in order too.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
192/5 - the sense of inevitability is depressing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds like a shocking shot from Cachopa - does no-one want to get his head down and graft?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Knowing Sussex we will hold out till tomorrow afternoon now and fall one before the last fence

Really? This season the 'Sussex Way' has been to basically give up and collapse - everyone playing like it's a T20 game. I can't see that changing.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
How long have we been advocating employing someone who can help the lads with their batting, two, three seasons? I like Robbo, I can't think of anyone better at rejuvenating bowling cast offs, but the lack of a batting coach seems such a glaringly obvious omission that you cannot help but wonder what the hell is going on. We're also prone to go on huge, painful losing runs, perhaps a sports psychologist might be in order too.

Agree. Robbo has done a great deal for Sussex but coaches run out of steam after a while as Fletcher and Flower did for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here