Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Luton have been fined £120,000 by the FA for their fans' homophobic chants at Brighton.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just for the record I, an actual gay person, do not consider anything posted on this thread to be homophobic or treating homophobia lightly.

Homophobia is, of course, a serious issue. This thread going on a tangent about pies is classic NSC, nothing more or less.
"Does your pie-friend know you're here?"

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The comment I made was not in reference to ‘pies’ particularly but regarding one poster in particular who suggested that football should be allowed to get away with racism or homophobic behaviour.

This is treating homophobia lightly:

Btw I am not black but my nieces and brother-in-law are and one of my nieces is gay - (and keen football fans too - Brighton, CP and Man U) who all attend games over the years - I don’t want them to be hearing racist or homophobic comments shouted from the terraces or hear other football supporters basically telling them to suck it up or take up crochet.
My niece is gay and some of the stuff SHE comes out with is borderline homophobic.

I don't think the example that you give is anything to do with homophobia - it's more someone trying to prove how much of a 'man' they are along the "Back in my day..." tedious trope.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FWIW - The comment I made was not in reference to ‘pies’ particularly but regarding one poster in particular who suggested that football should be allowed to get away with racism or homophobic behaviour.

Pies are neither here nor there (and I believe I responded with a laughter emoji to one of the comments re pies) This is treating homophobia lightly though and for what I take issue:

It’s not legal ‘to give some and take some’ anymore, not even in football stadiums - we have discrimination laws in place whether people think that’s a good thing or not and imo, it is right people are fined for discriminatory behaviour- Btw I am not black but my nieces and brother-in-law are and one of my nieces is gay - (and keen football fans too - Brighton, CP and Man U) who all attend games over the years - I don’t want them to be hearing racist or homophobic comments shouted from the terraces or hear other football supporters basically telling them to suck it up or take up crochet.
Taking it one step further, those of us who like knitting and crochet also like to go to football. It isn’t a binary choice.

i suspect the ‘real man’ doesn’t like women at football either, but I could be wrong.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Taking it one step further, those of us who like knitting and crochet also like to go to football. It isn’t a binary choice.

i suspect the ‘real man’ doesn’t like women at football either, but I could be wrong.
Absolutely 🙂

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Luton Town officials must have known of potential risk (10/10 chance) that some of their fans were likely to chant homophobic abuse and that it would no doubt come back on them. At the very least the club could have put a strongly worded message in an email to those that purchased tickets. It’s a continuous education programme. We see it at a lot of games - announcements over the PA and messages on screens about every form of discrimination being unacceptable and saying what could happen if someone was found to be engaging in such abuse.

What is clear from some of the comments here is that some NSC members clearly think homophobic abuse is acceptable.
Unfortunately, you simply cannot educate morons. Especially the ones on charlie, and the ones who can't hold their drink.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yet another club fine handed out as a result of homophobic chanting for pathetic idiots!

Luton Town will ban any individuals identified!

When will people learn that it is totally unacceptable ...

NOTE: I did reply to the original 'alleged' post on the Albion in the News Forum - but thought it worthy of being on The Big Board as that's where most of the activity seems to be.
Should we be on some sort of commission?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here