Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lunacy of the town that turned Green

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It will be interesting to see what the outcome is at the next local elections, I would expect the Greens to lose many seats and wither away given that most fair minded people are fed up with the Greens.

Many last time voted Green as a protest vote which has turned into a joke administration despised by many and loved by a few.

I foresee a rainbow coalition administration with the Greens losing out to Labour and the Conservatives losing out to UKIP in various wards. Will the LibDems even be represented ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The 10 pin bowling is unused because it is structurally unsafe - as is the ground above it. Everything else, you have pulled out your backside.

It was looked at by a structural engineers and deemed structurally safe.

"Jon Orrell, of Hemsley Orrell Partnership, carried out the inspection and said the area is currently supporting about 350mm of earth, which would weigh more than the proposed rink."

The story is here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9627993.King_Alfred_could_get_its_skates_on/

Not pulled out of my backside :lolol:

No response then :shrug:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I just wish they had focussed on our infrastructure (maintaining roads and seafront) and basic needs (recycling, cleaning and bins) rather than put all their efforts into stuff for minority groups. They have hammered motorists and ratepayers. Big chunks of their vote are from students who aren't here for the long haul. I have lived in Brighton for 60 years and can't remember a previous time when I don't really want to be living here. Unfortunately, even when they fail to get elected, much of what they have done is irreversible, either due to cost or lower priority.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is there really a gay activist called Phil MacCafferty?

His name is Phelim MacCafferty , the DM by calling him a gay activist rather than a gay rights activist implies he might be promiscuous.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Trans-Gender Equality Report, that the article refers to, was actually an all party report, as confirmed by Labour on Twitter today. And the opening of the Wild Park gates was done by council officials on advice of the Police, not the Green Party.

Still, we shouldn't go telling the facts. That's boring.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Phelim MacCafferty, I don't know if he is gay. Awkward name if he is.

He is. I'm sure the Daily Mail would take much pride in knowing that too. There was an internal coup attempt to oust Jason Kitcatt as leader and bring Phelim MacCafferty in. He's very much on the left of the party.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I foresee a rainbow coalition administration with the Greens losing out to Labour and the Conservatives losing out to UKIP in various wards. Will the LibDems even be represented ?

It will probably be a bit more straightforward than that. UKIP have made no inroads in local elections in Brighton, and are not seen as a threat. I cannot think of a ward they would do well in (Maybe Rottingdean, at a push). The Greens defeat in Hanover, their heartland, last year caused tremors. It suggests that none of their seats are safe. Queens Park is very vulnerable, and I'm not sure that the sitting councillors will be standing again.

Looking at the political map, as it stands, I suggest that Labour will have a majority, perhaps taking more than half the Green seats. The Conservatives will win back the one lost in Withdean.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've asked a couple iof simple questions that you wont/ can't answer because, with respect, you don't appear to have a clue what you are on about! It's easy to spout soundbites without backing them up!

Ok I will answer your 2)&3)

2) Explain to us all where the finance is coming from for a 'state of the art leisure centre' because, unless you haven't noticed, the council sure has hell hasn't got it?!

First off a little imagination would do. Maybe generate another sporting activity above the unused old tenpin bowling area at the King Alfred would be a good idea whilst the future of the site remains uncertain. It will be like it is for at least the next six years.

An ice rink was a good idea to put forward to the Greens at no cost to the city. Umm like http://kingalfredicerink.co.uk/

Ice rinks make £0.5m profit a year by the way.

Maybe see if an ice rink would work in the city and include it in the King Alfred specs if a temporary one was proves a success whilst the future of the site is unknown.

3. As for your earlier post about the Greens 'failure' over the King Alfred they have been in 'power' (and lets bear in mind they are a minority administration!) for nearly three years - what have the Tory/ Labour parties who had been in power for DECADES achieve on the site? We all know the answer, don't we!!

From what I can make out they didn't like the ice rink project and they didn't even want to invite or acknowledge a proposal despite the hard work that went into it and would have been at no cost to themselves

But what are they most interested in? the bloody i360.

The 10 pin bowling is unused because it is structurally unsafe - as is the ground above it. Everything else, you have pulled out your backside.

It was looked at by a structural engineers and deemed structurally safe.

"Jon Orrell, of Hemsley Orrell Partnership, carried out the inspection and said the area is currently supporting about 350mm of earth, which would weigh more than the proposed rink."

The story is here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9627993.King_Alfred_could_get_its_skates_on/

Not pulled out of my backside :lolol:

brighton bluenose & The Great Gatsbt, I’m not offended by your responses to me, but now I have replied do I not even get a “fair enough” comment from you both? :shrug:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
They've moved on from Lady Diana then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be honest, this critique from the Daily Mail will only help the Greens. It's mostly meaningless non-stories that the Mail (and its sister rag, the Argus) is so good at peddling.

The latest wheeze, regarding the coast road and about them being 'under attack', is from the opportunist Labour leader on the council - Warren Morgan, someone who makes Jason Kitcat look a glorious leader - who has decided to resort to not knowing what he's on about to fund the repairs.

In short, he said money should be diverted from the Valley Gardens project to pay for the repairs. What he had to be told - to his embarrassment - is that that money doesn't exist. It's something the council is applying for, but hasn't had approved yet.

Oh, and the transgender toilet bit is a total lie, as is the quote from Christina Summers, and the stuff about the protest camp.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
People don't seem to use it that way. People generally only give the Thumbs down for completely stupid obnoxious posts. I think I'd only ever given about 10 in total, and I felt a bit petty doing that.
Generally, you'd think after thumbs downing someone's post, you'd comment as to why you disagree. However, Mustafa instead avoids replying and just thumbs down. I personally dislike the function as it doesn't really add anything.
As a local to seven dials, there is no doubt in my mind that the new roundabout is a massive improvement both as a driver and a pedestrian. Without the traffic lights the waiting times have been greatly reduced whether on foot or in a car. Looks a lot better too.

Also note what the Green Party have done for the Level, including winning a £2m grant to make it happen. Unlike other councils, they clearly have no intention of letting Brighton become as run down as the rest of the country.

They won that for the level? Interesting, where's your evidence? The Brighton & Hove Skatepark association did a hell of a lot towards that, and many commented on the reluctance of Greens to listen to their proposals. I was a regular down the old Level skatepark when it was all wood and had attended a few meetings.

It's not run down? Where were you when the bin men went on strike?

There's no real logic in the removal of the dual carriage way then converting it to a 20mph zone. You're slowing down traffic as it is by removing such a lane then slowing it down further. There'd be more omissions in theory.

I'm interested in knowing where the lies and anti-left propaganda are. Businesses are suffering as a result of the Green's attitude towards them. Generally, what they've reported in the article is true. Council tax rise is not going to help with the high living costs of the city duped with the static salaries that aren't keeping up with the high living costs. What ever party gets in next, whether that's Tory or Labour, is going to have a hell of a clean up to do.

They've moved on from Lady Diana then.

Nah, that's the Daily Express, they're still on her.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Generally, you'd think after thumbs downing someone's post, you'd comment as to why you disagree. However, Mustafa instead avoids replying and just thumbs down. I personally dislike the function as it doesn't really add anything.
It's like starting a thread saying 'who do you want to win the next election?', and giving everyone that chooses differently from you the thumbs down. I'm not a fan of what the Green party has done, so I said so, and as I made my post I already knew he'd give me the thumbs down :rolleyes: Anyway, rant over.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's like starting a thread saying 'who do you want to win the next election?', and giving everyone that chooses differently from you the thumbs down. I'm not a fan of what the Green party has done, so I said so, and as I made my post I already knew he'd give me the thumbs down :rolleyes: Anyway, rant over.

I think I'll lighten your mood with a thumbs up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here