Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lunacy of the town that turned Green

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Getting a grant to upgrade a park is only a standard achievement that any council would have done.

What about something more committing like setting a standard for the King Alfred rather than trying to squeeze 450 residential units on the site in the new policy. They are quite happy to jump on the i360 for tourists but not a state of the art leisure centre for the tax payers.

We have one of the worst sports infrastructure in the country, and is clearly substandard.

1. Well it took the Greens to get the bloody grant - as previous Tory/ Labour administrations left the place to the junkies and winos;

2. Explain to us all where the finance is coming from for a 'state of the art leisure centre' because, unless you haven't noticed, the council sure has hell hasn't got it?!

3. As for your earlier post about the Greens 'failure' over the King Alfred they have been in 'power' (and lets bear in mind they are a minority administration!) for nearly three years - what have the Tory/ Labour parties who had been in power for DECADES achieve on the site? We all know the answer, don't we!!

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Biggest load of twaddle I have ever read on here!!

How on earth was the tree being saved a Green 'publicity stunt'?! And the fact that it was eventually saved surely confirms that they DO listen to the people ffs?!!!

And perhaps you'd like to explain how we are now 'geared up' for 'transients'?!

We have always attracted transients, it's like Ibiza in the summer, people come here for a weekend or for the festivals and end up staying here for longer. The Greens only see the city this way and have no interest in important amenities for the local tax payer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Worst decision the council ever took was to turn down Frank Gehry's plans for the redevelopment of the site around the King Alfred. We'd have had a world class iconic building up and running by now, complete with state of the art leisure facilities.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why mention that Phelim McCafferty is gay or Kitcat has a foreign born wife?

Oh yeah, if your're trying to convince a readership of bigots of something it helps to pander to their bigotry.

You mean Ania Kitcat ? The woman that called locals inbreds ? Ah yes, she isn't a bigot at all !

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
1. Well it took the Greens to get the bloody grant - as previous Tory/ Labour administrations left the place to the junkies and winos;

2. Explain to us all where the finance is coming from for a 'state of the art leisure centre' because, unless you haven't noticed, the council sure has hell hasn't got it?!

3. As for your earlier post about the Greens 'failure' over the King Alfred they have been in 'power' (and lets bear in mind they are a minority administration!) for nearly three years - what have the Tory/ Labour parties who had been in power for DECADES achieve on the site? We all know the answer, don't we!!

You are obviously a Green supporter. I don't align myself to any party, but I have experienced the way they work to form my opinion.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
And if you are not a Green supporter they wont take any notice of you, even if you are not aligned to any other party and are neutral.

This is the ABSOLUTE truth as I personally have found out !

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Worst decision the council ever took was to turn down Frank Gehry's plans for the redevelopment of the site around the King Alfred. We'd have had a world class iconic building up and running by now, complete with state of the art leisure facilities.

Not really, it wouldn't have achieved a national sports standard with a 25m pool, no diving facilities, and play pool. The current policy is for exactly the same, but instead of 850 residential units it is 450.

The biggest problem with the council is that it may change from party to party on the surface, but the ones who really run the show, dictate, and whose jobs a safe, are the so called high paid public servants within.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As a local to seven dials, there is no doubt in my mind that the new roundabout is a massive improvement both as a driver and a pedestrian. Without the traffic lights the waiting times have been greatly reduced whether on foot or in a car. Looks a lot better too.

Also note what the Green Party have done for the Level, including winning a £2m grant to make it happen. Unlike other councils, they clearly have no intention of letting Brighton become as run down as the rest of the country.

Of course the 7 Dials is fine just as long as you're not partially sighted or blind. Taking down the protection barriers against advice was a very poor decision by the Greens. It was pointed out to them before work started and still in their arrogance they decided to do so.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
You are obviously a Green supporter. I don't align myself to any party, but I have experienced the way they work to form my opinion.

I've asked a couple iof simple questions that you wont/ can't answer because, with respect, you don't appear to have a clue what you are on about! It's easy to spout soundbites without backing them up!

I am not a Green supporter, per se, but I can understand that they are trying to improve our city for the benefit of all despite coming to power at a time of unprecedented central government massive cuts to local authority funding - and just as importantly I understand that with the Madeira Drive terraces falling to bits, part of the main A259 coast road through the centre of town out of action for weeks if not months that previous Tory and Labour administrations have a helluva lot to answer for too!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

The plans were an over development and it nearly got passed thanks to brown envelopes.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Of course the 7 Dials is fine just as long as you're not partially sighted or blind. Taking down the protection barriers against advice was a very poor decision by the Greens. It was pointed out to them before work started and still in their arrogance they decided to do so.

Yeah because blind people all go rushing right across the Seven Dials ALL the time now without a carer or guide dog in sight!!

There's thousands of accidents every week - haven't you read it in the Argus??!!¬!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I am not a Green supporter, per se, but I can understand that they are trying to improve our city for the benefit of all despite coming to power at a time of unprecedented central government massive cuts to local authority funding - and just as importantly I understand that with the Madeira Drive terraces falling to bits, part of the main A259 coast road through the centre of town out of action for weeks if not months that previous Tory and Labour administrations have a helluva lot to answer for too!!

And yet on the Argus website you defend the Greens to the hilt and insult anyone that says anything negative about the party ???

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
The plans were an over development and it nearly got passed thanks to brown envelopes.

And your evidence is...............................?!!

And as for the Greens being 'money-grabbing morons' - are you 12yo?!

Parking permits/ zones and pay parking/ meters were introduced and/or extended by previous Labour and Tory regimes and despite bull**** promises to review parking they will not rescind anything the Greens have done!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
And yet on the Argus website you defend the Greens to the hilt and insult anyone that says anything negative about the party ???

I did say 'per se' - and then explained a) that I can see what they are trying to achieve under difficult financial strictures and b) pointed out that the previous administrations of either party have not necessarily done as well as they like to pretend ie it was under Labour that Brighton became known as Skid-Row-on-Sea!!

As for insulting anyone - I give as good as I often get!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've asked a couple iof simple questions that you wont/ can't answer because, with respect, you don't appear to have a clue what you are on about! It's easy to spout soundbites without backing them up!

Ok I will answer your 2) & 3)

First off a little imagination would do. Maybe generate another sporting activity above the unused old tenpin bowling area at the King Alfred would be a good idea whilst the future of the site remains uncertain. It will be like it is for at least the next six years.

An ice rink was a good idea to put forward to the Greens at no cost to the city. Umm like http://kingalfredicerink.co.uk/

Ice rinks make £0.5m profit a year by the way.

Maybe see if an ice rink would work in the city and include it in the King Alfred specs if a temporary one was proves a success whilst the future of the site is unknown.

From what I can make out they didn't like the ice rink project and they didn't even want to invite or acknowledge a proposal despite the hard work that went into it and would have been at no cost to themselves

But what are they most interested in? the bloody i360.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Regardless of any politics, I think the 7 dials redesign is a disaster.

Introducing a right turn going south at BHASVIC, whilst changing the roundabout to single lane and replacing pelican crossings with zebra crossings has meant large queues of frustrated motorists at most times of the day.

The single lane means that for any traffic pulling onto the roundabout they are entirely dependent on other motorists indicators (and we all know how bad those are !) for judging their exits. You can no longer use speed or position on the roundabout to help that decision.

Removing all barriers and replacing pelican crossings with zebra crossings means there is now a constant stream of pedestrians crossing roads from all angles and directions. (Lucky the motorists aren't distracted trying to guess other vehicles directions or frustrated by the inevitable delays).

Finally, extending the roundabout with paved areas for buses and large vehicles to turn would work very well if all pedestrians understood that they can't stand or walk on these areas when buses or large vehicles are approaching. (Those vehicles being distracted by the constant stream of pedestrians across the zebra crossings and trying to guess the exit of other vehicles).

I have been waiting a while to get this off my chest as I drive and walk that area most days and have seen a lot of very serious near misses since the 'improvements'. And before anyone starts the pedestrian/motorist thing, I am not judging, just telling it like it is.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ok I will answer your 2) & 3)

First off a little imagination would do. Maybe generate another sporting activity above the unused old tenpin bowling area would be a good idea whilst the future of the site remains uncertain. It will be like it is for at least the next six years.

An ice rink was a good idea to put forward to the Greens at no cost to the city. Umm like http://kingalfredicerink.co.uk/

Ice rinks make £0.5m profit a year by the way.

Maybe see if an ice rink would work in the city and include it in the King Alfred specs if a temporary one was proves a success whilst the future of the site is unknown.

From what I can make out they didn't like the ice rink project and they didn't even want to invite or acknowledge a proposal despite the hard work that went into it.
The 10 pin bowling is unused because it is structurally unsafe - as is the ground above it. Everything else, you have pulled out your backside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here