Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lunacy of the town that turned Green

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The 10 pin bowling is unused because it is structurally unsafe - as is the ground above it. Everything else, you have pulled out your backside.

It was looked at by a structural engineers and deemed structurally safe.

"Jon Orrell, of Hemsley Orrell Partnership, carried out the inspection and said the area is currently supporting about 350mm of earth, which would weigh more than the proposed rink."

The story is here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9627993.King_Alfred_could_get_its_skates_on/

Not pulled out of my backside :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I would describe that article as a load of sensationalist crap, however, setting the article to one side I cannot wait for the greens to lose enough wards(probably to Labour) to lose overall control of our fine city.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah because blind people all go rushing right across the Seven Dials ALL the time now without a carer or guide dog in sight!!

I'll take the advice of groups representing blind and partially sighted rather than Argus stats thank you. Each and every group has highlight how the new design, specifically without the barriers, is more dangerous for partially sighted and blind people. Given the nearly million pounds spent on the scheme to make it more "pedestrian" friendly it seems stupid to make it less friendly for this group of people. Two Green Councillors have defended the removal by saying it makes the area "look better".

And your evidence is...............................?!!

And as for the Greens being 'money-grabbing morons' - are you 12yo?!

Parking permits/ zones and pay parking/ meters were introduced and/or extended by previous Labour and Tory regimes and despite bull**** promises to review parking they will not rescind anything the Greens have done!

You've assumed my signature is about parking - it isn't. It's about them demanding ever more money via council tax, allotment fees and fees for sporting facilities. The later two being something you would expect the Greens to support not make even less accessible due to increases in fees. That said about parking fees, strange that they claim the residents parking scheme charges are ONLY to cover costs but Bristol can supply permits at half the cost ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seven Dials was incepted long ago and the public demanded that the tree was saved. I'd say a council listening to the tax payers was a progressive one.

The new roundabout is much better from my experience.

True, it used to be like the chariot races in The Colosseum and I always approached it expecting to be t-boned. Thankfully it is now difficult to get on to it at speed and as such there is a much smoother flow of traffic. Mind you, a few more people using their indicators wouldn't go amiss.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
2. Explain to us all where the finance is coming from for a 'state of the art leisure centre' because, unless you haven't noticed, the council sure has hell hasn't got it?!

Maybe by using the loan from public funds that they have now given to a private company who are already millions in debt to build the i360 and instead using it to fund a new leisure centre ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Getting a grant to upgrade a park is only a standard achievement that any council would have done.

What about something more committing like setting a standard for the King Alfred rather than trying to squeeze 450 residential units on the site in the new policy. They are quite happy to jump on the i360 for tourists but not a state of the art leisure centre for the tax payers.

We have one of the worst sports infrastructure in the country, and is clearly substandard.

What stopped other administrations doing something about the level for the 15 to 20 years it had been a shithole for then?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Regardless of any politics, I think the 7 dials redesign is a disaster.

Introducing a right turn going south at BHASVIC, whilst changing the roundabout to single lane and replacing pelican crossings with zebra crossings has meant large queues of frustrated motorists at most times of the day.

The single lane means that for any traffic pulling onto the roundabout they are entirely dependent on other motorists indicators (and we all know how bad those are !) for judging their exits. You can no longer use speed or position on the roundabout to help that decision.

Removing all barriers and replacing pelican crossings with zebra crossings means there is now a constant stream of pedestrians crossing roads from all angles and directions. (Lucky the motorists aren't distracted trying to guess other vehicles directions or frustrated by the inevitable delays).

Finally, extending the roundabout with paved areas for buses and large vehicles to turn would work very well if all pedestrians understood that they can't stand or walk on these areas when buses or large vehicles are approaching. (Those vehicles being distracted by the constant stream of pedestrians across the zebra crossings and trying to guess the exit of other vehicles).

I have been waiting a while to get this off my chest as I drive and walk that area most days and have seen a lot of very serious near misses since the 'improvements'. And before anyone starts the pedestrian/motorist thing, I am not judging, just telling it like it is.

I see the complete opposite. For cyclists and motorcyclists the previous design was a nightmare. Since the new roundabout I've not had a problem, it's great.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
True, it used to be like the chariot races in The Colosseum and I always approached it expecting to be t-boned. Thankfully it is now difficult to get on to it at speed and as such there is a much smoother flow of traffic. Mind you, a few more people using their indicators wouldn't go amiss.

Seven Dials is still just a traffic mess tho eh? Same as a shamefully huge chunk of town, just being used as a rat run.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see the complete opposite. For cyclists and motorcyclists the previous design was a nightmare. Since the new roundabout I've not had a problem, it's great.

Going to have to be mature and sensible here and agree to disagree.

I feel we've let NSC down

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seven Dials is still just a traffic mess tho eh? Same as a shamefully huge chunk of town, just being used as a rat run.

On the contrary, it has been much better since the changes. I think there have been less queues and the traffic flows well.
There was a lot of additional traffic there on Friday because that was part of the diversion from the sea front.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It will be interesting to see what the outcome is at the next local elections, I would expect the Greens to lose many seats and wither away given that most fair minded people are fed up with the Greens.

Many last time voted Green as a protest vote which has turned into a joke administration despised by many and loved by a few.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I haven't liked many of the things the Greens have done on the council. But if the Fail hates them so much, they must be doing more right than I'd imagined ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here