Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty....

kjgood

Blackmail

Afraid guys the Malaysian owner does have an existing relationship with Cardiff City since 2010. He was chairman and owner and major sponsor certainly last season and has already bank rolled them for lots of millions that he says he cant sustain without a major boost to income.

Remember they are £70m in debt including £15m to Sam Hammam and also a large sum to that ******* Peter Ridsdale. Now i'm not saying i would like an investor to come into the Albion and change everything, but Cardiff are losing £1m a month even with 21-22,000 gates. TBH its a case of do something or go bust.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No. He is blackmailing them. But plain ol' blackmail. It isn't emotional blackmail.

I think there's some confusion going on here. In this thread, after I explaininedthat it wasn't blackmail because the investor was offering to give Cardiff money under certain conditions, someone suggested it was emotional blackmail. I was explaining that for emotional blackmail an existing relationship is necessary.

In line wth your analogy: if the person offered to invest in sainsbury's on the condition they changed their uniform to blue, it isn't blackmail. Which is what is happening with Cardiff.

If Mrs Sainsbury told her husband that if he really loved her, he'd change the uniform to blue, that's emotional blackmail.

It isn't any form of blackmail. He isnt demanding anything with force or menaces. He's offering a sum of money with certain conditions. No more, no less. It is entirely up to CCFC if they feel that their tradition is worth the money he is offering. In this case they feel it is. They could quite easily turn down the money and accept the consequences (administration and potential liquidation I guess).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still support the team, but would consider giving up ST. I wouldn't want to help line the pockets of the people who think it's a good idea to change colours just like that. Definitely wouldn't buy any merchandise. I realise if lots of people did this it would hurt the club itself, but I would be deseperate to get rid of any owners who did this so would think of it as a lesser evil.

In what way would you still be supporting them? Watching on TV?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Trust, encouragement, reward, loyalty... satisfaction.

david_brent_111.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It isn't any form of blackmail. He isnt demanding anything with force or menaces. He's offering a sum of money with certain conditions. No more, no less. It is entirely up to CCFC if they feel that their tradition is worth the money he is offering. In this case they feel it is. They could quite easily turn down the money and accept the consequences (administration and potential liquidation I guess).

I'm with you on that, The sainsbury analogy was blackmail.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I also believe you are right about the fans starting another club called 'Wimbledon', don't know what became of them though, don't suppose they'll ever make it

And while the franchise soon dumped the traditional Wimbledon blue, the new club adopted it from the start. Identity, continuity, tradition, history - you can't underestimate these things. Previous Albion regimes have swapped the stripes for various other designs, but they've always been blue and white, and the stripes have always returned because that's what the people want. I've supported Albion in blue with white sleeves, white with blue trim, blue with white trim, and even that strange kit with the narrow stripes and blue sleeves. But I can't imagine supporting a red team.

And of course, Cardiff is not the first club to have such a radical change foisted on it. I remember that in 1973 a manager changed a club's traditional colours from claret and sky blue to red and blue and even changed their nickname from "Glaziers" to "Eagles." And they were never heard of again.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Spain, 2010. Not to name many more, he's right but only of the fact that Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal all wear red.

Incorrect. Spain didn't wear red in the final. England are the only team ever to win a World Cup final wearing red.

Some successful club teams wear red, but it isn't wearing red that makes them win. Ask Real Madrid or Accrington Stanley.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Afraid guys the Malaysian owner does have an existing relationship with Cardiff City since 2010. He was chairman and owner and major sponsor certainly last season and has already bank rolled them for lots of millions that he says he cant sustain without a major boost to income.

Yes, but he isn't using that relationship to emotionally blackmail the club, it isn't really established in that way. He's not saying "if you loved me you'd do this". He's saying "I'll give you £6m if you change colours". Cold hard free market investment, not emotional blackmail.

Remember they are £70m in debt including £15m to Sam Hammam and also a large sum to that ******* Peter Ridsdale. Now i'm not saying i would like an investor to come into the Albion and change everything, but Cardiff are losing £1m a month even with 21-22,000 gates. TBH its a case of do something or go bust.

Yes, and this man's money isn't going to solve that. As I understand it, this money just means they absolutely have to go up this season.

Perhaps a more sensible "something" would be to sell all first team players and cut costs, in combination with lesser investment from actual fans of the club that might respect the club's history and tradition, or inviting a consortium of them clubbing together. Surely they can make £6m selling some of their better players?

Last edited:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
He's not saying "if you loved me you'd do this". He's saying "I'll give you £6m if you change colours". Cold hard free market investment, not emotional blackmail.

He's saying "I'll LEND you £30m if you rebrand". It isn't clearing any debts, just simply adding to them.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'll be loaning Swindon Town a few quid then, then just sitting back and watching the money roll in...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He's saying "I'll LEND you £30m if you rebrand". It isn't clearing any debts, just simply adding to them.

but he has no hope of recovering that loan unless he makes them a success. selling on really isnt an option for Cardiff any more.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So enough about their rebranding, we now have plenty of time to come up with a witty chant for our trip to cardiff.

So let's give it our best :)

Cardiff the tragic dragons
Changed their strip to red
They used to be the bluebirds
Now all of that is dead

It needs a bit more work but you get the gist.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So enough about their rebranding, we now have plenty of time to come up with a witty chant for our trip to cardiff.

So let's give it our best :)

Something simple like

"what's it like to see some blue?"
"you're blue, and you know you are!"

"We wore green
We wore black
Now we're blue we won't go back
with a nick nack paddy whack give the dog a done
cardiff dragons f... off home"

Perhaps when the inevitable "you're gay and you know you are" chants start we can reply with something about knowing colour schemes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here