Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Must be something in the air: Gillingham are also changing their home kit from blue to red this season. Supposedly a nod to their centenary or some such anniversary I seem to recall.

Don't think any of their 37 season ticket holders have asked for a refund though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the Gills are trying to appeal to the lucrative Far East market either :lolol:

(though you never know with Scally)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
If some arsehole wanted to "re-brand" the Albion I wouldn't take very kindly to it. In fact I'd do everything in my power to get rid of him/them. While still supporting the team of course.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Emotionally, they are. They're being threatened with the complete loss of the club unless they lie down and take it, basically.

No, they're not.

Emotional blackmail relies on an established relationship between the two parties. There isn't one.

Held to ransom? Perhaps. Over a barrel? Maybe. Blackmail, emotionally or otherwise? No.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
No, they're not.

Emotional blackmail relies on an established relationship between the two parties. There isn't one.

Held to ransom? Perhaps. Over a barrel? Maybe. Blackmail, emotionally or otherwise? No.

So you think there's no established relationship between Cardiff City and their existing fanbase? Right-o, old boy. We'd best agree to disagree.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No, they're not.

I think in the loosest sense of the word it is a form of blackmail.

"You can stay in business...but only if you accept our rebranding ideas"

Sounds pretty blackmaily to me.

think your always going to get a few that dont support the club and move on but like to think the majority would stick with it. I guess on the other hand you have FC United of Manchester (or whatever they are called) which shows a protest can actually gain ground and move into a new club?

MK Dons another example? Didnt the fans make another Wimbledon?

yes they are called FC United of Manchester, I also believe you are right about the fans starting another club called 'Wimbledon', don't know what became of them though, don't suppose they'll ever make it

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So you think there's no established relationship between Cardiff City and their existing fanbase? Right-o, old boy. We'd best agree to disagree.

No, there's no established relationship between the new investor (who is offering £6m on the condition they change their strip) and the club.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Still support the team, keep my old shirts

this and the memories
the Welsh can't even support the GB team at the Olympics
sooner they get their independance the better

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If someone tried to change Brighton from blue or white to a complete different colour and they have no previous links to the club, then I would feel the need to boycott it until those owners went away.

The colour of the home kit of a team is their identity, it is the only thing that stays consistent when every else changes. Whether Brighton played at the goldstone, Gillingham,Withdean or the Amex we played in the stripes and that's what identified us,kept us Brighton and hove Albion in my mind.

I find my self buying blue things because it reminds me of the Albion.

I have a lot of sympathy for he Cardiff fans, I hope I never have to make that choice.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think in the loosest sense of the word it is a form of blackmail.

"You can stay in business...but only if you accept our rebranding ideas"

Sounds pretty blackmaily to me.

there is another angle here, he'd lose the lot if he let it collapse.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
So enough about their rebranding, we now have plenty of time to come up with a witty chant for our trip to cardiff.

So let's give it our best :)

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Surprised its only 70, although these days we are so docile maybe we only have 0.5% of the population that have any backbone.

Tradition is identity and identity is culture, and any community that does not value its culture is doomed.

Football may not be high culture but its been a pretty big part of my life over the last 35 years plus. My Dad still supports BHA (as an 82 year old) and he went to the Goldstone with his Albion supporting Dad before WWII.

Cardiff's colours and badge are being changed by people who have no concern with the culture of Cardiff City and consequently they are pissing on the years of culture that Cardiff fans (alive and dead) have created for their club, and that future generations of fans should cherish.

Some things are more important than money............I would rather BHA languished in the lower divisions with our culture in tact than take the money from owners who had no interest in the club other than a vehicle for their own vanity.

f*** them, f*** that.................couldn't give a f*** if I am in the 0.5% either because I know I am right...........the other 99.5% are wrong.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
At least they can wear their home strip when they come to the Amex.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
No, there's no established relationship between the new investor (who is offering £6m on the condition they change their strip) and the club.

My last response on this 'coz I can tell we're not going to agree on the definition; a bloke who's never worked for Sainsbury's, for example, but picks them purely as a sufficiently wealthy company to target, calls their head office and tells them he's injected poison into yoghurt pots at a random selection of stores and won't reveal which stores unless a substantial cash payment is made to him. He's not blackmailing them because he has no existing relationship with them?

Since my copy of the OED is at work, Google's definition will have to suffice for now. It includes, among others: 'Force (someone) to do something by using threats or manipulating their feelings'. (My italics). It doesn't have to involve an existing relationship, it doesn't have to involve money even - it can still be blackmail.

BBassic put it beautifully – 'it sounds pretty blackmaily to me.'

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My last response on this 'coz I can tell we're not going to agree on the definition; a bloke who's never worked for Sainsbury's, for example, but picks them purely as a sufficiently wealthy company to target, calls their head office and tells them he's injected poison into yoghurt pots at a random selection of stores and won't reveal which stores unless a substantial cash payment is made to him. He's not blackmailing them because he has no existing relationship with them?

No. The man in your sainsbury is blackmailing them. But plain ol' blackmail. It isn't emotional blackmail.

I think there's some confusion going on here. In this thread, after I explaininedthat it wasn't blackmail because the investor was offering to give Cardiff money under certain conditions, someone suggested it was emotional blackmail. I was explaining that for emotional blackmail an existing relationship is necessary.

In line wth your analogy: if the person offered to invest in sainsbury's on the condition they changed their uniform to blue, it isn't blackmail. Which is what is happening with Cardiff.

If Mrs Sainsbury told her husband that if he really loved her, he'd change the uniform to blue, that's emotional blackmail.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did people protest when our original crest was changed to a dolphin? Did they protest a couple of years later when it was changed to a seagull? Were there protests when e changed from green and white to black and white? To blue and white? To just White? to just blue? I know a few people grumbled a bit a few years ago when we went to light blue but no serious protests.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The colour of the home kit of a team is their identity, it is the only thing that stays consistent when every else changes. Whether Brighton played at the goldstone, Gillingham,Withdean or the Amex we played in the stripes and that's what identified us,kept us Brighton and hove Albion in my mind.

Not always true at the Goldstone, all blue in 1st Division, all white with blue cuffs and collar ealry 70s (or was it late 60s) and the blue version of the Arsenal strip, blue with white sleeves.

I think the all white with blue trimmings only lasted a season, but would would be reaction if we did that tomorrow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here