Lower league Pompey

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Global

Feb 1, 2012
You seem to be a very reasonable guy and I do feel for you in terms of potentially seeing your club liquidated . BUT I also think that the serial defaulters such as palace and Pompey encourage other clubs/club owners to follow the same path.

Leicester seem like they be at it again? More clubs will be saved by Pompey folding than by Pompey getting away with ridiculous debts again.

Leicester certainly seem like they are following the same path. I would like to think that we would act as a deterant but alas that will not be the case. Fear many other clubs will follow suit over the next few years.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Leicester certainly seem like they are following the same path. I would like to think that we would act as a deterant but alas that will not be the case. Fear many other clubs will follow suit over the next few years.

Global - you do seem a decent chap - but Pompey have not even acted as a deterrent for themselves !

Global

Feb 1, 2012
Global - you do seem a decent chap - but Pompey have not even acted as a deterrent for themselves !

Yes I get that. All I can say is that I wish it would have done but it hasn't. That is why personally rather than have another owner with false promises I would rather start again. Would have to question why anybody would want to buy Pompey..just as I did when CSI did and we are seeing where that has got us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My only hope when we get into the Premier League is that we adopt the Blackpool strategy on wages and contracts. If we don't we might as well change the clubs name to Brighton & Hove Palace.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Leicester massively took the piss 8-9 years ago when they got relegated from the Prem, kept their Prem squad in the Championship, went into administration and paid 10p in the £ for their new stadium. And promptly went straight back up.

They took 6 points off us that season with their Premier League squad they couldn't afford, the FUCKERS, whilst us on our shoestring budget were relegated by 5 pts. Years ago I almost came to blows on a works curry night out when it emerged one of them was a Leicester fan and started giving it the billy big bollocks over us. He didn't take too kindly to some of the pointed home truths I sent his way.

Do you appreciate the impact clubs like yours have on clubs like ours ? I don't think you do. Its always about YOUR problems.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Quite gladly sell our more expensive players as I have said before

which makes it even more confusing that the club declined to sell three players two weeks ago (sales which would have cleared the debt to HMRC) and "honest Michael" Appleton was quoted as saying that he didn't see the point of selling players when he couldn't replace them

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Leicester massively took the piss 8-9 years ago when they got relegated from the Prem, kept their Prem squad in the Championship, went into administration and paid 10p in the £ for their new stadium. And promptly went straight back up.

They took 6 points off us that season with their Premier League squad they couldn't afford, the FUCKERS, whilst us on our shoestring budget were relegated by 5 pts. Years ago I almost came to blows on a works curry night out when it emerged one of them was a Leicester fan and started giving it the billy big bollocks over us. He didn't take too kindly to some of the pointed home truths I sent his way.

Do you appreciate the impact clubs like yours have on clubs like ours ? I don't think you do. Its always about YOUR problems.

f***ing WORD. I hate Leicester more than any other slimey **** club. Wankers

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
which makes it even more confusing that the club declined to sell three players two weeks ago (sales which would have cleared the debt to HMRC) and "honest Michael" Appleton was quoted as saying that he didn't see the point of selling players when he couldn't replace them

Reading the article about the Australian feeder clubs being owed substantial amounts of money , will these clubs have potentially got additional payments for academy players playing in the 1st team ? Perhaps Appleton cannot select them if it triggers a bonus payment. In the past some footballers at other league clubs haven't been selected to avoid triggering appearance bonuses payable to the player's former club or to ensure a contract is not renewed.

D

Deleted member 2719

The majority of Pompey fans revelled in our misfortune and i won't be sympathising with any of them, most of them could not see that they bought success and at the tax payers expense, i just feel sorry for all the businesses that never got paid for their services.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Reading the article about the Australian feeder clubs being owed substantial amounts of money , will these clubs have potentially got additional payments for academy players playing in the 1st team ? Perhaps Appleton cannot select them if it triggers a bonus payment. In the past some footballers at other league clubs haven't been selected to avoid triggering appearance bonuses payable to the player's former club or to ensure a contract is not renewed.

I love an honest man who thinks in straight lines and you are indeed such a one..................PFC have 30 players in their academy. I suspect that somewhere in that lot there are options available. However, as they have made no payments to the same Australian clubs, in some cases for three years, I don't believe that incurring theoretical additional costs by playing someone in the first team is an issue which will cause the Portsmouth management any sleepless nights :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The majority of Pompey fans revelled in our misfortune and i won't be sympathising with any of them, most of them could not see that they bought success and at the tax payers expense, i just feel sorry for all the businesses that never got paid for their services.

Y'see I'm not really sure they did. We were never even on their radar as they scaled the heights of the Premier League, FA Cup Finals and Europe. Little old Brighton and our joke athletics track only really came into view again after they got relegated and we humiliated them in the Cup last year.

Pompey fans would've revelled in Southamptons plight big time. But we were about as relevent to them as Crawley are to us.

D

Deleted member 2719

Y'see I'm not really sure they did. We were never even on their radar as they scaled the heights of the Premier League, FA Cup Finals and Europe. Little old Brighton and our joke athletics track only really came into view again after they got relegated and we humiliated them in the Cup last year.

Pompey fans would've revelled in Southamptons plight big time. But we were about as relevent to them as Crawley are to us.

You maybe right for the more Pompey,fareham and Gosport fans, But their Sussex based fans were always bragging 'when did you last win the cup'? 'you will never be as big as Pompey' etc.I had one say who are you losing to this weekend when i was in sainsburys he mean't it, just after we had had our slight drop in form.

Most of them are arrogant around here, mind you i can see the West side of West Sussex turning back to the stripes soon.(opps that sounded arrogant...................maybe not........ just true :D)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm with Bozza on this. Is there anything to stop Tony Bloom buying Reyes, Razak, Vokes etc and putting them and the rest on £20k a week on five-year contracts? Gus has said he wants a better wage structure. Folks on here would be delighted. What if Gus then went to Spurs, we got crap, got relegated, Bloom got bored and left - how soon til we are in Pompey's position? what could we do about it? 'Sack the Board'? and then the next one is just as bad? Fans have little control.

Some people on this board have aired their hesitation at the big signings during the summer (I was and am still one of the concerned, although less so now) and they were largely shouted down. I suspect this is what happened at Pompey during their glory days. For the record if we do start to throw silly money around for players and wages I will be screaming for caution. Football is a dangerous game as s many clubs have found out and i think it is vital that we don't get carried away and we live within our means, if that means staying in this division then so be it. We have been so close to not having a club that a club of any kind continues to be a blessing for me and all this we are experiencing now is just a dreamy icing on the cake.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Plus Bloom is a 3rd generation Albion director with blue and white blood in his veins.

Whereas Pompey have grasped at and ushered in seemingly EVERY dodgy unknown foreign businessman who's washed up in the Solent, dragged him through the Fratton door and immediately gone out SPLURGING on his rubber chequebook almost before he's pulled it from his back pocket - and then gone "oh GOLLY !" when (surprise surprise) its gone spectacularly tits up. YET AGAIN.

f*** em. Hampshire & District Pub 2nd XI League beckons. And is richly deserved for PFC.

We've just been blessed to have Bloom - Pompey and lots of other clubs have never had the luck to have a rich supporter as a sugar daddy. Maybe not something to gloat about.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Plus Bloom is a 3rd generation Albion director with blue and white blood in his veins.

Whereas Pompey have grasped at and ushered in seemingly EVERY dodgy unknown foreign businessman who's washed up in the Solent, dragged him through the Fratton door and immediately gone out SPLURGING on his rubber chequebook almost before he's pulled it from his back pocket - and then gone "oh GOLLY !" when (surprise surprise) its gone spectacularly tits up. YET AGAIN.

f*** em. Hampshire & District Pub 2nd XI League beckons. And is richly deserved for PFC.

Well that's one view on it I suppose. Clouded by hatred but a view non the less.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am not sure what people want from Pompey supporters. I would imagine that most right minded Pompey fans are appalled by what is happening to their club (as global has stated). I feel for them as their club comes crashing down round their ears. Can they really have been expected to protest about what was happening to them as they scaled the heights? I would guess that many of the more reasonable and intelligent Pompey fans would have questioned how this was all being paid for with the income from a crumbling Fratton Park. I would guess that these were not the fans getting in everyone's faces and giving it the big I am. It is these fans I feel sorry for.

Every club has the mindless clueless morons who can't shut the f*** up. Unfortunately these are the loud mouths that generally represent a club. There are some decent fans at Pompey who do not deserve their club going out of business. Should they be more vocal about what is going on? maybe they should. Do they deserve some of the crap they are getting on this thread? No I don't think they do. Decent fans should not be confused with the loud mouth idiots you meet in the pub/at the game/wherever, who don't have a clue and should be ignored and treated like the fuckwits they are.

Maybe the decent football community as a whole, every decent fan at every club should join together and lobby for some decent leadership within the football league and the FA to rid the game of the charlatans, spivs and con men that are taking us all for a ride.

Someone mentioned earlier that we as the readers cannot control the media. We can because it is us that buys what they put out.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The solution is to make administration more of a penalty so that it becomes a last resort and do away with the stupid football debt priority. That way all clubs and players would have the solvency of clubs in their interests. On a Pompey board just now pointed out that the players will get their money (though they are not getting paid now) and have no interest in being off-loaded through a sale or a loan. Better to stay where they are and let the debt to them rack up. And the club is not bothered as they can (usually) just opt for admin, and then spend, spend, spend when they are out the other side. Make the punishment a three division relegation and limit salary payments to a proportion of turnover. We must get this farce under control.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
All of my in laws are intelligent rational pompey STHs, a little bit of harmless banter after our last few wins has been met with 'when did you last win a major trophy'. What confuses me is that for STHs of 30yr+ in some cases there is not a lot of concern at the present plight. Maybe they are content that they had the 10yr glory run? or just in denial ? or in turmoil but do not show it ? In the Albion bad days I had many a sleepless night.Strange.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The solution is to make administration more of a penalty so that it becomes a last resort and do away with the stupid football debt priority. That way all clubs and players would have the solvency of clubs in their interests. On a Pompey board just now pointed out that the players will get their money (though they are not getting paid now) and have no interest in being off-loaded through a sale or a loan. Better to stay where they are and let the debt to them rack up. And the club is not bothered as they can (usually) just opt for admin, and then spend, spend, spend when they are out the other side. Make the punishment a three division relegation and limit salary payments to a proportion of turnover. We must get this farce under control.

I believe that Pompey were set a wage cap of 250K per week for the squad that the fielded last yr. The manager was crying that they could only field 15 players 0 but that was because they preferred to play the big time charlies rather than give some youth a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports