Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Talksport reckon 15 point deduction is on the cards.

Not enough, IMO.

Should be like Luton and their minus 40 points or whatever it was and then another minus 40 the season after thus condemning them to League 2.

And even thats too good for them

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So Financial Boost (BBC News) to Administration in the space of a half-day. That is some going even for Pompey.

I would imagine the £2.5m disappeared a bit sharpish (not to HMRC) and as the administrator can't see anything else on the horizon he has decided to pull the plug.

A lot of assumptions I know but I bet not far off the truth.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
only 10 pts would be a disgrace. Doesn't even put them in the bottom three.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Surely if a club has gone into administration as many times as Pompey they should get AUTOMATICALLY relegated.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
£48m in parachute payments for a team that sustained their position in the Prem by (not) paying for players they couldn't afford. Jesus - there is something sick in football right now. How can teams run fairly ever hope to compete with teams who simply roll their debts off and/or coming down from the Prem with huge parachure payments?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely if a club has gone into administration as many times as Pompey they should get AUTOMATICALLY relegated.

I agree with the sentiment, but the practicality of it doesn't stand up.

If you automatically relegate a club halfway through the season, it makes the remainder of their games totally meaningless to them. The teams who have already played them twice this season, when they were still battling, will have had it harder than the teams who still have a game left against them, where it'll (in theory) be nothing more than a bye to 3 pts.

I'd take 15 points off them, puts them bottom of the league 10 points adrift of safety, so almost gone but not quite. And start them on -15 next season as well.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

If you automatically relegate a club halfway through the season, it makes the remainder of their games totally meaningless to them. The teams who have already played them twice this season, when they were still battling, will have had it harder than the teams who still have a game left against them, where it'll (in theory) be nothing more than a bye to 3 pts.

I'd take 15 points off them, puts them bottom of the league 10 points adrift of safety, so almost gone but not quite. And start them on -15 next season as well.

Or just don't tell them they've been relegated until the season is over :D

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Tweet from CPFClatest:

"Palace are spending 88% of their total revenue on player wages. Deloitte say 60% is sustainable"

How much of that 88% goes towards the entirely reasonable and value for money wages being collected by Glenn Murray?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Pomey are going to deducted 10 point - just mentioned on BBC five live - is this true !

minimum 10 or could be 15 depending on interpretation.

It will be interesting to see if they apply for administration what will happen - it may yet not be granted

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
minimum 10 or could be 15 depending on interpretation.

It will be interesting to see if they apply for administration what will happen - it may yet not be granted

Quite, the court could well liquidate them on the spot as they have previous when it comes to trading whilst insolvent.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They should, as all teams should, be deducted only 10 points...

10 points for EACH time they have gone into admin.
i.e. 2nd admin -20 points
3rd admin -30 points
etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would agree with that as a solution but would add a 12 month transfer embargo on clubs going into administration. The club would then have to apply for it to be lifted after the 12 month period and it only be granted subject to their satisfactory financial conduct. By doing this the FL/FA would be seen to be doing something to keep their house in order and helping the clubs and football in general.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How about '+1 relegation' - if they finish safe in the championship, they get relegated to league 1, if they finish in the relegation zone of the championship, they suffer that relegation, plus one more so are relegated to league 2. That way, they are playing for something and are punished (if you're already looking at relegation a points deduction means nothing).

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Exactly - so just like Palace a couple of seasons ago they get their 'punishment', don't go down and then carry on as you were... RIDICULOUS - and sickening for Doncaster et al.

Not really though..Palace were on the cusp of the play offs TBF, they lost two of there best players for next to nothing and the manager left..so not quite carry on as you were!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would agree with that as a solution but would add a 12 month transfer embargo on clubs going into administration. The club would then have to apply for it to be lifted after the 12 month period and it only be granted subject to their satisfactory financial conduct. By doing this the FL/FA would be seen to be doing something to keep their house in order and helping the clubs and football in general.

Agreed.

How about '+1 relegation' - if they finish safe in the championship, they get relegated to league 1, if they finish in the relegation zone of the championship, they suffer that relegation, plus one more so are relegated to league 2. That way, they are playing for something and are punished (if you're already looking at relegation a points deduction means nothing).

So basically you're going down, but you're going down TWO divisions if you finish this season 21st or below.
Mmmm....I quite like that you know. It has a dash of CRUELTY about it which I find enticing. I'd also still start them on -15 the next season regardless.

Nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here