Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Can someone please provide a link to where RDZ was discussing all this. I have seen several post match interviews and not heard the discussion about Ali Mac and Caicedo. What I did here and to me is more worrying than losing a couple of players is that RDZ is extremely motivated to achieve at the highest levels, I wonder.just how long we can keep hold of him. Personally I would love for Lallana to move straight into an assistant managerial role as an apprentice to RDZ with the idea that he could step up to the role when RDZ moves on.
See Post #64

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
If the press reports are true, while those contracts don't contain a release clause per se, there is some kind of similar mechanism which serves a similar purpose.

From David Ornstein (The Athletic):
This is thought not to be a typical release clause other clubs may simply trigger, leaving the player to choose their next step, but a more complex feature that gives Brighton a say over the outcome.

This appears to be a cost of extending the contracts and may mean that the club isn't in quite as strong a position as they would have been by extending without this mystery clause (though would they have been able to extend without it?).

It's guesswork, but I reckon it's just a way of getting a sensible compromise. Both got a decent pay bump, transfer speculation went away for a time and the club got full focus & effort from them both. The payback will be (IMO) that the club won't be able to hold out for as eye-watering a fee as would have been the case otherwise.

We'll see!
Yes. Will have to wait and see but that doesn't sound too purturbing. If their is no financial trigger than I expect its a written version of a gentleman's agreement (not a willy!). That allows them to talk to / negotiate contract with champs league clubs etc.

Personally speaking there was no point where I thought them signing contracts meant they would stay. And I doubt Tony would sign away the rights to negotiate the fee for our two key assets.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Can someone please provide a link to where RDZ was discussing all this. I have seen several post match interviews and not heard the discussion about Ali Mac and Caicedo. What I did here and to me is more worrying than losing a couple of players is that RDZ is extremely motivated to achieve at the highest levels, I wonder.just how long we can keep hold of him. Personally I would love for Lallana to move straight into an assistant managerial role as an apprentice to RDZ with the idea that he could step up to the role when RDZ moves on.
It's interesting what you say there about RDZ wanting to achieve at the highest levels. I'm sure it's broadly true and the same with most managers but someone else linked an interview he did where he said whilst he'd be interested to go back to Italy 'one day' if you look at his background he's always gone somewhere we he can deliver 'his project'. I also read an interview with him when he first joined us, asking him why he left sassuolo and he said he loved it there, but after three years, with his intensiveness and methods it all becomes 'a bit too much' for players.

So, as long as we keep looking after him I wouldn't be surprised if he was targeting a 3 year project with us. Would still be 47/48 at the end of it and one of the younger managers in Serie A.

It is quite telling though that he keeps bringing up the need for reinforcements and new players at press conferences.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It's interesting what you say there about RDZ wanting to achieve at the highest levels. I'm sure it's broadly true and the same with most managers but someone else linked an interview he did where he said whilst he'd be interested to go back to Italy 'one day' if you look at his background he's always gone somewhere we he can deliver 'his project'. I also read an interview with him when he first joined us, asking him why he left sassuolo and he said he loved it there, but after three years, with his intensiveness and methods it all becomes 'a bit too much' for players.

So, as long as we keep looking after him I wouldn't be surprised if he was targeting a 3 year project with us. Would still be 47/48 at the end of it and one of the younger managers in Serie A.

It is quite telling though that he keeps bringing up the need for reinforcements and new players at press conferences.
We will need reinforcements if we go deep into (hopefully) European and 3 domestic competitions. It’s what elite clubs do!😉

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Re Rice or Caicedo for Arsenal. Personally I would be surprised if Arsenal spend £200m on players in the summer, especially on two for the same position.

I don't know loads about their finances, except that when they really wanted a player in January they couldn't stay with Chelsea despite apparently being in pole position to make the signing.

Also that striker back up and central defence cover looks to me to be much more of an issue for them then central midfield.

I reckon they will go for one or the other.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Re Rice or Caicedo for Arsenal. Personally I would be surprised if Arsenal spend £200m on players in the summer, especially on two for the same position.

I don't know loads about their finances, except that when they really wanted a player in January they couldn't stay with Chelsea despite apparently being in pole position to make the signing.

Also that striker back up and central defence cover looks to me to be much more of an issue for them then central midfield.

I reckon they will go for one or the other.

They spent £149m on fees this season, with zero CL income.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Mr Bloom has laid down a marker by not letting Caciedo join Arsenal in the last window and then got the player to sign a contract extension,I'm not saying he won't leave but if we do manage a European spot I doubt very much Caciedo would go.

Macallister I think will leave us and I for one wouldn't begrudge him a move as long as it's not to Spurs or Chelsea, he'd be perfect for Manchester City., whoever buys him won't be getting him cheap and whatever they pay they have themselves a bargain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which is likely to restrict their room to move next season, especially from an FFP point of view

Let's have a charity bet :smile: . I say Arsenal's gross transfer fee spend this summer be at least £200m.

My rationale, if they spend £250m for players on 5 year contracts, that's an added FFP cost of £50m per season, plus wages, but less the amortisation/wages ceased on leavers such as Xhaka. I picture Arteta justifying it in a 2nd Sept press conference. Oddly, with Guardiola. he's a coach who likes talking about finances.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Let's have a charity bet :smile: . I say Arsenal's gross transfer fee spend this summer be at least £200m.

My rationale, if they spend £250m for players on 5 year contracts, that's an added FFP cost of £50m per season, plus wages, but less the amortisation/wages ceased on leavers such as Xhaka. I picture Arteta justifying it in a 2nd Sept press conference. Oddly, with Guardiola. he's a coach who likes talking about finances.
20 quid to AITC?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No my point is they haven't massively gone on to bigger and better things given whether they can get into their team (Trossard) or how much higher up the table their new team is (Newcastle). I wasn't thinking of Burn who reportedly said the only club he would have left us for was his home town club. It's Bissouma and Cucurella who excelled at us but have struggled at their new clubs big time.
I don't think you need to force arguments to try and win the point. Burn has gone from an almost certain bench role with us to starting for a team qualifying for the CL. White has been one of the players of the season and had excelled at RB. Trossard is hugely admired by Arsenal fans who think he should be starting every game - they are 8-0-0 when he starts compared to 4-3-5 when he doesn't. Cucurella and Bissouma have both played CL football this season and will get the opportunity to continue their careers under much better managers next season (Well, no given for Spurs).

The idea that Arsenal are only 'a few places above us' so not much of a step up is laughable, the gulf from us to them is massive.

We had a period where a lot of our best players leaving upwards weren't successful, but that's hardly going to be a continual thing. And regardless, 99% of footballers would rather try to succeed at a massive club and fail, rather than stay in a lower pressure comfort zone and never give it a shot.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Neither of them are going anywhere until Massive return to Division 1 then obviously they will both be off,so by my reckoning that's at least another 10 years each by which time no doubt Caciedo will be in Goal and Macallister will be poking them home from 1 yard out,not a chance they will be off in the summer,try and get the we're a small club mentality clean out of your minds,the West stand waterslide and monorail are just around the corner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well RDZs comments after the game about maybe losing both of these was a huge dampner after such a high.
I always thought we’d lose one but not both

What was the exact quote? Is there a video? I think RDZ often just speaks his kind or gets misinterpreted but of course this may be wishful thinking!

MAYBE… key bit and absolutely nothing new here imo. Enjoy the win 👍
Press Conference today - BBC:

He clarifies his recent quotes that about selling players this summer. "I didn't say we would sell anyone," he says, "of course there is always a possibility we will lose big players - but I know the policy of my club."

Please stop bricking it people and see… RDZ is often misinterpreted I believe.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I don't think you need to force arguments to try and win the point. Burn has gone from an almost certain bench role with us to starting for a team qualifying for the CL. White has been one of the players of the season and had excelled at RB. Trossard is hugely admired by Arsenal fans who think he should be starting every game - they are 8-0-0 when he starts compared to 4-3-5 when he doesn't. Cucurella and Bissouma have both played CL football this season and will get the opportunity to continue their careers under much better managers next season (Well, no given for Spurs).

The idea that Arsenal are only 'a few places above us' so not much of a step up is laughable, the gulf from us to them is massive.

We had a period where a lot of our best players leaving upwards weren't successful, but that's hardly going to be a continual thing. And regardless, 99% of footballers would rather try to succeed at a massive club and fail, rather than stay in a lower pressure comfort zone and never give it a shot.
I'm not trying to 'force an argument'. Burn was a regular starter when he left. White has been nowwhere near one of the best Arsenal players this year and might not get in at all next season if they get a full back who is better attacking (suppose he could do that inverted Stones role if they try that). Trossard started against Leicester, Everton, Bournemouth, Fulham, Palace, Leeds, Chelsea (real powerhouses) yet Arteta didn't start or trust him V Utd, Brentford, City twice, Liverpool, us, Newcastle away, West Ham away so those stats are misleading. I wasn't referring to Arsenal being a few places above us, it was Newcastle.

Agree with your last sentence Kalimantan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here