Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Happy to see Mac go assuming it's for a new record fee.

Losing Caicedo will be a tougher one to take.
Would like to see the club keep him for one more season.
If not, hopefully it is for an eye-watering amount of dosh.

Hope neither of them end up at Chelsea, Newcastle or City though.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've had both leaving at 90%+ chance since the January window.

But, yes, this. His whole approach is refreshing. He's not afraid to say we deserve to win games, he's not afraid to say we deserved to lose a game - thankfully he doesn't have to say that very often - and he's not afraid to state we are aiming for Europe. There's none of the usual cliched "we'll take one game at a time" bollocks.
Or "It is what it is", or "For a team at our levels" :shrug:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'll reiterate my guess:

Mac Allister - nailed on to leave. He'll go for around £75m to the club of his choosing, probably Liverpool.

Caicedo - could well be here for another season. We will sell him only for an eye-watering amount (over £100m), which rules out all but Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd. If that doesn't happen, I reckon we'll give him *another* improved contract to see him out for the remaining year we expect of him.

It has always seemed that the club won't stand in the way of career progression once they've done their bit here. Caicedo has been here for just 1 season, hence the premium on the club letting him move. After 2 seasons, I guess the club would let him go for something lower than absolute top dollar.

Don't forget we're also losing Colwill. Can we really afford to lose all 3 and not expect an alarming drop off?
As Chelsea need to offload players this summer to balance their books, I'm really hoping we can sign him .

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I thought "ah, Caicedo's going then" when I saw how much transfer business we were getting done before the window formally opens.

I'd love to be wrong. But it feels like we're getting a bunch of moves done before the Caicedo transfer fee is in the kitty and other clubs start thinking "they're loaded, let's rinse them".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Mac to Liverpool seems to be the most sensible footballing move and I think Mac Senior will guide Alexis accordingly.
Bigger club, yes, more wages yes…

But if you want a career move, is going to a rebuilding Liverpool the best choice for Mac? I’m not sure, they are probably going to be Europa league next season and for me will be odds against qualifying for the CL next season as well, if Mac wants CL football, I’m not sure Liverpool actually is the sensible career choice.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'll reiterate my guess:

Mac Allister - nailed on to leave. He'll go for around £75m to the club of his choosing, probably Liverpool.

Caicedo - could well be here for another season. We will sell him only for an eye-watering amount (over £100m), which rules out all but Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd. If that doesn't happen, I reckon we'll give him *another* improved contract to see him out for the remaining year we expect of him.

It has always seemed that the club won't stand in the way of career progression once they've done their bit here. Caicedo has been here for just 1 season, hence the premium on the club letting him move. After 2 seasons, I guess the club would let him go for something lower than absolute top dollar.

Don't forget we're also losing Colwill. Can we really afford to lose all 3 and not expect an alarming drop off?
Colwill has barely played and looked rubbish against forest and everton. Maccalister very average since the world cup, gave it away time and time again yesterday (sticking with my vastly overrated view.).

Caciedo will be the HUGE loss.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I thought "ah, Caicedo's going then" when I saw how much transfer business we were getting done before the window formally opens.

I'd love to be wrong. But it feels like we're getting a bunch of moves done before the Caicedo transfer fee is in the kitty and other clubs start thinking "they're loaded, let's rinse them".
It would also be great to have new signings with us for the whole summer, for pre-season training and to 'bond' with the rest of the team, rather than desperately signing people 5 minutes before the transfer window closes, then having to wait a couple of months for them to gel, get visas sorted, or acclimatise to the PL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'd be gutted to see Caceido go, but he is so bloody good the chance of us getting an offer we cannot refuse is surely very high. I've been resigned to Mac leaving for a while and had made my peace with that. Moises would be a blow though.
Indeed. I don’t envy the recruitment team here. We have no one in the squad with his skill set currently, it’ll be incredibly difficult to find a player even 80% as good as Caicedo to replace him with. But - I trust the system so we’ll see.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

They can think what they like

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Colwill has barely played and looked rubbish against forest and everton. Maccalister very average since the world cup, gave it away time and time again yesterday (sticking with my vastly overrated view.).

Yes Colwill was crap in those games, but he's 18 and still learning. He's also played for more good games than bad, no question.

Mac Allister is not as much of a loss as Caicedo I grant you, but "vastly overrated" is absolute bobbins. He is perhaps not as important as it is made out, but I've no doubt there will be at least 4 clubs prepared to pay £70m for him. There's a reason for that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well RDZs comments after the game about maybe losing both of these was a huge dampner after such a high.
I always thought we’d lose one but not both
The way he phrased it means we *might* lose neither of them.

But then we might lose one, or we might lose both.

Whatever happens, you can bet that the club is prepared.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Colwill has struggled in the games we’ve lost…. Really? Most of the team struggled in those games, that’s like saying Dunk is rubbish because he played rubbish in those games, Colwill will be a world class defender, he’s twenty he’s outrageously good for a centre half at that age.

Mac has found it more tough by his own admittance since the WC win, I can’t imagine how much that has taken out of him mentally and physically, he’s basically achieved his life goal in the middle of a season, he’s definitely not over rated tho, he’s just been playing further forward where I don’t think he’s as effective, his best position is the double pivot in CM with Gross/Lallana roaming further forward.

Agreed on Caicedo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Problem with Mac is this stupid experiment playing further forward. Of course he looked good at the World Cup playing close to Messi.

Should be further back IMO

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We've already turned down 70m for caciedo and maccalister won't go for less than 70.... So try 150+
£70M mid season was not enough, maybe it is in a summer window with a better chance of replacing the player adequately.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Problem with Mac is this stupid experiment playing further forward. Of course he looked good at the World Cup playing close to Messi.

Should be further back IMO
After the World Cup, De Zerbi said he would talk to Mac about allowing him to play in his preferred position, not sure if this is it, or a compromise between what player and manager want, or if it was part of an agreement that helped get him on a new contract before the World Cup.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011

Rinse Tony? Good luck with that then.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The Wheels won’t come off if mac goes. If the money is right, we will be fine if he goes. We are in a strong position to keep Moises.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll reiterate my guess:

Agree about that £100m plus fee.

The Rice numbers mooted of £100m to £120m (I'm aware of the home-grown premium) sets the bar.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Colwill has struggled in the games we’ve lost…. Really? Most of the team struggled in those games, that’s like saying Dunk is rubbish because he played rubbish in those games, Colwill will be a world class defender, he’s twenty he’s outrageously good for a centre half at that age.

Mac has found it more tough by his own admittance since the WC win, I can’t imagine how much that has taken out of him mentally and physically, he’s basically achieved his life goal in the middle of a season, he’s definitely not over rated tho, he’s just been playing further forward where I don’t think he’s as effective, his best position is the double pivot in CM with Gross/Lallana roaming further forward.

Agreed on Caicedo.
Think you're missing my point. Colwill massive massive potential but hasn't been consistently incredible for us so I think we can live without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here