Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Been prepared for the both going for some time. Anything else will be a bonus.

Said to my daughter that the Everton match would probably be our last chance to see them in the stripes, as we won’t make it down for another match this season. That wasn’t the send off I’d hoped for.

Just enjoying the good times while they’re here. Genuinely world class players strutting their stuff for the Albion. It’s a joy.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bigger club, yes, more wages yes…

But if you want a career move, is going to a rebuilding Liverpool the best choice for Mac? I’m not sure, they are probably going to be Europa league next season and for me will be odds against qualifying for the CL next season as well, if Mac wants CL football, I’m not sure Liverpool actually is the sensible career choice

More chance of Mac being a central part of the Liverpool rebuild than any of next season's CL teams
It will be that part of the move which will be most appealing to Mac senior.

He won't make the mistake of just moving for next season's fixture list.
It's all about which club will be offering his career development over the next 5 years, and offering a pivotal role in the first team.

Newcastle might be able to offer that, but Klopp is likely to be more beneficial than Smug to Mac's development

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well RDZs comments after the game about maybe losing both of these was a huge dampner after such a high.
I always thought we’d lose one but not both
What was the exact quote? Is there a video? I think RDZ often just speaks his kind or gets misinterpreted but of course this may be wishful thinking!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He continues to be everything Graham wasn't, and at the same time shows he's leagues ahead in the EQ stakes. It's incredible how much of a favour Chelsea actually did us. There has literally been no man that has done more to shift the mentality of this club (fans, players, and management) so steeply. He is already a legend and it will take some beating to ever find a better manager imo.
Well, TB has shifted the mentality by being the guy to employ Gus, Potter and RDZ. But agree it will be tough to do even better

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I'll reiterate my guess:

Mac Allister - nailed on to leave. He'll go for around £75m to the club of his choosing, probably Liverpool.

Caicedo - could well be here for another season. We will sell him only for an eye-watering amount (over £100m), which rules out all but Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd. If that doesn't happen, I reckon we'll give him *another* improved contract to see him out for the remaining year we expect of him.

It has always seemed that the club won't stand in the way of career progression once they've done their bit here. Caicedo has been here for just 1 season, hence the premium on the club letting him move. After 2 seasons, I guess the club would let him go for something lower than absolute top dollar.

Don't forget we're also losing Colwill. Can we really afford to lose all 3 and not expect an alarming drop off?
Caicedo signed a new contract in February
m
Mac Alister signed a new contract before the World Cup
Caccedo will probably stay For another year , Mac will probably be off for 85 + million , people need to realise we don’t have to sell any player unless we are ready to and we have a replacement in place , and if Rice is worth 120 million both Caciedo and MacAlister are better players

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I think if we qualify for CL, then a better chance at keeping both.
If Europa then I think that helps as they will only go to a CL team (one would think) so eliminates Spurs/Chelsea etc., might be able to keep 1.
If we don't make the above then I suspect both will be gone.
However not all bad as that means we won't have those European games so "strength and depth" (tm) aren't as crucial so full on to next season.
Big clubs are big clubs regardless though. Leicester won the league and got CL football and still lost Kante. They were able to keep Mahrez for one more season on that basis though I guess.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Naylor really emphasing the quote that maccalister wants champions League football next so seems Liverpool far from done deal. Maybe castle or even man u is more likely?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
What was the exact quote? Is there a video? I think RDZ often just speaks his kind or gets misinterpreted but of course this may be wishful thinking!
It was on the skysports after show when he joined the pundits to chat. Exact quote not sure, think he said they were likely to go, or would probably go, it was fairly clear. He then mentioned Estupinan and Mitoma and said it would be better for them to stay and develop here, which I guess means they're the ones we'll be fighting to keep in the face of probable bids

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was on the skysports after show when he joined the pundits to chat. Exact quote not sure, think he said they were likely to go, or would probably go, it was fairly clear. He then mentioned Estupinan and Mitoma and said it would be better for them to stay and develop here, which I guess means they're the ones we'll be fighting to keep in the face of probable bids
Would rather he’d refused to talk about anything til after the season but that’s him I guess! Would be surprised if Caicedo went as I felt the contract meant another year minimum of him but let’s see…

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
MacAllister for a massive fee would be a classic anti-Moneyball transfer due to inflated cost after successful World Cup. For us to be the selling club is OK.

I am really optimistic that Tony Bloom will continue to play the global transfer market to our advantage and we will maintain our level of players and performance.

If we sold MacAllister and Caicedo then my estimate for the income is £170m-£200m. That money can buy some VERY exciting young talent to replace them - and that is without factoring in developing young players the club already owns.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Think you're missing my point. Colwill massive massive potential but hasn't been consistently incredible for us so I think we can live without him.
That’s because he’s had a few injuries, his only real tough performances have been either when he’s just come back into the team after a spell out or when the whole team has been shite (Forest/Everton as you point out)

For me Colwill not being here almost leaves a bigger hole than Mac, I love Mac but I do think he’s a replaceable player, to replace Colwill like for like might be nearly impossible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He continues to be everything Graham wasn't, and at the same time shows he's leagues ahead in the EQ stakes. It's incredible how much of a favour Chelsea actually did us. There has literally been no man that has done more to shift the mentality of this club (fans, players, and management) so steeply. He is already a legend and it will take some beating to ever find a better manager imo.
100% - with Potter it always felt like we should consider ourselves "lucky" to be in the top 10.

De Zerbi has totally transformed this football club's mentality. We're allowed to be good now. And we are good.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Caicedo - could well be here for another season. We will sell him only for an eye-watering amount (over £100m), which rules out all but Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd. If that doesn't happen, I reckon we'll give him *another* improved contract to see him out for the remaining year we expect of him.
Agreed - Mac has "done his time here" now so leaves with the club's good wishes, based on a decent offer. Caicedo I think is where Bissouma was (at a higher comparative level) a couple of years ago, i.e. "give us one more year then you can go."

We will of course be accused of being a horrendous club and holding a young talent back against his wishes blah blah blah. The model continues to work.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would rather he’d refused to talk about anything til after the season but that’s him I guess! Would be surprised if Caicedo went as I felt the contract meant another year minimum of him but let’s see…
The quote was:

"Of course we will lose some players - maybe Caicedo, maybe Mac Allister. We have to be ready to bring in another good players, and the others, for Mitoma and Estupinan, I think for them the best solution is to stay with us. I don’t know if they are ready to play in the big teams, you can explain better than me to ‘play in a big team.'"

(The last bit I took as a reference to Gary Neville, who asked the question, having played for Man Utd.)

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Naylor really emphasing the quote that maccalister wants champions League football next so seems Liverpool far from done deal. Maybe castle or even man u is more likely?

United allegedly 'only' have £100m to spend this summer, couldn't see him going to Newcastle. Tbh I can think of good reasons against him joining all the probable top four teams. Liverpool is the one that really makes sense but if we're both in the Europa League who knows what he'll do

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Dissapointed im not hearing we are doing all we can to keep the engine of the vechile intact for unknown roads ahead in Europe. TB is a gambler though and he is always likely to see a higher return for purchase as a good thing and gamble on replacements. I say gamble because despite absolutely amazing recruitment coaching etc. until blended in it is a gamble. Mac is a world cup winner for a reason. When did he last perform less than 7/10 on the pitch? Will they leave probably yes. Am I thankfull for amazing service to the club yes. Can we move on without them probably yes. Transition into Europe though I would be changing the modeland paying them more to retain if necessary as surely the riches of Rome or wherever we go pays for the best?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think the story on these two is far from done. They may well leave. But it’ll be for a lot of money. & we didn’t expect Caicedo to sign a new deal after his January antics. So what else has Tony got up his sleeve? Would we get another year out of either of them with Europa League football, and another improved contract put on the table? Possibly…

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Colwill has barely played and looked rubbish against forest and everton. Maccalister very average since the world cup, gave it away time and time again yesterday (sticking with my vastly overrated view.).

Caciedo will be the HUGE loss.
Colwill was fantastic yesterday, marked Odegaard out the game, which few players have managed this season, and played some lovely long passes for Mitoma to chase. Indeed leading to our first goal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've been expecting both to leave this summer ever since the world cup, not sure how anyone would be surprised. the only thing that may be a shock is the fees, reckon they may not be as high as some believe. what we turned down in January window was without cover or prospect of replacement, while flying in the league. they may be content with similar numbers, with pre-season to prepare the new team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here