[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
@Harry Wilson's tackle supposedly Moder is scientifically the most handsome player in the PL.
Good point. I'll settle with my current solution for the time being, though. It looks terrific, and I have now completely forgotten about whatsisname.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
:facepalm: The lower league plodder.
0_GettyImages-1318692592.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Despite yesterday's chutzpa, I had disturbing dreams last night and woke feeling sad. I have been using a photo of Mac on the front page of a final year course I run. The thought of having to change it this week saddens me.

I was thinking of replacing him with a picture of Solly March. But Solly isn't very good looking.

There, I am not only a vacillating hypocrite, I'm shallow and superficial.

And....feeling better already, for it! A nice cup of tea, and all will be well :rave:

:wink:
Looks are subjective. I think Solly is attractive.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I guess we can console ourselves by imagining losing Biss and Tross 18/24 months ago. We will find new heroes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Imagine the fall out on here if Caicedo sells for an apparent buy it now clause inserted into his new contract of £35 or 40 million
Makes sense that we’d turn down a bid of 70m and then, at a point where he still had 2.5 years left on his existing deal, give him a new contract with a buy-out clause for half that amount.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Last summer we sold Bissouma and Cucurella. Both went to clubs who finished below us. It's not inconceivable that something similar might happen with Mac Allister. Unlikely, I grant you - but how many people a year ago would have forecast us to finish above both Tottenham and Chelsea?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Last summer we sold Bissouma and Cucurella. Both went to clubs who finished below us. It's not inconceivable that something similar might happen with Mac Allister. Unlikely, I grant you - but how many people a year ago would have forecast us to finish above both Tottenham and Chelsea?
To be fair we could do with a sale, kicking on and performing above the level they were bought at, simply to protect our brand

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am more concerned about what we don't have in defence currently than losing Mac Allister.
Colwill is unlikely to return, JPVH is out of contract, Veltman also, Lamptey not shown he can get back to his previous form yet, Sanchez losing his head and possibly going, no strong option to cover Pervis, and a fair chance we are going to lose the best defensive midfielder we have.

Get that lot sorted and I believe we can finish above Liverpool next season.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I am more concerned about what we don't have in defence currently than losing Mac Allister.
Colwill is unlikely to return, JPVH is out of contract, Veltman also, Lamptey not shown he can get back to his previous form yet, Sanchez losing his head and possibly going, no strong option to cover Pervis, and a fair chance we are going to lose the best defensive midfielder we have.

Shit! Someone should tell Barber ASAP.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I love Veltman but am sure we will have a brilliant squad come September with or without him. I reserve the right to start getting nervous should not much happen before August comes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Didn't take you as a miserabilist.
1, we've put in bids for 30m and supposedly 40m for Colwill. Let's see where we are at the end of the month on that -- if we haven't got him by then, he's probably staying
2, both JPVH and Veltman have one year options. RDZ has said Veltman will be with us next season
3, yes, there's a decision to make on Tariq and the RB situation. We have been linked with, for instance, Boey
4, Sanchez will be off for a decent fee. Be interesting what we do in terms of replacing him.
5, Milner can cover at LB, but also wouldn't be surprised if we get another LB.
6, we're going to lose one of the best CDMs in the world. Suspect we'll spend a big amount on a replacement, but we won't be able to replace him. That said, there will be multiple players who are better in 23/24 than in 22/23, and that will offset that loss.

It'll be tough to finish above Liverpool. Not impossible.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Didn't take you as a miserabilist.
1, we've put in bids for 30m and supposedly 40m for Colwill. Let's see where we are at the end of the month on that -- if we haven't got him by then, he's probably staying
2, both JPVH and Veltman have one year options. RDZ has said Veltman will be with us next season
3, yes, there's a decision to make on Tariq and the RB situation. We have been linked with, for instance, Boey
4, Sanchez will be off for a decent fee. Be interesting what we do in terms of replacing him.
5, Milner can cover at LB, but also wouldn't be surprised if we get another LB.
6, we're going to lose one of the best CDMs in the world. Suspect we'll spend a big amount on a replacement, but we won't be able to replace him. That said, there will be multiple players who are better in 23/24 than in 22/23, and that will offset that loss.

It'll be tough to finish above Liverpool. Not impossible.
Didn't mean to come across as a miserabalist, I am sure we will have a great season, it was just the idea that we would finish above Liverpool that I think is a bit premature with the current situation in defensive positions. I am sure the club will address, but there is a fair amount of mystery about how our defense will look at the moment.
Who will fill Mac's shoes is less concerning, with the players we already have in the squad and those strongly suspected to arrive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't mean to come across as a miserabalist, I am sure we will have a great season, it was just the idea that we would finish above Liverpool that I think is a bit premature with the current situation in defensive positions. I am sure the club will address, but there is a fair amount of mystery about how our defense will look at the moment.
Who will fill Mac's shoes is less concerning, with the players we already have in the squad and those strongly suspected to arrive.
Nothing wrong with your concern/interest - so much is up in the air right now.

Finishing above Liverpool? Does anyone anywhere think that is a serious possibility? They've just had a shocker of a season and were still five points (plus goal difference) clear of us having our best ever season.

Last edited:

Agreed - I think people underestimate the amount of rebuilding needed at Liverpool, Mac will barely touch the sides of what’s needed there if VVD and Salah don’t recapture their form of previous seasons. I think dumb Liverpool fans think they are getting another Coutinho, realistically they are getting a slightly better/younger Jordan Henderson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports