Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lord of the Bins

Would you assume that waste collector "Lord of the Bins" was related to Lord of the Rings?

• Yes - it's an obvious business for hobbits and the like to operate in

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Of course I wouldn't. Do you take me for some kind of simpleton?

Votes: 74 89.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, it’s a bloody cheek. The phrase ‘lord of the’ is a part of the English language. How about ‘Lord of the Flies ?’ The bin man has not been charged for this defence. Next, I would advise he counter sue for malicious something or other.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Let's hope that a well-known fast-food chain don't get wind of the Turkish hairdressers that fairly recently opened in Grand Parade 😀

24718623.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
While not the legal standpoint, for me it comes down to 'Is the copyright owner losing any money ?' due to the infringement - in this case the answer is no so no case to answer.
might affect damages, not a decision on infringement. this isnt so much about the name, its the logo and phrase which is fairly clear, if tounge in cheek, reference to the franchise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All I saw of Brighton yesterday was the loop out of the station from West coast to the Falmer shuttle.
Within that beautiful vista all I noticed was the full bins and rubbish strewn all over the floor.

That's cos Brighton is a shitehole.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
In fairness to the Tolkien Estate, when you see the full advert it's pretty clear that they're using Lord of the Rings. With a tagline of "one ring to remove it all".

I do think it's a bit much for these huge organisations to enforce this with tiny companies though. It's not exactly impacting the Lord of the Rings enterprise in any way.
The difficulty is that if they don't enforce it on the little guys, it can become a lot more difficult to enforce against big players. Essentially the big players can use lack of enforcement as evidence that the trademark isn't being defended and therefore a right to use it. Hence these, on the surface, ludicrous enforcement stories.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The amount of publicity they have got will probably be worth a small fortune, and as others have said, i suspect its not the name, its the whole "one ring to..." and the style of the logo etc. Its an obvious coppy from the Tolkien property.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Lord Ringwood must be shitting himself :rolleyes:

if such a person exists and if so we claim all rights and copyrights and any other legal bs we can get away with #complete bollocks.com

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thus proving that they don't care a jot about the IP, only about the money.
It’s their property to do what they like with. They get to pick and choose what to do with the licensing, it’s for nobody to decide except the owner of the IP.

Some cases can be ridiculous with overzealous lawyers going after one man bands just because they share a family name, for example.

This one is pretty cut and dried, they’ve used intellectual property they don’t own in order to obtain business by creating a connection in the publics mind between their company and an existing IP.

It was nice while it lasted, but I am firmly in the camp that says you have every right to defend your own intellectual property.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh and incidentally I thought The Rings of Power was excellent, much preferred it to the stodgy and bloated Hobbit trilogy, which bored me to tears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here