Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lord of the Bins

Would you assume that waste collector "Lord of the Bins" was related to Lord of the Rings?

• Yes - it's an obvious business for hobbits and the like to operate in

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Of course I wouldn't. Do you take me for some kind of simpleton?

Votes: 74 89.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A waste collection firm in Brighton has been told by lawyers for the Lord of the Rings franchise to change its name.

Lord of the Bins collects household, building and office waste across East Sussex and West Sussex.

Nick Lockwood and Dan Walker, who run the company, said they were contacted by Middle-earth Enterprises, who own the worldwide rights to The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The pair said they faced the prospect of spending thousands to rebrand.

"Middle-earth Enterprises has sent and is enforcing a cease and desist, claiming we're in breach of their trademarks," Mr Lockwood said.

"They claim customers could think they were endorsed by or affiliated to Lord Of The Rings."

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Tolkien Estate are very very protective about their IP.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I was talking to one work colleague yesterday who referred to another (slightly nerdy) colleague as 'Lord of the Cringe', which I thought was pretty funny

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
In fairness to the Tolkien Estate, when you see the full advert it's pretty clear that they're using Lord of the Rings. With a tagline of "one ring to remove it all".

I do think it's a bit much for these huge organisations to enforce this with tiny companies though. It's not exactly impacting the Lord of the Rings enterprise in any way.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I do think it's a bit much for these huge organisations to enforce this with tiny companies though. It's not exactly impacting the Lord of the Rings enterprise in any way.
The problem that any company has in their situation is that if they don’t defend their IP/trademark against anyone they become aware of who are infringing, that becomes a defence for anyone who subsequently infringes.

It would be a partial defence if Coca Cola ran a global campaign using LOTR IP to say ‘We know you knew about ‘Lord of the Bins’. You did nothing. You obviously don”t care. Your defence against us is nothing to do with protecting your IP; it’s to do with trying to stop our client going about their legitimate business’

Obviously, I’ve extrapolated somewhat - Coke would need to show multiple cases where LOTR didn’t protect their IP - but it does illustrate why companies with very strong brands are often very touchy about others using it. It’s the thin end of the wedge.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
I hate the fact that a multi-billion pound enterprise threatens legal action against a small business.

Same thing with The Hobbit pub in Southampton a few years back. Great little themed pub with character cocktails, live music and huge garden which nearly went bust. Luckily it was eventually all dropped when Ian McKellen stepped in.

Is it really hurting anyone or damaging the brand in any way?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Unenforceable in my view. But the only way to find out is to go to court,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While not the legal standpoint, for me it comes down to 'Is the copyright owner losing any money ?' due to the infringement - in this case the answer is no so no case to answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here