Looks like no more movements on the transfer front.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The club aren't going to tell us about every single player they enquire about, are they? I'm sure they're looking at DOZENS of players.

Indeed. I have read on quite a few occassions from managaers that the process of buying players is pretty standard across the board.

Pinpoint a position. Write down a list of 8+ players who you would be happy to have. Pass the list onto the direcor of Football/Chief Executive. Sit back and let them do all the hard work. They basically work down the list contacting clubs, agents etc. It's not as black and white as pinpoint one player and go for him.

Also, in the meantime you have agents representing clubs, players etc all ringing up your club seeing if you might want their player. Again, very much the opposite of what people perceive as usual transfer proceedure. In theory, everyone is tapping up themselves.

Redknapp used to be the most open about this. He would basically say that Daniel Levy would be the one to ring him up and say "Would you like player x?" and Harry would say Yes. Most people think it's the other way round (probably influenced by games such as Football Manager in which the manager does everything).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed. I have read on quite a few occassions from managaers that the process of buying players is pretty standard across the board.

Pinpoint a position. Write down a list of 8+ players who you would be happy to have. Pass the list onto the direcor of Football/Chief Executive. Sit back and let them do all the hard work. They basically work down the list contacting clubs, agents etc. It's not as black and white as pinpoint one player and go for him.

Also, in the meantime you have agents representing clubs, players etc all ringing up your club seeing if you might want their player. Again, very much the opposite of what people perceive as usual transfer proceedure. In theory, everyone is tapping up themselves.

Redknapp used to be the most open about this. He would basically say that Daniel Levy would be the one to ring him up and say "Would you like player x?" and Harry would say Yes. Most people think it's the other way round (probably influenced by games such as Football Manager in which the manager does everything).

Absolutely this. I find it bizarre how many people on here think that whatever we the fans get told is EVERYTHING that happens at the club "Why aren't the club trying to sign a striker, Gus out etc"

I'm certain over Gus's reign we enquired after easily over 100 players. Probably over 150-200.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Argus reports today that OG has "found it difficult dealing in the transfer market" and that "significant late movement by Albion is unlikely before Monday night's transfer deadline". The club also state, as we already know, that "they intend to keep Barnes."

I find it absolutely incredible that it looks as if we will have to cope until the January window with potentially just two strikers, Ulloa and Barnes. I know further loans are an option but this is not what we need. I dread to think of what would happen if Barnes' injury proves to be worse that the club think and/or Ulloa gets injured or is suspended for any period. We will be down to the bare bones then from an attacking perspective, and our ambitions for a successful season may need to be reigned back a lot. It's so frustrating that we are having difficulties getting in a striker - especially since very little of our budget (if truly the same as last season) appears to have been spent.

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

Couldn't agree more. The club seem happy to hike prices quickly. Why not act quickly in the transfer market to plug the gap in our striker resources? Taking the mick IMHO.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I like this period - as we approach the transfer deadline. The terminally dim witted can't hold themselves back at this time of year. That allows the rest of us to clock them and give them a bit of a swerve for the rest of the season. This thread in particular is proving very handy.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Care to share the facts to back up that bold statement?

im pretty sure its obvious, hence all players in have been on free's (unless I'm mistaken, Chickson may have been a fee, but I was on holiday) and wages paid for with the Bridge, Vicente, Harley, Dicker, Painter Money that was freed up.

The club need to save money, feel the squad is good enough to compete for a play off spot once again (I do as well) and if needed always have the fall back of the loan system.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
we don't have any money - end of conversation.

I doubt it is as black & white as that - we have money, just not quite as much as others to just blow on players (QPR, etc). It's definitely not as bad as it has been....we've still got a pot to piss in, it just isn't as large as some think it is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I like this period - as we approach the transfer deadline. The terminally dim witted can't hold themselves back at this time of year. That allows the rest of us to clock them and give them a bit of a swerve for the rest of the season. This thread in particular is proving very handy.

Arrogant.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Couldn't agree more. The club seem happy to hike prices quickly. Why not act quickly in the transfer market to plug the gap in our striker resources? Taking the mick IMHO.

I don't think you can really make that comment with any conviction until September 3rd. We may end up with another striker (I think we will) and then we will have Ulloa, Barnes, CMS (soon) + A.N. Other. That should be fine for the rest of the season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The club could surprise us - i certainly wasn't expecting us to sign 4 players on Deadline Day last year. I doubt we'll see anything of that level this time, but i think we'll welcome one or two faces in.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
This desire to sign new players all the time is tedious, our squad is okay as it is.

Absolutely compare our squad with all the other teams in this division and I don't think we have anything to worry about, if we play to our potential we have a play off place. If you are a Reading fan you would be questioning the strength of their squad QPR have not got off to a great start. In this league anyone can beat anyone on their day, the same as last year. Why spend money if it is not going to improve the squad. Some people on here just want the club to spend money for the sake of it. I for one are happy with what we have got. If we sign another player or two of some quality I am not going to complain though.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Absolutely compare our squad with all the other teams in this division and I don't think we have anything to worry about, if we play to our potential we have a play off place. If you are a Reading fan you would be questioning the strength of their squad QPR have not got off to a great start. In this league anyone can beat anyone on their day, the same as last year. Why spend money if it is not going to improve the squad. Some people on here just want the club to spend money for the sake of it. I for one are happy with what we have got. If we sign another player or two of some quality I am not going to complain though.

10 points from4 games, wish we had started as badly as that!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Post of the day. Chucklesome and yet perfectly correct.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

I'm sure that will bother a lot of contributors to this site.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
10 points from4 games, wish we had started as badly as that!

oops maybe I should have said Wigan, but all accounts say that QPR are not playing that well and results are going their way. We could argue that the first two games didn't go ours. Things should even out over the season. Don't think we are any worse than QPR squad wise.

BHAMalcom

Nov 15, 2012
After the exciting appointment of Oscar i would have expected more ambition in terms of transfers. Poor show.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

:facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Haha absolutely SPOT ON.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports