Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like no more movements on the transfer front.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You forgot Dobbie and Harley who were both supposedly on high wages. We should have quite a big transfer budget left over, if it is indeed "in line" with last seasons.

And we got a fee for Dobbie, which will be 'in the pot'.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Oscar also mentioned the word "budget" worryingly.
Was hoping his Spanish and Israeli connections would produce some cheap gems.
Oh well. Upwards and Onwards.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You forgot Dobbie and Harley who were both supposedly on high wages. We should have quite a big transfer budget left over, if it is indeed "in line" with last seasons.

I was trying to forget the ever played for us, thanks for reminding me.

Dobbie's wages would have been used up in bringing in Upson and Ulloa in January as he effectively went then, although there was the fee we got for him at the end of the season to take into account. I find it hard to believe Harley was on that much, although he came from a Premier League side he never actually played a game for them, he made the step from League 1 to Premier so his wages wouldn't be that high surely, if he was on a lot he must have a very good agent, but whatever he was on is in the kitty.

I still stand by my statement that we aren't being as tight as everyone thinks. There will be money there for the right player, but I'd rather see us take our time and un-earth another Ulloa rather than rush in and get a Harley or Dobbie. Also it's worth remembering that the wages and transfer fee pots were combined rather than being two separate things, so just because we spent £2 million plus on Big Len doesn't meant to say that we will spend similar on another big transfer fee this season, we could look to use that money on wages for a couple of players. The other thing is we don't want to spend all our budget now and leave nothing for January where we might now better what we need to make a push for promotion etc.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I assume your 'okay' factors in injured players being available, as 1 striker isn't OK.

Barnes could well be back this weekend, almost certainly in 2 weeks time for our next game. CMS is back in 4-5 weeks. If we sign another striker to cover a minor injury crisis, we'll have at least 2 on the bench every week costing us 10k each.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
The Argus reports today that OG has "found it difficult dealing in the transfer market" and that "significant late movement by Albion is unlikely before Monday night's transfer deadline". The club also state, as we already know, that "they intend to keep Barnes."

I find it absolutely incredible that it looks as if we will have to cope until the January window with potentially just two strikers, Ulloa and Barnes. I know further loans are an option but this is not what we need. I dread to think of what would happen if Barnes' injury proves to be worse that the club think and/or Ulloa gets injured or is suspended for any period. We will be down to the bare bones then from an attacking perspective, and our ambitions for a successful season may need to be reigned back a lot. It's so frustrating that we are having difficulties getting in a striker - especially since very little of our budget (if truly the same as last season) appears to have been spent.

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

It's all mind games leading into Monday night. We know that we are heavily in the market and the chairman has pledged that he will be buying in players so it will happen but it will be very much last minute. Transfer window needs to be finished by end of July IMHO. Keep the faith

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm sure Agustien, Ward and Andrews aren't playing for free.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Good to see NSC and it's double standards again.

Just IMAGINE the backlash if Gus had said what Oscar has

"It’s not easy with the budget to do this job. You have to think about a lot of things, the price, the salary. It was different before in Tel Aviv. We had a sporting director (Jordi Cruyff) and in Spain it's not usual for the coach or manager to do this job, it's normally the sporting director."

Now, let me clear this up immediately, I'm not criticising Oscar. He is doing exactly what Gus did. Using the budget to downplay expectations. It's standard managerial proceedure. Gus did the same thing over and over and then would pull out an expensive signing.

My issue is that, if Gus had said this, can you IMAGINE the backlash. Someone yesterday even used "Gus's moaning about budgets" as an example of EVIDENCE in his Gross Misconduct dismissal.

Just saying, innit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we will sign one more striker, but it'll be a Paynter/Vokes type of player. CMS will presumably be back before January so we'll have three decent strikers, this extra one, and with a bit of luck, Hoskins.

And you wouldn't expect OG to be shooting his mouth off to the press about how we are desperate for a striker would you? For obvious reasons.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good to see NSC and it's double standards again.

Just IMAGINE the backlash if Gus had said what Oscar has

"It’s not easy with the budget to do this job. You have to think about a lot of things, the price, the salary. It was different before in Tel Aviv. We had a sporting director (Jordi Cruyff) and in Spain it's not usual for the coach or manager to do this job, it's normally the sporting director."

Now, let me clear this up immediately, I'm not criticising Oscar. He is doing exactly what Gus did. Using the budget to downplay expectations. It's standard managerial proceedure. Gus did the same thing over and over and then would pull out an expensive signing.

My issue is that, if Gus had said this, can you IMAGINE the backlash. Someone yesterday even used "Gus's moaning about budgets" as an example of EVIDENCE in his Gross Misconduct dismissal.

Just saying, innit.

Isn't Oscar just saying he's not dealt with budgets before? And he's learning something new?

I don't think he's commenting / complaining about the size of the budget, as Gus used to.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Barnes could well be back this weekend, almost certainly in 2 weeks time for our next game. CMS is back in 4-5 weeks. If we sign another striker to cover a minor injury crisis, we'll have at least 2 on the bench every week costing us 10k each.

Judging by barnes Instagram I'm not sure he will be back this weekend.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm sure we will sign 1 or 2.

I think we will as well, The key word in the article for me is "significant" which I take to mean no major signing(s) but it doesn't mean that we won't still bring in a couple of lower key signings to supplement the squad and especially the forward line.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barnes is unlikely for this weekend, according to naylor. Orlandi still not back after a set back, but Andrews might be.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Isn't Oscar just saying he's not dealt with budgets before? And he's learning something new?

I don't think he's commenting / complaining about the size of the budget, as Gus used to.

I imagine you are right, but it's still a complaint which (in my opinion, of course) I reckon a LOT of NSC would have replied with "It's your job, deal with it" if it had been Gus. Either way, he's downplaying expectations which is fine.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It's both. He's learning a new skill that would be easier to do if he had more leeway with budgets.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's both. He's learning a new skill that would be easier to do if he had more leeway with budgets.

Yet after re-reading I still don't see a complaint about the size of the budget ???

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Dear Mr Barber,
If all we common customers agree to buy an extra pie on Saturday and if everyone in the 1901 Club agrees to buy two portions of Lasagne and Rustic Chips, can we get another striker, please?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

As Poyet used to comment about budget at every opportunity you mean?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here