Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London Cabbies.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Spent the weekend in London a couple of weeks ago. Went in loads of Black Cabs and Ubers. I'm exempt from wearing a mask but every Uber driver got grumpy about it - some downright rude - while every Black Cab driver was fine. A couple of them even saying "It's a load of bollocks mate.".

So can't say I agree with the OP.
That's probably because the "I'm exempt from wearing a face mask" excuse is somewhat tiring for those that can be bothered to wear one!

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I spent all of last week in Cardiff for work.

I tried desperately to use local taxi firms but every single one, without exception, made a huge song and dance about paying with card.

I made sure they were aware when I booked, I reminded the driver when I got in, and yet come pay-up time they all got uppty. It's 2022 ffs. Have a means to accept card payments.

I ended up using Uber. Every driver was friendly and polite, payment was a breeze, and I could see on the app how close they were to my location.

As much as I don't like Uber as a company I like the convenience and also not feeling like I'm being ripped off or scrabbling around for cash.

I know a lot of cab firms now have apps and most do take cards but it all feels a bit too little and too late.

el punal

Having just come back from Fri to Sun stay, I have to say we found the complete opposite. Private cabs to and from hotel, Ubers too, flagged taxi after Spurs game. All really friendly drivers.

Same here. Took a London taxi from London Bridge station to Liverpool Street on Saturday. He was good as gold. Paid by card and left him a cash tip - the card payment hasn’t been processed yet, here’s hoping! :cheers:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As much as I don't like Uber as a company I like the convenience and also not feeling like I'm being ripped off or scrabbling around for cash.

I know a lot of cab firms now have apps and most do take cards but it all feels a bit too little and too late.
Yep Uber/Ola and Bolt are around half the price of a black cab. What's the point in paying for a black cab these days? Just out of some nostalgic trip down memory lane?

Utter rip off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Black Cabs killed themselves by resisting credit card payments and tech until Uber came along and swept up. I always found the drivers a mixed bag. The later at night the friendlier the driver in my experience. Worrying trend is that Uber are getting much more expensive with surge pricing (can be more than black cabs) and far less of them about too so have had to wait up to 30 mins recently in central London which was unheard of pre-covid.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Black Cabs killed themselves by resisting credit card payments and tech until Uber came along and swept up. I always found the drivers a mixed bag. The later at night the friendlier the driver in my experience. Worrying trend is that Uber are getting much more expensive with surge pricing (can be more than black cabs) and far less of them about too so have had to wait up to 30 mins recently in central London which was unheard of pre-covid.
Uber has definitely become more expensive but there are alternatives (Ola and Bolt)

Average surge price is about 30% which still makes it far cheaper than a black cab. Unfortunately in the US there's some absolutely crazy surge pricing. I've paid 2x or3x the normal fare before. Miami you don't have much choice as the public transport is so bad.

Agree there's definitely less app drivers around now. But I rarely wait over 10 minutes for one in London zone 1/2 and I use them 3/4x a week

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep Uber/Ola and Bolt are around half the price of a black cab. What's the point in paying for a black cab these days? Just out of some nostalgic trip down memory lane?

That may be true in London but it's not in Brighton. I've only taken an Uber once and it was more expensive than my usual cab fare. I gave them a second go and when they told me it would a 50 minute wait, I cancelled it and found myself charged a cancellation fee. I deleted the app and find life is fine without it - seems like Uber is the rip-off company

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ALWAYS use the tube whilst in the smoke, it is simply the best and the staff are so professional [emoji12]

I find the tube in central London a total mess. I always have to go down and then up about 3 sets of escalators, interchanges often involve a 10 minute labyrinthian hike, it’s over priced, all the touch in touch out crap, endless ****ing messages about ends of escalators, minding gaps, staying hydrated. No thanks.

Last time, I was staying in Kings Cross and had to pick up a passport from the passport office; it was quicker and easier to put my running gear on and run there. It is a very nice run along the River as well.

No comment on the drivers :smile:

Last edited:

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Uber / Ola or Bolt over black cab every day of the week. The stereotype of salt of the earth right wing , racist, bigoted, wet ham tatted cabbies is true. And most of them will rip you off blind going the long way round.

So happy app cab companies are putting them out of business.
and up pops the I hate white people thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Get Black Cabs quite often, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

The new electric cabs are amazing with their glass roofs and are extremely comfortable.

They know the streets like the back of their hand and are allowed in the bus lanes. Far more guaranteed to get you somewhere on time than an Uber. Especially if you are travelling to meet a train.

I've had a few nutters, but that's life. They also did an amazing job during the pandemic moving patients between hospitals because a black cab with it's sealed driving area (by design) was easily the safest means of transport available.

I'm less reliant on them now, but it's been an eye opener. As for UBER putting them out of business, that's nonsense.

As long as there are discerning punters like myself who like to travel in style there will always be a market. :)

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Get Black Cabs quite often, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

The new electric cabs are amazing with their glass roofs and are extremely comfortable.

They know the streets like the back of their hand and are allowed in the bus lanes. Far more guaranteed to get you somewhere on time than an Uber. Especially if you are travelling to meet a train.

I've had a few nutters, but that's life. They also did an amazing job during the pandemic moving patients between hospitals because a black cab with it's sealed driving area (by design) was easily the safest means of transport available.

I'm less reliant on them now, but it's been an eye opener. As for UBER putting them out of business, that's nonsense.

As long as there are discerning punters like myself who like to travel in style there will always be a market. :)

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
Get what you pay for ? Haha whatever. You can get an e-class mercedes Uber for less than a black cab. And sorry, google maps beats any cabby. Satellites slightly more efficient at knowing the traffic any given minute than Harry or Garys 'knowlege'
That may be true in London but it's not in Brighton. I've only taken an Uber once and it was more expensive than my usual cab fare. I gave them a second go and when they told me it would a 50 minute wait, I cancelled it and found myself charged a cancellation fee. I deleted the app and find life is fine without it - seems like Uber is the rip-off company
Only in Brighton..... Nothing like that in major cities.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Did I hear right that this is because people down on their luck shall we say would spend all day going round and around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not really, because the the trains do not detrain punters, they run from Hammersmith, Liverpool st to Edgware Road. It is more to do with excessive track and wheel wear, if a train is constantly on a inner or outer rail it has an effect on the track, wheels and brakes, by swapping from inner to outer every other trip goes someway to alleviate this issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here