Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London Cabbies.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just back from a weekend in the smoke. Had the need to take several journeys by black cab whilst l was there, and almost to a man, every cab driver was a surly so and so, all saying as little as possible, and some were outright rude.

In the past whenever travelling anywhere by taxi the driver, having had to complete "the knowledge", would know exactly where every address was, now however that doesn't seem to be the case, with a couple telling me to hail another cab, because l've no idea where that is.

Sadly after many years away standards seem to have seriously slipped. Hardly a great welcome for any foreign vistors on their first trip to London.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Having just come back from Fri to Sun stay, I have to say we found the complete opposite. Private cabs to and from hotel, Ubers too, flagged taxi after Spurs game. All really friendly drivers.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just back from a weekend in the smoke. Had the need to take several journeys by black cab whilst l was there, and almost to a man, every cab driver was a surly so and so, all saying as little as possible, and some were outright rude.

In the past whenever travelling anywhere by taxi the driver, having had to complete "the knowledge", would know exactly where every address was, now however that doesn't seem to be the case, with a couple telling me to hail another cab, because l've no idea where that is.

Sadly after many years away standards seem to have seriously slipped. Hardly a great welcome for any foreign vistors on their first trip to London.
The last black cab I got I left half way through the trip, I know London like the back of my hand and was very disappointed the fella didn’t take the quickest route which also would of avoided sitting in major traffic. When I pointed this out he unlocked the doors and I left he didn’t say a word.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Don't think I've ever got a Black London Cab in my life, is this unusual?

Very wise l'd say if my experiences at the weekend were anything to go by! Jump on a bus or even take a tube, it'll certainly be better value and probably just as quick too with London traffic often clogged up nowadays.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Spent the weekend in London a couple of weeks ago. Went in loads of Black Cabs and Ubers. I'm exempt from wearing a mask but every Uber driver got grumpy about it - some downright rude - while every Black Cab driver was fine. A couple of them even saying "It's a load of bollocks mate.".

So can't say I agree with the OP.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Very wise l'd say if my experiences at the weekend were anything to go by! Jump on a bus or even take a tube, it'll certainly be better value and probably just as quick too with London traffic often clogged up nowadays.

I've got an Uber once or twice, but I've never paid for it. I've worked in London for almost 3 years now and never got in one once, seems like something that might disappear soon.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Uber / Ola or Bolt over black cab every day of the week. The stereotype of salt of the earth right wing , racist, bigoted, wet ham tatted cabbies is true. And most of them will rip you off blind going the long way round.

So happy app cab companies are putting them out of business.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Spent the weekend in London a couple of weeks ago. Went in loads of Black Cabs and Ubers. I'm exempt from wearing a mask but every Uber driver got grumpy about it - some downright rude - while every Black Cab driver was fine. A couple of them even saying "It's a load of bollocks mate.".

So can't say I agree with the OP.

Black cab driver says…
“It’s a load of bollocks mate”

Said proudly from the other side of the large plexiglass screen, what a hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Drivers still have to do the knowledge to get a licence. I lived in London for 22 years and often took a black cab and I've known one not know where anywhere is ... and I lived south of the river!

My father-in-law is a recently retired London cabbie and he certainly seems to know where everywhere is

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Drivers still have to do the knowledge to get a licence. I lived in London for 22 years and often took a black cab and I've known one not know where anywhere is ... and I lived south of the river!

My father-in-law is a recently retired London cabbie and he certainly seems to know where everywhere is

I guess it could have been more a case of him knowing full well where l wanted to go was, but he jsut didn't fancy taking me there, either because it was in the wrong direction, or he would struggle to get a fare back.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I spent all of last week in Cardiff for work.

I tried desperately to use local taxi firms but every single one, without exception, made a huge song and dance about paying with card.

I made sure they were aware when I booked, I reminded the driver when I got in, and yet come pay-up time they all got uppty. It's 2022 ffs. Have a means to accept card payments.

I ended up using Uber. Every driver was friendly and polite, payment was a breeze, and I could see on the app how close they were to my location.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I’ve not known one who knows where Portland Mews South is we stay there quite often and had to explain every single time.

MJsGhost

Remembers
Jun 26, 2009
East
Always use tube, bus or walk in London as no chance of being taken on a roundabout route

^^ THIS ^^

Black cabs are 'convenient' (provided you can hail one) as you can just get in and go - no local knowledge or thinking required, but they are rarely the best way to get around.

They are expensive, usually take longer than a bus and always slower than the tube unless you're not travelling far (which would probably make walking the best option anyway).

I'll use a black cab if I have no time to work out a bus route and need to be above ground to use my mobile, but that's about it.

That said, I've found black cab drivers to be mostly decent over the years. I left my wallet in the back of one c 10 years ago - he found my business cards in there, called me and dropped it back to me (everything still in it, including nearly £100 cash) where we agreed to meet a couple of hours later. Wouldn't take a penny as a thank you either - just said if I really wanted to, I should donate whatever I liked to a worthy charity instead :thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In London a few years ago with kids. Highlight of their trip, and they still talk of it now, was standing on the kerb hailing a black cab. I also remember the 10 minute journey cost over £11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here