Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and the large gains for independents?

Moving from pro Brexit parties to no doubt a mixed bag, I’ll be interested to see how you spin that as a win for Brexit.

Overall, Brexit has taken an absolute pounding. I think you’re clutching at straws slightly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My votes in this local election had nothing to do with my views on Brexit. Only an idiot would link the two.

What like voting for a single policy Anti-EU party at the last few local elections, when it could have no effect, outside of a UK parliamentary election :wink:

(And I know you didn't, but you seem to be suggesting that huge numbers of people who voted UKIP are idiots. That could start a worrying trend)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
already acknowledged, UKIP loses are obviously lose of support for brexit. but else where its a tenuous link. was reading about Wirral where Labour lost seats to Greens, due to local opposition to the Labour council develpment plans for green belt. how many more seats are changing hands because of local issues? i suppose we're just going to go with a narrow view this means the country has rejected brexit.

To be honest even if I were raving 'leave' I would not vote for a UKIP councellor. Not sure why you think UKIP losses are due to loss of support for Brexit. I would have thought it is a combination of realising that no council is going to deliver Brexit, and that UKIP now have a public image of having a new leader every 2 weeks, a series of candidates who have to step down for cringeworthy or illegal behaviour, and a history of incompetance and failure. Oh, and Nigel Farrage as a scornful enemy (until he rejoins and becomes leader again, of course).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agree about the brexit party but change? They are polling very low at the moment and that is unlikely to change.

9% for a Party that didn't even exist a month ago, after a bad night for the two main parties? There are many Remainers in those parties who hate the Lib Dems and will strongly consider voting for Change UK. Indeed, the Greens have toiled for years just to get a small foothold and here's a new party polling at 9%, a rating the Greens can only dream of.

That said, I think it will be important for Change UK to pick up more MPs after the Euro elections. They need to have a significantly bigger Parliamentary presence than the Lib Dems if they are to progress, because the Lib Dems are died in the wool Remain and will remain attractive all the while Pro Brexit leaders are in charge of the main two parties.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh PLEASE tell me you voted Lib Dem. :lolol:

Strangely no - as an Albion fan I would never be such a traitor as to vote for the party that tried to destroy us. I do recognise there are some traitors among us though.

I voted for councillors that have helped me sort local problems ..... their party doesn't play any part in why I voted for them as Brexit didn't either.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
With a reduced UKIP presence and no Brexit party candidates, the Tories might escape with big losses instead of annihilation. Also, talk of a sub 30% turnout.

Interestingly, turnout is similar to the last two local elections

Turnout is averaging just one or two points below the last two local elections, reversing predictions of a major drop off in voters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48142181

I also thought it would be lower. Maybe I should have asked Meg :wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes. Will never happen with Corbyn as leader. Entirely focused on manipulating the process in his own party to ensure he stays as leader for ever. Like Robert Mugabe. Not really interested in what is actually going on in the country. Much more interested in deselecting sitting labour councellors and MPs and replacing them with momentumists. Labour would have walked these elections had they had an actual competant leader.

We have been here before, he's not got much longer as a leader due to his age anyway. As for a " Competent Leader" remember that they all get tarred with the same brush although the hue varies between Marxist, terrorist sympathiser, liar, idiot etc etc. Whoever gets the nod next as Labour leader will have to face the roll out of the dirt digging right wing press who will be going over their speeches, texts, Tweets and photographic history from the moment they left school.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've had a (Momentum) guy on Twitter claim that New Labour were just middle of the road Tories. Apart from the obvious fact that at least New Labour got elected, isn't it funny how his leader is trying to sit on the fence on Brexit - the very definition of middle of the road.

Typical Momentum. Sneering at former New Labour voters. OK, as a former New Labour voter, Momentum Labour does not want my vote. Couldn't be plainer. **** off the, I'll vote for someone else. Who loses?

And they wonder why they don't win (actually they don't wonder about that - they don't want to win, they want to purge themselves of ideological impurity; a bit like extreme Catholics who spend all their time praying, fasting and whipping themselves instead of HELPING THE POOR which is what they should be doing. Clowns).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interestingly, turnout is similar to the last two local elections

Turnout is averaging just one or two points below the last two local elections, reversing predictions of a major drop off in voters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48142181

I also thought it would be lower. Maybe I should have asked Meg :wink:
One of the biggest bollocks in all the load of bollocks spouted over the past few years has been the assertion that the Great British Public have been "turned off politics" and will "never vote again" if Remain parliamentarians get away with thwarting Brexit. This line was usually accompanied by some braying No Deal Tory telling us that back in their constituency they were being instructed to just get on with it.

The reality is that people have probably never been more engaged with politics but turnouts in elections will be largely unaffected.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
already acknowledged, UKIP loses are obviously lose of support for brexit. but else where its a tenuous link. was reading about Wirral where Labour lost seats to Greens, due to local opposition to the Labour council develpment plans for green belt. how many more seats are changing hands because of local issues? i suppose we're just going to go with a narrow view this means the country has rejected brexit.

In Worthing it looks like only 30% of wards had a UKIP candidate standing, if there is no UKIP option on the ballot paper it isn't going to help.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Anyone who thinks the majority or the Tory or Labour Party are pro Brexit are deluded .

They’re the pretend Brexit parties, both doing their best to thwart a proper Brexit as every turn .

The European elections on the 23rd will probably give a clearer picture of the nations mood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone who thinks the majority or the Tory or Labour Party are pro Brexit are deluded .

They’re the pretend Brexit parties, both doing their best to thwart a proper Brexit as every turn .

The European elections on the 23rd will probably give a clearer picture of the nations mood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have to admit, neither are doing as good a job as the ERG at thwarting Brexit.

So the next lot of elections where we elect MEPs (who, just like councillors, can also have no effect whatsoever on the Brexit process) will be the ones to judge.

As my good friend Westdene once said

My votes in this local election had nothing to do with my views on Brexit. Only an idiot would link the two.

Righty oh :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have been here before, he's not got much longer as a leader due to his age anyway. As for a " Competent Leader" remember that they all get tarred with the same brush although the hue varies between Marxist, terrorist sympathiser, liar, idiot etc etc. Whoever gets the nod next as Labour leader will have to face the roll out of the dirt digging right wing press who will be going over their speeches, texts, Tweets and photographic history from the moment they left school.

True enough. But the easiest place to go to get a whiff of Corbyn is Hansard. He has proven to be a loyal opponent of labour in the lobby for decades.

I was quite prepared to set all the chatter aside when he became leader. Even spare head three (McDonnell) stepped away from the 'meetings with the IRA after the Brighton Bombing' in 2016 with 'we thought is was the right thing to do at the time, but hey ho, it was all a long time ago'. I was happy with that. Nevertheless, given the potency of the issue, Corbyn should have presented a retrospective on his choices and statements. Sympathetic interviewer. That's good politics. It would be quite easy to do (anything can be spun). Instead Corbyn did nothing. The answer to 'do you condem IRA terrorism' is 'yes', not 'I condemn all terrorism'. Imagine if he'd been asked if he condemned the Holocaust and he replied 'I condemn all unreasonable behaviour of one group of humanity against another'......and Jimmy Savile - 'I condemn all people who use their position in society to obtain unfair access to things to which they are not entitled'.

No, my feelings about Corbyn are entirely predicated by how he has carried on after he was elected as labour leader. Completely unable to deal with antisemitism in his party. Standing idly by while his Momentum fan club make absurd statements on Twitter and bully and deselect sitting representatives. His handling of Brexit has been worse than May's, since he is obviously not particularly bovvered, and is happy enough to see us leave, but would rather use the issue to force a general election rather than recognise the obvious. As for his actual policies - renationalise everything (using what money to pay the compensation? - or does he plan to simply requisition everything like the Chinese would do?). Yes, we'll all vote for Maoism - bring it on. FFS. He is useless!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
One of the biggest bollocks in all the load of bollocks spouted over the past few years has been the assertion that the Great British Public have been "turned off politics" and will "never vote again" if Remain parliamentarians get away with thwarting Brexit. This line was usually accompanied by some braying No Deal Tory telling us that back in their constituency they were being instructed to just get on with it.

The reality is that people have probably never been more engaged with politics but turnouts in elections will be largely unaffected.

I do wonder if turnouts will be higher in 3-5 years time when the politically minded kids, living through this shitstorm and unable to have their say, come of age. Part of me thinks 'absolutely' but another part thinks 'possibly but I'm vastly over-estimating the number of politically minded kids'.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Seeing senior Labour politicians saying the results so far are a message to "sort Brexit" is so misguided I can only assume they are still sitting on the fence. Pro-Brexit parties are being hammered, pro-Remain parties are doing well, even in areas that voted to Leave. That's not a message to "sort Brexit" unless you are only taking information from very limited sources. But then these are people who believe they can deliver a "jobs first Brexit" despite the fact literally no-one with any credibility or use of evidence or data believes that to be possible.

A mate who canvassed for Labour, not in Brighton but in East Sussex told me that the overwhelming message from people he spoke with was that Labour needs to decide where it sits on Brexit, and unless that is in line with the vast majority of their membership (which is unequivocally prioritising a 2nd referendum) then they won't get support even from their traditional base. We're seeing that played out across the country. Some Labour MPs are saying the same this morning. Will that message ever get through to Corbyn and McDonnell though?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

What you think of all the people who have voted for UKIP in past local elections (and this one), on the basis of their views on the EU?

Presumably they're idiots too, and I would tend to agree.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spinning like a top. Can youi list all of the local issues that led Tory, Labour and UKIP councillors to lose their seats to remain parties. Massive coincidence otherwise, ain't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here