Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because my councillors Dawn Barnett and Tony Janio have a HUGE influence over the PM and her non-handling of Brexit don't they :facepalm:

Read my post again. I'm agreeing with you that local elections should be voted on local issues and parliamentary elections are the place to fight over Brexit :)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Voted Green for the first time in a long time. Fed up with the lack of progress on sustainable transport and pollution. I don't think any other party take these issues seriously, despite their manifestos. FWIW my daughter was hospitalised 6 times in one year when she was 2 or 3 with breathing problems, once in an ambulance with the blue lights on. It was horrible. Pollution related or not, it certainly opened my eyes to the issue and even if it was not the trigger, it cannot help. Fed up with rat-running and aggressive driving. Fed up with near zero enforcement of speed limits and distracted driving.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Getting very annoyed with the BBC coverage which keeps equating Tory losses with Labour losses. At the time of writing the former is 450+, the latter 70+. I don't think it's a conspiracy - it's just lazy journalism fitting the facts to the prevailing narrative.

Stumpy Tim

Getting very annoyed with the BBC coverage which keeps equating Tory losses with Labour losses. At the time of writing the former is 450+, the latter 70+. I don't think it's a conspiracy - it's just lazy journalism fitting the facts to the prevailing narrative.

9 years of opposition, the government in disarray, how on earth are Labour losing seats? It’s a big story

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

They thought a 100 seat gain would be a bad result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone got any clue where Brighton and Hove may end up?

I can see a NOC situation with perhaps the Greens (again) trying to run a minority council. If the national picture is repeated, given the poor historical returns for Lib Dems here, it would seem natural to assume that Green will win back some of its former losses, and that's without local issues like Warren Morgan leaving, the Argus coverage of the Momentum manifesto and the Tories seemingly being very desperate when it comes to selecting new candidates. :whistle:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

9 years of opposition, the government in disarray, how on earth are Labour losing seats? It’s a big story

The Tories should have been sitting ducks. Jezza has missed a bigger open goal than Salah on Wednesday night.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The narrative on the BBC seems to be that this sends the message that people want to get on with Brexit... oddly

brexit.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

lazy to make it equivalent, needs context. as noted, there is an expectation that the incumbent government does bad and the opposition does well. it is interesting to note that Labour have consistently lost seats in local elections since 2014. so par for the course really, people vote for change.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seeing senior Labour politicians saying the results so far are a message to "sort Brexit" is so misguided I can only assume they are still sitting on the fence. Pro-Brexit parties are being hammered, pro-Remain parties are doing well, even in areas that voted to Leave. That's not a message to "sort Brexit" unless you are only taking information from very limited sources. But then these are people who believe they can deliver a "jobs first Brexit" despite the fact literally no-one with any credibility or use of evidence or data believes that to be possible.

A mate who canvassed for Labour, not in Brighton but in East Sussex told me that the overwhelming message from people he spoke with was that Labour needs to decide where it sits on Brexit, and unless that is in line with the vast majority of their membership (which is unequivocally prioritising a 2nd referendum) then they won't get support even from their traditional base. We're seeing that played out across the country. Some Labour MPs are saying the same this morning. Will that message ever get through to Corbyn and McDonnell though?

This is pretty much my view but yesterday, I voted Labour to elect a Labour town councillor and that alone. I'm hoping that the message does get through by the time we get to a GE or I will rethink my position.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Woman in the queue behind me came in to vote for the Brexit party. When informed that they were not represented, she declined to vote for anyone.
I hope that is not represented countrywide tonight/May 23rd

That's hilarious. Maybe there should be a breakaway party for her in local elections so that Patcham can secede from the rest Brighton, and the white middle class right wing voting residents won't have to accept Brighton imposing their "alternative" rules on them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Delusional deputy leader of the Lib Dems being interviewed outside Westminster. Of COURSE the big gains are due to their policies and their sterling work in the community. Nothing at all to do with giving the Tories and Labour a good Brexit-related kicking :rolleyes:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was just looking at the full result down the coast/over the border in the leave voting heartland of Folkestone and Hythe that's just gone NOC from Tory - Tories lost 9 wards, UKIP lost 5, Greens gained 6, Lib Dems gained 2, Labour gained 5 and 1 independent gain.

#nothingtodowithbrexit

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Four results in Worthing so far.

Labour gain * 2
Lib Dem gain * 1
Tory hold * 1

My ward has not declared yet but last time around there was a significant swing to Labour which almost gained the seat, the candidate said that this time around there was a very good response to speaking on the doorstep.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My ward has not declared yet but last time around there was a significant swing to Labour which almost gained the seat, the candidate said that this time around there was a very good response to speaking on the doorstep.

Gaisford? That's gone Labour too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here