Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Spinning like a top. Can youi list all of the local issues that led Tory, Labour and UKIP councillors to lose their seats to remain parties. Massive coincidence otherwise, ain't it?

Agreed! An incredible coincidence! I think that so far the fact that senior politicians from every single party are linking their fortunes in these elections to people's perception of the handling of Brexit, shows just how right those who decided to send a message with their vote were. Imagine if there'd been a Tory or Labour landslide? They would have taken that as validation of their Brexit approach. Local and national politics should be separate, but these local elections show they aren't at all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had a (Momentum) guy on Twitter claim that New Labour were just middle of the road Tories. Apart from the obvious fact that at least New Labour got elected, isn't it funny how his leader is trying to sit on the fence on Brexit - the very definition of middle of the road.

We have plenty of those same sorts on here, calling for the blood of largely decent long-serving MPs because they are "red Tories".

Stumpy Tim

We have plenty of those same sorts on here, calling for the blood of largely decent long-serving MPs because they are "red Tories".

Like Peter Kyle in my constituency. I voted for him in the last election, but Labour's fence-sitting on Brexit is ridiculous - unlike Peter Kyle's sadly. My dislike for Labour has overtaken my admiration of Peter

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What you think of all the people who have voted for UKIP in past local elections (and this one), on the basis of their views on the EU?

Presumably they're idiots too, and I would tend to agree.

Spinning like a top. Can youi list all of the local issues that led Tory, Labour and UKIP councillors to lose their seats to remain parties. Massive coincidence otherwise, ain't it?

I didn't say people didn't make the link ..... I said that those that do are idiots. So anyone that voted along Brexit lines for the LOCAL elections is an idiot.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Like Peter Kyle in my constituency. I voted for him in the last election, but Labour's fence-sitting on Brexit is ridiculous - unlike Peter Kyle's sadly. My dislike for Labour has overtaken my admiration of Peter

But if you vote him out you remove his voice in the party and in Parliament, as well as a good local MP.

I think that's important, and the reason why I vote for Caroline Lucas.

Stumpy Tim

But if you vote him out you remove his voice in the party and in Parliament, as well as a good local MP.

I think that's important, and the reason why I vote for Caroline Lucas.

That's the balance I played at the last election, where his presence outweighed Corbyn and the Ludicrous Left. The tipping point has been reached now unfortunately.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Typical Momentum. Sneering at former New Labour voters. OK, as a former New Labour voter, Momentum Labour does not want my vote. Couldn't be plainer. **** off the, I'll vote for someone else. Who loses?

And they wonder why they don't win (actually they don't wonder about that - they don't want to win, they want to purge themselves of ideological impurity; a bit like extreme Catholics who spend all their time praying, fasting and whipping themselves instead of HELPING THE POOR which is what they should be doing. Clowns).

I've had grief from Momentum too, I'm an undecided voter who has progressive social and economic views so a potential opportunity for them, but envy and agenda driven abuse has ensured there's no way I would give them support.

Engage with people, find out what drives them, and use persuasion and fact are the best ways to succeed in getting their support (and the same goes for Brexit voters too, there's not 17 million racists or stupid people in the UK so stop treating them that way).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Is it ridiculous? It was on the cards for both main parties as soon as the referendum was called. Labour have some of the absolute steadfast brexit constituencies in the country, they are also have some of the staunchest remain such as Hove. If anything, Labour is the party that has the hardest balance between its cosmopolitan metropolitan support base in our large cities, to the traditional working class towns and regions, especially in the North. How does a party with membership and a voter support base that polarised not sit on the fence? Is that not what politics is, compromise? How exactly do you steer a course through that and keep everyone happy?

Stumpy Tim

Is it ridiculous? It was on the cards for both main parties as soon as the referendum was called. Labour have some of the absolute steadfast brexit constituencies in the country, they are also have some of the staunchest remain such as Hove. If anything, Labour is the party that has the hardest balance between its cosmopolitan metropolitan support base in our large cities, to the traditional working class towns and regions, especially in the North. How does a party with membership and a voter support base that polarised not sit on the fence? Is that not what politics is, compromise? How exactly do you steer a course through that and keep everyone happy?

You can't. Pick a side

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can't. Pick a side

Why? Labour are not in government. Labour did not call for or vote to hold a referendum. Labour lost the subsequent election on a manifesto of leaving with a customs union and single market access, and they've stayed consistent to that. Why is it incumbent on them to alienate a proportion of its support on an issue that was never theirs to fight?

What you cannot pick is who is responsible for Brexit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why? Labour are not in government. Labour did not call for or vote to hold a referendum. Labour lost the subsequent election on a manifesto of leaving with a customs union and single market access, and they've stayed consistent to that. Why is it incumbent on them to alienate a proportion of its support on an issue that was never theirs to fight?

giphy.gif

Stumpy Tim

The Brexit vote has happened, and the political parties have to steer their own course forward. Unless you're suggesting the Tories can happily say, "well we didn't create the NHS so why are people having a go at us for ruining it... it wasn't our idea".

The Lib Dems have come out and said they would stop Brexit
The Tories want to make a soft Brexit happen.
UKIP/Brexit party want a hard Brexit
The Labour party have said they favour a Customs Union, but otherwise want a general election, and if not that then maybe something else, including a 2nd referendum but not necessarily.

The other parties are very clear on what they want. Yes there are factions within the Tories, such as the ERG, that aren't on message, but broadly you know what the Tories want. Labour are just muddled and trying to please everyone. Well I'm sorry, but you can't please everyone. Leadership is about having a clear plan and bringing people along with you... can anyone honestly say that Labour are showing any kind of leadership on Brexit?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This is the sort of pathetic fence sitting that have caused people to leave Labour in droves. Nobody really knows what they stand for. If they want to be true to the Brexit vote and appease core leavers in places like Sunderland, then the policy should be on what sort of Brexit they are campaigning for. If they want to pick up disaffected Tories who are so disgusted with Brexit that they'll otherwise vote LibDem instead, then the campaign should be for a second vote. Instead we are getting nothing but bluster. Why bother voting for a party whose policy is so unclear?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Typical Momentum. Sneering at former New Labour voters. OK, as a former New Labour voter, Momentum Labour does not want my vote. Couldn't be plainer. **** off the, I'll vote for someone else. Who loses?

And they wonder why they don't win (actually they don't wonder about that - they don't want to win, they want to purge themselves of ideological impurity; a bit like extreme Catholics who spend all their time praying, fasting and whipping themselves instead of HELPING THE POOR which is what they should be doing. Clowns).

Post of the day :clap2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What you have quoted there is a local issue which has effected one or more local seats at a local election. When hundreds and thousands of these are put together, they create trends. I am really at a complete loss why you are trying to deny the overall trend of this election, but really can't be arsed to argue about what I believe to be blindingly obvious :shrug:

you seem to agree with my point, that there are other issues, more than a single trend. i agree there is a trend for remain areas to vote against the main parties, just dont think it fair to apply that nationally, to elections where other factors apply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here