Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia to Bochum

Jimmy Grimble

https://youtu.be/TKw8t_BNF_4

Locadia also scored in the shoot out against Millwall. If the lino was any good, he’d have scored the winner in extra time as well. I imagine he’d be slightly more revered if that would’ve rightfully stood.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately just another in the line of Albion costly dud buys.

Fortunately we seem to be balancing them out with some good ones - White , Lamptey , etc.

Would suggest it’s more than ‘balanced’ - far more successes than failures, particularly in the last 3-4 seasons. And guess what - we’ll continue to sign players that turn out to be not good enough (or in ‘dud’ Izquierdo’s case, get ruined by injury) - every club does :shrug:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No hard feelings, but absolutely delighted he's gone. If we can just manage to shift Andone now, that is honestly all the dead wood gone. There's not one other player I'd be happy to lose in the entire squad. Graham Potter's blue and white army!!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Again - a bit of a dis-service.

Scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Everton.
Scored the equalising goal in a home draw to Arsenal

So that is 4 PL points in 1 season.

Plus a couple of FA cup goals, League Cup goal.

Still shit - but he at least contributed to us staying in the PL

Another way of looking at it is for a club our size 40 points equates to survival and £150m in price money with each point being worth £3.75 million.

So the extra 2 points for the win and the draw he has directly contributed to £11.25M, quite crude but not a total write off

Edit. True value only if we needed the points for survival or places - haven’t looked and I won’t!

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
One could perhaps add Tau* and Izquierdo** to the list.

*Actually a cheap dud buy.

*Great while he lasted, but that wasn't very long...

Its hard to argue that Albion's recruitment is not - compared to rest of the Premier league and considering their budget/the markets they operate in - really successful.
Certainly not "a long line of expensive duds" ...
If anything you'd expect a Locadia or an Ali J from time to time. Its baked into a transfer strategy like this. It would be incredible if every player was a winner.
But most neutral observers would think that the success rate is pretty remarkable in last three or four years.

Thank god he's gone though. If we have one more "joke" about his Djing then i'd scream. Or the fact he can't head the ball. Or that he doesn't "try" . ENOUGH ALREADY.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bye.

No revisionism here, he was bloody awful, miles away from being a decent EPL forward. Awful first (second and third) touch, a lack of pace and mobility, completely unaware of team-mates.

You win some, you lose some.

I actually thought he showed glimpses just occasionally but, as you say, miles away from a decent EPL forward. And, as he said when he arrived, 'I can't head the ball'. Poor Chris Hughton's heart must have sank when he said that.:facepalm:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I really wanted him to come good and every time he pulled on the stripes I fully supported him and told those around me that this was the time that the real Jurgen Locadia would stand up. Sadly against Leeds it sunk in for me that the real Jurgen Locadia was what we had been seeing all this time, and he was absolutely appalling and disinterested. That was the final straw for me. Good riddance!

i did likewise , (kept faith and positive for big jugs),all would end well and drown the bad karma
but it just never happened did it ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I actually thought he showed glimpses just occasionally but, as you say, miles away from a decent EPL forward. And, as he said when he arrived, 'I can't head the ball'. Poor Chris Hughton's heart must have sank when he said that.:facepalm:

TB and Winstanley now have a load of EPL transfer experience behind them.

As the £31m signings of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh disappear into the distant past.

They have a great track record since imho.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He's finally gone, waste of time and money.
Going on about it, will be sounding like scratched record.

Screenshot_20220106-190604_Chrome.jpg
This did tickle me, from a Bochum fanzine, with Google translation from German to English.:D

https://www.vfl-bochum.de/news/uebersicht/profis/vfl-verpflichtet-juergen-locadia/

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
On his debut I thought he looked ok but that was in comparison to the players of... Coventry City..... and it was first time for me in a seat near the half way line up high and I think I was over exuberant about the view, ooh isn't this lovely. Must have coloured my opinion.

Nothing against a man who was plying his trade abroad and accepted a ridiculous wage offer to play here. Unlikely he'd say "nah, that's way above my level of ability mate, I can't accept". To me, he then played like he knew he didn't belong, like me at school when in the French top class (before demotion), way out of my depth.

While I have nothing against him and (at times) thought maybe he'll play a blinder and come good, it really was a terrible signing and huge waste of money - although now that fees are even higher it doesn't seem quite so bad. But not the point. Also, I don't really subscribe to "oh it wasn't a waste because he helped get us to Wembley". It's the same argument that Stockdale cost us the Championship title with one mistake, rubbish.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
On his debut I thought he looked ok but that was in comparison to the players of... Coventry City..... and it was first time for me in a seat near the half way line up high and I think I was over exuberant about the view, ooh isn't this lovely. Must have coloured my opinion.

Nothing against a man who was plying his trade abroad and accepted a ridiculous wage offer to play here. Unlikely he'd say "nah, that's way above my level of ability mate, I can't accept". To me, he then played like he knew he didn't belong, like me at school when in the French top class (before demotion), way out of my depth.

While I have nothing against him and (at times) thought maybe he'll play a blinder and come good, it really was a terrible signing and huge waste of money - although now that fees are even higher it doesn't seem quite so bad. But not the point. Also, I don't really subscribe to "oh it wasn't a waste because he helped get us to Wembley". It's the same argument that Stockdale cost us the Championship title with one mistake, rubbish.

He's always looked pony.

I remember a fair few on here saying they weren't overly impressed by the youtube highlights reel pre signing, I was one of them. But you trust the process and the recruitment team and give the fella the benefit of the doubt, but alas he was as toss as he looked. A wages thief, more interested in his extra curricula lifestyle and a country mile away from even being a second rate PL attacker.

As others have said, its not Big Jurgs fault thats someone else saw some promise where none existed. I'd sign a 5 year legally binding deal for 50k/pw for just about anything too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here