Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Joking aside, I'd take that as a significant moment to call for an end to the monarchy. And I would absolutely love a GE to happen!
but it's what the people want isn't it? ???

it would be so much fun though, seeing who between the royalist Conservatives and left wing republicans express most confusion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Joking aside, I'd take that as a significant moment to call for an end to the monarchy. And I would absolutely love a GE to happen!
That's what happened last time!
so how would people feel about King Charles dissolving parliament to bring on a GE?
See previous answer.......

This time I pressed the 'add quotes' button, which I hadn't noticed before (I didn't need it to multi-quote a couple of days ago!) The quotes are displayed in the wring order - but it won't let me change that. Ho hum - this new site is going to take more getting used to than RdZ's super-de-luxe tippy-tappy!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Are we?

I’m not sure we are
I am. The Government still has a comfortable majority in the Commons and can pass legislation relatively easily.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am. The Government still has a comfortable majority in the Commons and can pass legislation relatively easily.
this is the argument for not needing a GE.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Almost certainly. I suspect they are hoping that only one person (Sunak probably) will get to the 100 nominations - so no need to go to members.
I didn't see the backing for Sunak, but now that you mention it......
It might need Mordaunt to do the right thing though - to not run. Hunt backed Sunak in the last leadership contest, so no issues there. Hunt can stay in the job in a Sunak cabinet.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We're laughing stock, its pretty much been a seamless crisis since the Tories were allowed to govern in 2015 alone.

Just wait for it, a new dawn will soon be here and the last 12 years were nothing to do with them.

Reckon it will be Sunak unless it goes to the membership and it will be Mordaunt . They won't vote for someone of colour

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We're laughing stock, its pretty much been a seamless crisis since the Tories were allowed to govern in 2015 alone.

Just wait for it, a new dawn will soon be here and the last 12 years were nothing to do with them.

Reckon it will be Mordaunt. If it goes to the membership and Sunak is up against someone white, he'll lose

You keep making this claim about race, but the party have been backed by its supporters with numerous ethnic backgrounds in powerful positions.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rarely do I use the very most extreme four letter word in the Anglo-Saxon dictionary, but, I'd happily use it for both of these C's.
Incredible Johnson has been on holiday, parliament has 22 weeks of recess. When you see people still support him, you can understand how Hitler rose to power

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
this is the argument for not needing a GE.
It would be, if that was what the issue was. However the issue is the changing of leader of the country without consulting the public coupled with (under the recent PM) a total ditching of the manifesto on which the Government was elected.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We (as in 'we, the great British public') did not n fact vote for Johnson, although many people think they did. We voted for our local MP, who belonged to a political party. The party with the most seats at Westminster then has the right to appoint a leader to form a Government. So legally, the mandate is with the Conservative Party, not with any individual.

The party then chooses the leader who forms a government. Not the answer you wanted , probably, but you did ask!
This is a simple fact that a huge number of people "choose" to forget, or misunderstand when it suits them. How many times over the past few years has the argument that we voted for X as PM and not the new leader of the party.

Even the people who voted for Johnson in the last general election didnt vote for him as PM, but as their MP.
IIRC from the last time its something like 50% of our PMs since 1900 have been appointed due to a leadership change rather than a General Election, its possible that now its over 50% so possibly the most common way of becoming PM

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is a simple fact that a huge number of people "choose" to forget, or misunderstand when it suits them. How many times over the past few years has the argument that we voted for X as PM and not the new leader of the party.

Even the people who voted for Johnson in the last general election didnt vote for him as PM, but as their MP.
IIRC from the last time its something like 50% of our PMs since 1900 have been appointed due to a leadership change rather than a General Election, its possible that now its over 50% so possibly the most common way of becoming PM
They only voted for him as their MP if they happened to live in his constituency.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

However at election time we're constantly told that we mustn't vote for X to be leader, whether its Corbyn or Milliband or whoever, and clearly many many people base their vote on who are the leaders of the parties, so its not surprising that at times like these people say 'we didn't vote for this PM', because the Tories whole campaign was about keeping Corbyn out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here