[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The German public broadcaster ARD, noted that Truss was “now the third Conservative leader, after Theresa May and Boris Johnson, to fail to deliver on Brexit promises”.

She argued that future historians would find the roots of British politics’ “current insanity” in 2016. “Firstly, because Brexit has damaged the UK economy so lastingly that any extra market uncertainty leads to far greater turbulence than ever before. Secondly, because Brexit and the inherent magical thinking of a sovereign UK that can go its own way in the globalised 21st-century world, detached from international developments, marked the beginning of the end of rational thinking on the island.”
Truss’s “dramatic failure”, Dittert concluded, “could now spell the end of that wishful thinking – the beginning of something of a British turning point”.
Nope, the headbangers cannot admit their Brexit failure, its " The Wrong Brexit " , the Coalition of Chaos, a rump of Remainer Civil Servants ....never could they be wrong.. even Truss mentioned " the Freedoms of Brexit " in her resignation....obviously without stipulating any !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Expect to see this argument made a lot in the next few days:

Rarely do I use the very most extreme four letter word in the Anglo-Saxon dictionary, but, I'd happily use it for both of these C's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've heard the argument that Boris Johnson has a mandate, I've also heard the argument that as we live in a parliamentary democracy, the Tories have a mandate and therefore we don't need a general election. Which is it nasties?
We (as in 'we, the great British public') did not n fact vote for Johnson, although many people think they did. We voted for our local MP, who belonged to a political party. The party with the most seats at Westminster then has the right to appoint a leader to form a Government. So legally, the mandate is with the Conservative Party, not with any individual.

The party then chooses the leader who forms a government. Not the answer you wanted , probably, but you did ask!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regarding the 100 MP threshold to stand in the next leadership election, does anyone know what happens if no-one reaches that number? Perhaps an indicator that no-one can lead a party that holds a majority in parliament? Meaning...
That was the second thought that crossed my mind (after something about celebrations and purpose-built fermentation premises)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We (as in 'we, the great British public') did not n fact vote for Johnson, although many people think they did. We voted for our local MP, who belonged to a political party. The party with the most seats at Westminster then has the right to appoint a leader to form a Government. So legally, the mandate is with the Conservative Party, not with any individual.

The party then chooses the leader who forms a government. Not the answer you wanted , probably, but you did ask!
100%, totally agree. That's exactly the point I was making🍺 Boris Johnson's supporters have been arguing that he is the only one with a mandate which, as you eloquently point out, simply isn't true

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

But the idea is you have the leader in place before the election. Ken Livingstone stole power in the GLC by mounting a coup after the election result. No matter how shit the person he deposed, and how good he was at the time (he was great; turning into an antisemitic gammon only later), this was wrong.

I can just about live with one leadership change in a parliament. Accidents can happen. But two? One removed for being a lying shit, and the other for being an absolute cretin? This is too much.

They no longer have anything remotely resembling a mandate to govern. Legal technicalities notwithstanding. Leadership requires authority and gravitas, not just a legal right. That's only one step away from a feudal 'right'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
She had to go.

You have to question the composition of the Tory party members if more than half selected The bungle**** and then The Bungletruss in quick succession. f*** me, I hope The Fabricunt doesn't step forward. He'd be irresistible to those hammerheads.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If they are so buggeringly confident they have a mandate, hold a general election. Prove it.

One can’t just win a title and then by not ever competing again, claim they are still world champion 12 years later.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If they are so buggeringly confident they have a mandate, hold a general election. Prove it.

One can’t just win a title and then by not ever competing again, claim they are still world champion 12 years later.
Tell me you’ve never heard of Leeds United, without telling me…

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It has been partly done - both post WWI Germany and Zimbabwee decided they could print money galore to solve their problems. As you say , it caused hyper inflation. So much so a loaf of bread doubled in price each day and in Germany it was cheaper to wallpaper a room in cash than wallpaper.
Trust me though it was a fu..cker to match up the pattern

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so how would people feel about King Charles dissolving parliament to bring on a GE?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How many Tory MPs wrote letters to Brady about Johnson in the end? Be funny if any of them backed him to return 🤣🤦‍♂️

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
so how would people feel about King Charles dissolving parliament to bring on a GE?
The last time King Charles dissolved Parliament it didn't end well.
But the idea is you have the leader in place before the election. Ken Livingstone stole power in the GLC by mounting a coup after the election result. No matter how shit the person he deposed, and how good he was at the time (he was great; turning into an antisemitic gammon only later), this was wrong.

I can just about live with one leadership change in a parliament. Accidents can happen. But two? One removed for being a lying shit, and the other for being an absolute cretin? This is too much.

They no longer have anything remotely resembling a mandate to govern. Legal technicalities notwithstanding. Leadership requires authority and gravitas, not just a legal right. That's only one step away from a feudal 'right'.
Legal technicallity or not, and as unwelcome as it may be, it remains the law. They don't have to have a GE for what, another couple of years or so?

Edit: this is weird. I answered Beohthelm's post, posted it, then answered HWT's post separately - but this new system seems to have automatically lumped them together as a multiple reply.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Joking aside, I'd take that as a significant moment to call for an end to the monarchy. And I would absolutely love a GE to happen!
Quite.

The only conceivable time it happens is if people are on the streets baying for the Government to quit and they’re clinging on while unable to actually do anything to govern the country. We’re a very, very long way from that scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports