Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But Canute was very wise because he was doing it to show his courtiers that he couldn’t when they thought he could….. allegedly.
That was my point :facepalm:

<sigh> I'm wasted on here

:wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whatever else it is, Politics is wonderful entertainment

I've never liked Jeremy Hunt personally, thought some of his policies (particularly around the NHS and the Leveson enquiry) have been absolutely dreadful, if not corrupt, never trusted him and believe him to be a self serving, career politician,

But at least he's good at it. He's like a breath of fresh air, a grown up in the room, all of those things compared to the Brexit cabal of the last 3 years. Ok it's only one in a cabinet of 20 but it's a start. And I'm sure that the fact he's the richest cabinet member (sorry Rishi, he didn't marry into it) won't effect what he does at all.

I genuinely think he's a huge improvement. It's a Funny old world :lolol:

Last edited:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
FfSiS0RWQAIC7Tf.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Something was very wrong this afternoon. Liz Truss seemed disengaged to say the least, and at least one person was concerned about her.

We are all OK with mental health issues these days. If Liz Truss was having a mental health episode, be it stressed out, panic attack or something similar, then in the new spirit of being 'completely honest with the British public', she and her party should tell us.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Something was very wrong this afternoon. Liz Truss seemed disengaged to say the least, and at least one person was concerned about her.

We are all OK with mental health issues these days. If Liz Truss was having a mental health episode, be it stressed out, panic attack or something similar, then in the new spirit of being 'completely honest with the British public', she and her party should tell us.

If she isn't having massive anxiety I would be amazed.
Her every waking second must be akin to a living nightmare of turning up at school without your trousers on.
Her leadership is the Dunning Kruger effect taken to it's absolute limit.
On a humane level she must go.

If a shepherd got a new sheep dog and the first thing it did was started eating lambs ...

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If MMT proposed many of the things that you says it does then yes I would agree, it would be bollocks. But it doesnt. MMT describes how our system actually works now all the time. New money is being created all the time. Apart from the job guarantee, its not a set of policy proposals. Its agnostic politically. The MMT description of the economy is a bit like a circulating water system. Money is introduces when the government/banks turns on the tap (keystrokes) , the water flows around the system (the economy), some leaks out (e.g. abroad), and then goes back to the governments drain (tax). New money is injected when required. You`re right when you say that a sovereign fiat currency such as the UK does have the capacity to create an infinite amount of money and does not have to balance the books. This is because it is not a currency user but the issuer of the currency. Its role is analogous to the banker in a monopoly game or the score keeper in a football match who can never run out of goals. Also as the government is money issuer it does not need taxation or "borrowing" to fund its expenditure. Taxation serves many functions, one of which is to help control inflation, but MMT also proposes other controls such as the job guarantee, and indeed
If MMT proposed many of the things that you says it does then yes I would agree, it would be bollocks. But it doesnt. MMT describes how our system actually works now all the time. New money is being created all the time. Apart from the job guarantee, its not a set of policy proposals. Its agnostic politically. The MMT description of the economy is a bit like a circulating water system. Money is introduces when the government/banks turns on the tap (keystrokes) , the water flows around the system (the economy), some leaks out (e.g. abroad), and then goes back to the governments drain (tax). New money is injected when required. You`re right when you say that a sovereign fiat currency such as the UK does have the capacity to create an infinite amount of money and does not have to balance the books. This is because it is not a currency user but the issuer of the currency. Its role is analogous to the banker in a monopoly game or the score keeper in a football match who can never run out of goals. Also as the government is money issuer it does not need taxation or "borrowing" to fund its expenditure. Taxation serves many functions, one of which is to help control inflation, but MMT also proposes other controls such as the job guarantee, and indeed a reduction in spending to cool things down. In a fiat system, taxation also gives value to the currency, and can be used to create equity and ecourage desirable social outcomes. MMT does not advocate big public spending when the economy is running at full capacity.

In a fiat system, taxation also gives value to the currency, and can be used to create equity and ecourage desirable social outcomes. MMT does not advocate big public spending when the economy is running at full capacity.
It really doesn't.
A logical extension of debt levels being an irrelevance, as you can always pay your debt with new money, is that spending can be as high as you need to achieve all manner of wonderful things, I haven't proposed it, MMT does.
Introducing cuts in spending (austerity?) and raising taxes, is what I would call attempts to balance the books, you say it's just to control inflation, but in the real world, the BoE raises interest rates to slow inflation, MMT advocates keeping Central Bank interest rate at zero, this is not what happens now all the time.
I don't wish to debate this further, but feel free to come back and have the last word if you like.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A
If she isn't having massive anxiety I would be amazed.
Her every waking second must be akin to a living nightmare of turning up at school without your trousers on.
Her leadership is the Dunning Kruger effect taken to it's absolute limit.
On a humane level she must go.

If a shepherd got a new sheep dog and the first thing it did was started eating lambs ...

Well, according to Mogg "she is a very good PM", :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Apparently she's having the cabinet round for drinks at No.10 tonight. The last thing you want to do if you're stoned out of your head is have alcohol with Tories. She'll be on the floor retching before Newsnight starts....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Apparently she's having the cabinet round for drinks at No.10 tonight. The last thing you want to do if you're stoned out of your head is have alcohol with Tories. She'll be on the floor retching before Newsnight starts....

Is Gove attending?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is that why she couldn't make it earlier today, she was blowing up the balloons and making the cheese and pineapple hedgehog

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's the media?
All the noise seems to be coming from the Tory backbenches driven by a wave of self preservation hysteria.
When all the economic arguments for Brexit were dismantled, we were left with the vague notion of sovereignty, which would make it all worthwhile and they have pissed this up the wall, by sticking two fingers up to any form of scrutiny, governance or accountability.
It's over, but the death throes may continue for some time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That is a quite incredible interview on C4 News tonight of Jeremy Hunt by Krishnan Guru-Murthy. The PM is not in power.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I'd be made up abut that 10 coming in. Or going out if you get my drift.
When Boris stepped down (was pushed), there was some commentary that he didn't really accept it and he expected to be back. At the time I thought it was totally delusional madness.

But today, I absolutely wouldn't bet against them sticking that fuckwit Boris back in number 10. It may turn out, despite he's buffoon act, he is playing 5D political chess here. Just a shame he couldn't put that skill towards making things better rather than just holding power for the sake of holding power.
**shudder**
She looked stoned out of her tiny mind.
Shellshocked. Maybe a spliff would help.

If I was being paid by the Cons in an advisory capacity, I'd tell them to escape and do a Reggie Perrin. Call an election with fake confidence and let Lab inherit the shittiest situation in living memory. If Lab were to turn it round, fair play but the Cons could regroup and make a hero's return in 5 year's time. Obviously they would need to flush the jobbies PDQ, you know like the ERG and DIY haircut prats (bungle**** and Fabricunt). Piece of piss.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Truss tonight.

"We've got the lowest unemployment since 1974. I delivered the energy price guarantee and the national insurance. And we're dealing with militant unions. This winter families will be protected. What I can reassure people of is the most vulnerable families will be protected. The chancellor will need to think about economic stability. We are facing a very difficult situation internationally. I have said sorry for the fact we went too far and too fast. We did help people with their energy bills. We are in a difficult situation. I appointed the chancellor because I knew we had to pursue these policies."

Shoot me now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here