Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Seems very odd that the Prime Minister was not able to unblock a meeting clash in her diary. Who exactly was so important they couldn't be put back to a later time/date?
thumbs_b_c_346eb7d61afb92311f5b031a5ddf893b.jpg

"You have failed me for the last time, Elissabet..."

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What an absolute shitshow, someone put some new batteries in Lizz ffs

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And she's buggered off already (from the Commons) wet patch left on the green bench.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think the media could do with turning down the temperature a little bit. The hounding of Liz Truss is unpleasant. She is clearly out of her depth, it's obvious to everyone - but it's all getting very personal now in the hunt for social media clicks and content to keep people hooked on watching 24/7 and browsing their App.

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think their level of hysteria contributed to the crash in the markets if not drove it. Obviously, the policies were a huge problem and it was right that was made clear and the opposition to it was voiced and covered adequately. But there does come a point where it's just nasty and inhuman.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the media could do with turning down the temperature a little bit. The hounding of Liz Truss is unpleasant. She is clearly out of her depth, it's obvious to everyone - but it's all getting very personal now in the hunt for social media clicks and content to keep people hooked on watching 24/7 and browsing their App.

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think their level of hysteria contributed to the crash in the markets if not drove it. Obviously, the policies were a huge problem and it was right that was made clear and the opposition to it was voiced and covered adequately. But there does come a point where it's just nasty and inhuman.
Have people missed what the press have done to candidates they haven't wanted in power over the last 30 years? There are posts today as if the turning on Liz Truss is some new fresh approach that is far too personal. Does it only register when it is against somebody you have sympathy with? I don't remember the outrage when the press were tearing apart Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband?

I completely agree with you that it's not healthy in politics and it was the point I made in this thread on Saturday that it impacts how well MPs can communicate their policies and ideas with us because they are, rightly in a lot of cases, nervous about how the press will twist and present things.

That said, I can't see any correlation between the markets and the press as they reacted before the press did, the press reacted to the markets.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

just saying this to the missus. media are demanding details and minute by minute coverage, when nothing will be settled for at least two weeks. risk is rushed poorer policy just to please their appetite. so they get a resignation, then what, another leadership election? or a GE, 4-5 weeks of campaign. all further delay an actual energy price cap - the most important policy right now.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but on this occasion - f*** that. She and Kwarteng, and the rest of her party, have between them ensured that millions of people will be hundreds of pounds worse off per month over the next year. They would've known this, but happy to proceed with their experiment regardless.
They deserve to be scrutinised to the extent they are.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Higher bankers bonuses here to stay, still feathering their own nest for the future
I can assure you, as I am closely involved in this through my work, that removal of the bankers' bonus cap will not significantly change the amounts paid to senior bankers. Like almost all large employers, banks have carefully determined pay budgets and answer to shareholders on senior staff pay - they aren't going to suddenly blow the budget.

The truth is that bankers have been receiving large bonuses all through the life of the cap, except they are not called "bonuses" but paid instead as non-pensionable "role-based allowances" or similar, which are a part of fixed pay.

In any case, even if bankers are paid more, the result is that 60.8% of the extra "bonus" goes immediately to the Exchequer through PAYE and NI withholdings. This is much more than the alternative - taxed at 27% Corporation Tax (inc. surcharge) and distributed to pension funds and other shareholders with generally little to no additional tax generated.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here