Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Mordaunt and Hunt were always the biggest threats to Labour post-Johnson. I'm not a fan of either beyond them at least being able to pretend to be adults and serious politicians. Hopefully she walks tomorrow am. I don't want the Tories having a better chance at the next election but we really need, as a nation, to start acting like serious and proper human beings. She's cooked.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Well Liz has apologised for being crap at her job and I for one am sure that all we need to do as a country is get behind her and everything will be fine.

Part of me misses Boris because I thought he was a great guy, Teressa because she had a great sense of humour and Dave because he knew how to pleasure himself with dead farm animals .... but we need to move on.

Strong and stable!

Work will set us free!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Scrutinised - of course. The coverage should make it clear what they're getting up to and why it impacts real people in a severe and significant way. But hounding the woman because it makes great TV is not pleasant and flies in the face of the "Be Kind" rhetoric they trot out when mental health comes up. Practice what you preach.
Would you say that if she were male? She hasn't had any dirt dished up on her private life, nothing personal said against her at all as far as I've seen. Boris and his however many kids and affairs were bought up. People are just saying that they think she is absolutely shit at the job, that she has held for less than 2 months. It's not like her job is a supermarket manager that we'd have a moan about if there was only 1 till open. Whoever is the PM, one way or another effects all of our lives. Some will benefit from policies, some won't, but pretty much the whole country has agreed that tanking the economy with a 'mini budget' is not the best way forward. You're making it sound like we should just say 'oh dear, that's a shame, never mind'. 80,000 members of the Conservative party voted for her on the back of her leadership bid policies, are they allowed to be miffed that the policies they voted for have been binned? In 3 weeks we've seen pension funds obliterated, mortgages increased by £400 per month, pretty much overnight. Nothing has been solved regarding inflation & we're now looking at austerity mark two. It's not a personal attack, the attack's have actually come from her by saying that anyone who thought the 'mini budget' was madness is part of a mythical 'Anti-Growth Coalition'. I haven't joined a mythical coalition but when the 'mini budget' was announced my thought was 'WTF'. Now she's sacked the Chancellor that she chose & who implemented the policies that she put forward for her leadership bid, but has put in another one who has completely changed it, are people supposed to say 'oh well, never mind, she tried'? No one is 'hounding' her, people rightly expect that the PM will answer questions and give a rationale to her plans. Saying growth is not good enough. It's not too much to ask what her 'actual' future plans are for the country. It is the most ridiculous case of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite I have ever heard of but the PM basically has people's lives' in her hands. Asking questions and wanting answers for something so serious is not 'hounding'.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The odds of Truss going lengthened considerably after she turned up on TV, failed to apologise for being crap at her job and sheepishly sort of acknowledged that loads of the Tories want her out.

This is like the Saturday boy at Dolcis being told he has one more chance as long as he promises to stop sniffing feet.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
New levels of oddness today, but the stress for those in the firing line must be horrific.

.. and I don't want to see potential mental health issues played out on TV.

Something is clearly very wrong.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
FfTPZq2WIAA1CX5

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can assure you, as I am closely involved in this through my work, that removal of the bankers' bonus cap will not significantly change the amounts paid to senior bankers. Like almost all large employers, banks have carefully determined pay budgets and answer to shareholders on senior staff pay - they aren't going to suddenly blow the budget.

The truth is that bankers have been receiving large bonuses all through the life of the cap, except they are not called "bonuses" but paid instead as non-pensionable "role-based allowances" or similar, which are a part of fixed pay.

In any case, even if bankers are paid more, the result is that 60.8% of the extra "bonus" goes immediately to the Exchequer through PAYE and NI withholdings. This is much more than the alternative - taxed at 27% Corporation Tax (inc. surcharge) and distributed to pension funds and other shareholders with generally little to no additional tax generated.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the cap - It wasn't a punitive measure rather (in hope at least!) a preventative one. Very similar budgets and pay structures were in place prior to 2008 but it didn't stop the financial crisis. The purpose was to try and discourage risky, short term practices so if, as you say, the bonuses have been replace by 'role-based allowances' as part of fixed pay then maybe they are less inclined to take such big risks. That certainly doesn't support this government's long held position though, that the caps make UK banks less competitive...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever else it is, Politics is wonderful entertainment

I've never liked Jeremy Hunt personally, thought some of his policies (particularly around the NHS and the Leveson enquiry) have been absolutely dreadful, if not corrupt, never trusted him and believe him to be a self serving, career politician,

But at least he's good at it. He's like a breath of fresh air, a grown up in the room, all of those things compared to the Brexit cabal of the last 3 years. Ok it's only one in a cabinet of 20 but it's a start. And I'm sure that the fact he's the richest cabinet member (sorry Rishi, he didn't marry into it) won't effect what he does at all.

I genuinely think he's a huge improvement. It's a Funny old world :lolol:
Agreed. There is an expression: "In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is King." Compared to Truss and Johnson Hunt is a political colossus. I too feel there is a slight improvement and perhaps things won't be quite as bad as we all feared now that at least there is a grown-up in charge. And no, I never thought I'd say that about Jeremy Hunt!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the cap - It wasn't a punitive measure rather (in hope at least!) a preventative one. Very similar budgets and pay structures were in place prior to 2008 but it didn't stop the financial crisis. The purpose was to try and discourage risky, short term practices so if, as you say, the bonuses have been replace by 'role-based allowances' as part of fixed pay then maybe they are less inclined to take such big risks. That certainly doesn't support this government's long held position though, that the caps make UK banks less competitive...
I understand perfectly the purpose and background of the bankers' bonus cap and, presumably having read the content of my post, it's a little insulting that you'd think otherwise.

I was addressing the widely-held misconception, including seemingly in the post I quoted, that removal of the cap will somehow mean that bankers will (en masse) be paid significantly more.

The counterargument for the removal of the cap is that, unlike bonuses, the fixed pay elements are not linked to company performance which means that even if the bank loses money (or the individual/team performs badly) the bankers still receive their high pay, which potentially further damages the company financials.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Would you say that if she were male? She hasn't had any dirt dished up on her private life, nothing personal said against her at all as far as I've seen. Boris and his however many kids and affairs were bought up. People are just saying that they think she is absolutely shit at the job, that she has held for less than 2 months. It's not like her job is a supermarket manager that we'd have a moan about if there was only 1 till open. Whoever is the PM, one way or another effects all of our lives. Some will benefit from policies, some won't, but pretty much the whole country has agreed that tanking the economy with a 'mini budget' is not the best way forward. You're making it sound like we should just say 'oh dear, that's a shame, never mind'. 80,000 members of the Conservative party voted for her on the back of her leadership bid policies, are they allowed to be miffed that the policies they voted for have been binned? In 3 weeks we've seen pension funds obliterated, mortgages increased by £400 per month, pretty much overnight. Nothing has been solved regarding inflation & we're now looking at austerity mark two. It's not a personal attack, the attack's have actually come from her by saying that anyone who thought the 'mini budget' was madness is part of a mythical 'Anti-Growth Coalition'. I haven't joined a mythical coalition but when the 'mini budget' was announced my thought was 'WTF'. Now she's sacked the Chancellor that she chose & who implemented the policies that she put forward for her leadership bid, but has put in another one who has completely changed it, are people supposed to say 'oh well, never mind, she tried'? No one is 'hounding' her, people rightly expect that the PM will answer questions and give a rationale to her plans. Saying growth is not good enough. It's not too much to ask what her 'actual' future plans are for the country. It is the most ridiculous case of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite I have ever heard of but the PM basically has people's lives' in her hands. Asking questions and wanting answers for something so serious is not 'hounding'.

To be fair she has got a bit of form…….doesn’t make her a bad person.

I‘m just sitting here watching GMB and seeing this latest political shit storm unfold, but underneath it all we’ve got a film report about hungry children forraging from bins in a London school, others turning up to school with virtually nothing in their lunchboxes, in the 21st century Ffs 🙈

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Simon Hoare on Today - “the good news for one nation Tories is that the libertarian Tea Party take over is dead in the water”

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Have you been in a coma these past couple of months?
I've managed to miss anything particularly interesting that's been dredged up from her personal life.
Whether that's because nobody's bothered to look, because she's lived an almost entirely virtuous life, or because it's been completely swamped by endless stories of her dazzling incompetence, is difficult for me to say.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed. There is an expression: "In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is King." Compared to Truss and Johnson Hunt is a political colossus. I too feel there is a slight improvement and perhaps things won't be quite as bad as we all feared now that at least there is a grown-up in charge. And no, I never thought I'd say that about Jeremy Hunt!
If there is any further evidence needed of how bad things have got, it is that Jeremy Hunt has ended up the smartest person in the room.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stolen from the Twattersphere:

There once was a PM called Truss
Whose policies caused quite a fuss
But instead of departing
She called Mr Kwarteng
And pushed the bloke under a bus

Then when she had pulled off this stunt
Truss got on the phone to Jez Hunt
And told him to enforce
The opposite course
I bet Kwarteng thinks she's a ... cow

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well Liz has apologised for being crap at her job and I for one am sure that all we need to do as a country is get behind her and everything will be fine.

Part of me misses Boris because I thought he was a great guy, Teressa because she had a great sense of humour and Dave because he knew how to pleasure himself with dead farm animals .... but we need to move on.

Strong and stable!

Work will set us free!
Arbeit macht frei?

She reckons she is going to lead them in to the next election? Johnson was going on about being PM for 10 years about 20 days before he was ditched.

At least with Mordaunt and Hunt now we’ve got a couple of people akin to grown ups in the room. I was going to say “in charge”, but they’re all saying Truss is still in charge:unsure: we shall see!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ah - the inevitable ‘apology’ BBC interview.

It’s all going to be alright folks because she has said sorry! She still believes in a low tax, high growth economy so we’re all going to be fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here