Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Scrutinised - of course. The coverage should make it clear what they're getting up to and why it impacts real people in a severe and significant way. But hounding the woman because it makes great TV is not pleasant and flies in the face of the "Be Kind" rhetoric they trot out when mental health comes up. Practice what you preach.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have people missed what the press have done to candidates they haven't wanted in power over the last 30 years? There are posts today as if the turning on Liz Truss is some new fresh approach that is far too personal. Does it only register when it is against somebody you have sympathy with? I don't remember the outrage when the press were tearing apart Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband?

I completely agree with you that it's not healthy in politics and it was the point I made in this thread on Saturday that it impacts how well MPs can communicate their policies and ideas with us because they are, rightly in a lot of cases, nervous about how the press will twist and present things.

That said, I can't see any correlation between the markets and the press as they reacted before the press did, the press reacted to the markets.
Totally agree.

But I also think that Truss has brought it on herself with her unspeakable arrogance, seeming self-assurance and total dismissal of everyone who went against her, whether in the leadership campaign or since. Everything that Sunak said in the contest about caution was rubbished. Anyone objecting to the budget was dismissed as a member of the anti-growth coalition. She and her chancellor ploughed on while dismissing the very well respected senior civil servant at the Treasury, and sidelined the OBR, both of which would probably have pointed out the inherent dangers of what they were doing, the reactions there would be.

They both profess to be great believers in market forces. It has been the markets which have done for them. I do feel slightly guilty that I don't feel sorry for Liz Truss - I was going to say more sorry, but I don't feel sorry for her in the least. She has brought it all on herself. She has a drastically inflated view of her own ability. Both Penny Mordaunt and Jeremy Hunt have shown today that they would have been better leaders.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Truss is someone who has spent her whole career treading on others with the end game of implementing a policy platform that would hurt millions of people. She knew her hedge fund backers weren't backing her for no reason.

She deserves everything bad that happens to her. No sympathy at all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That said, I can't see any correlation between the markets and the press as they reacted before the press did, the press reacted to the markets.
media has sensationalised and parroted a number of untrue details the past couple of weeks. the original market moves led of course in response to the not-a-budget. later moves seem in response to the constant media output, when nothing had materially changed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So who is the designated survivor? Mark Francois. The 0.1% of bacteria Domestos can’t deal with.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
media has sensationalised and parroted a number of untrue details the past couple of weeks. the original market moves led of course in response to the not-a-budget. later moves seem in response to the constant media output, when nothing had materially changed.
So nothing to do with the putdown by the IMF, the buying of gilts by the BOE, the are going for growth and not turning from No.10 and 11......all caused by the uncosted non-budget.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I think the media could do with turning down the temperature a little bit. The hounding of Liz Truss is unpleasant. She is clearly out of her depth, it's obvious to everyone - but it's all getting very personal now in the hunt for social media clicks and content to keep people hooked on watching 24/7 and browsing their App.

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think their level of hysteria contributed to the crash in the markets if not drove it. Obviously, the policies were a huge problem and it was right that was made clear and the opposition to it was voiced and covered adequately. But there does come a point where it's just nasty and inhuman.
Desperately unpleasant, nasty and inhuman - totally agree.
Always has been.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Scrutinised - of course. The coverage should make it clear what they're getting up to and why it impacts real people in a severe and significant way. But hounding the woman because it makes great TV is not pleasant and flies in the face of the "Be Kind" rhetoric they trot out when mental health comes up. Practice what you preach.
Bollocks. That's all.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

This isn't some teenager who's had too much botox, this is someone who looked in the mirror every day and thought 'what this country needs is more of me' (at best). Hounding her out of office as soon as possible is the best that could happen for everyone in the country including her. Prolonging things is cruel. Get rid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mugs on here feeling sorry for her? Get a grip
i dont feel sorry for her, she took it on and has to own it. there's a point at which is has a negative outcome on us, on governance and how policy goes. everyone wants a resignation without thinking of short term consequnces.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know that this was obvious when she became PM but, this looks like the end game already. I think she won't make it to PMQ's this week and will be gone within 48 hours.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the media could do with turning down the temperature a little bit. The hounding of Liz Truss is unpleasant. She is clearly out of her depth, it's obvious to everyone - but it's all getting very personal now in the hunt for social media clicks and content to keep people hooked on watching 24/7 and browsing their App.

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think their level of hysteria contributed to the crash in the markets if not drove it. Obviously, the policies were a huge problem and it was right that was made clear and the opposition to it was voiced and covered adequately. But there does come a point where it's just nasty and inhuman.
My sympathy will go to those who will have to choose between heating and food this winter, those who have already lost their jobs and now have a choice of multiple minimum wage jobs, those who are still in work (often in multiple jobs) but are sinking under raging inflation, those who have elderly friends and family in care homes that can't get staff, those on NHS waiting lists in pain and with ever worsening conditions, those who are going to lose their homes as a result of increases in their mortgages, those who are going to lose their homes as a result of increases in their rents, those who may manage to get beyond both of these problems and just end up in negative equity. And even more so for those who are going to suffer the above but never voted for any of it.

As for this current bunch of narcissistic, incompetent ***** who have Governed over this complete clusterf*** for nearly 3 years, they can **** themselves because I can GUARANTEE not one of them will suffer any of the above personally and will have significantly improved their personal situations as a result.

So that's a no from me :wink:

But on the bright side, It is an opportunity for proper conservatives to get their party back, although I suspect that will still take some time yet.

Last edited:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
My sympathy will go to those who will have to choose between heating and food this winter, those who have already lost their jobs and now have a choice of multiple minimum wage jobs, those who are still in work (often in multiple jobs) but are sinking under raging inflation, those who have elderly friends and family in care homes that can't get staff, those on NHS waiting lists in pain and with ever worsening conditions, those who are going to lose their homes as a result of increases in their mortgages, those who are going to lose their homes as a result of increases in their rents, those who may manage to get beyond both of these problems and just end up in negative equity. And even more so for those who are going to suffer the above but never voted for it.

As for this current bunch of narcissistic, incompetent ***** who have Governed over this complete clusterf*** for nearly 3 years, they can **** themselves because I can GUARANTEE not one of them will suffer any of the above personally and will have significant improved their situations.

So that's a no from me :wink:
why don’t you say what you mean and stop beating around the bush

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
How's this for market sentiment.

Truss exit date odds 2022:

A month ago 100/1
Last week 13/1
Today 1/3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here