Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So Kwarteng announces he will not increase Corporation Tax to 25% but keep it at 19%, the markets don't like that so you replace him with Jeremy Hunt, a man whose core pledge in the leadership race just 3 months ago was to reduce Corporation Tax to 15%.

The Thick Of It, Veep, Yes Prime Minister don't even come close to this level of incompetence. She was at the lectern for just 9 minutes and fielded just 4 questions in that time. Unbelievable.

She may have fielded 4 questions, but she didn't actually answer any of them. All she did was parrot the phrases she had rehearsed:

'I am determined...............economic stability..............difficult issues..........', with wooden hand movements.

Then, at the end of each answer, she didn't refer back to the questioner, to see if she had answered his question. After all that has happened, it was nowhere near good enough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
She may have fielded 4 questions, but she didn't actually answer any of them. All she did was parrot the phrases she had rehearsed:

'I am determined...............economic stability..............difficult issues..........', with wooden hand movements.

Then, at the end of each answer, she didn't refer back to the questioner, to see if she had answered his question. After all that has happened, it was nowhere near good enough.
Three big differences between her and Boris (who, let's remind ourselves, hid in a fridge to escape reporters and mostly operated on a "no interviews by anyone" policy):

1) She has neither the charisma nor the chutzpah to bluff an answer
2) She actually really, really believes in her insane policies. Bojo just punted what ever he thought would be popular and
3) She doesn't have an eminent scientist next to her to forward hospital pass questions to when the old grey matter stops working.

In some ways I actually think this is doing the country some good. Stripped of the 'hale fellow well met' bluster everyone can see the the more fundamental libertarians and hard line Brexiteers are actually mental and do actually hate the working class. The Tory party is facing another existential crisis. Either the more sane one nation Tories need to split off, leaving the likes of Truss, Baker and JRM to run a freak show or the party itself needs to become more one nation.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
no one likes tax. i know no one who would pay more tax than what they are asked to pay. its a means to an end. the flip side is Labour who will solve any and all problems with a few billion spending promise, usually without say what it would be spent on. it would be nice to hear policy first, pros & cons, then what it costs and options, and then how that might be raised (flatter the better). this is my dream.
If you KNEW tax (or contribution) was being used to benefit you and your community and your children etc, why wouldn't you want to pay/contribute more tax? Since f***ing King John, the problem is that the rulers/establishment spend tax pounds on the wrong f***ing things!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
She is massively out of her depth, if she carries on until the next election, i can see her having a nervous breakdown.

I suspect this is the only way the party can replace her without forcing a general election.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Magic Money Tree*. it may as well, as thats the intent, to portray an economy where government can create money and spend on what they like and doesnt need to borrow. despite trillions of dollars, pounds, euros, yen, yuan, etc, it says the governments are doing it all wrong.

(*Modern Monetary Theory)
Complete misrepresentation of MMT of course

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you KNEW tax (or contribution) was being used to benefit you and your community and your children etc, why wouldn't you want to pay/contribute more tax? Since f***ing King John, the problem is that the rulers/establishment spend tax pounds on the wrong f***ing things!
Since I have become an adult, I have seen the things which used to be free, become costs. My daughter will take on at least £45k in debt to complete her degree.

The game of politics has become tiresome.
The purpose of the state is to provide the infrastructure and services the population need.

Telling us they can't afford to provide these things should reflect badly on them.
But it doesn't.

I find it very irritating

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
That press conference reminded me of my dissertation presentation at uni, for which I'd done zero work and faced up against an angry phd student who was assessing us along with an audience of my contemporary's and my dissertation tutor.

I was hungover, thinking about Deep Purple and making stuff up on the spot... with three or four well-rehearsed key phrases I thought I'd be fine...

I was wrong.

I remember that phd students' eyes boring into me, he knew I had nothing, paper thin at best... he destroyed me... Oh, he was an utter cock, but he was right I'd done f*** all and I was pretty proud of it.

One question:

"Stephen... where would you find the periodicals related to your chosen subject area....?" "Errrrr in the library?"

"Where in the library...?" "Errrrr the fifth floor..."

"Any texts/articles you could recommend based on your reading for the benefit of the audience?"

".... .... All of them."

It was and remains, one of my finest moments... that and my legendary 12% essay on global environmental issues.... and yet I still got a 2.2.

Now that's rock and roll.

But at least I didn't have aspirations to be prime minister.

oh, and I went to the library on about five occasions in three years... the union was to the left and adventure book lore dictates you take the left-hand passageway..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is to NOBODIES surprise that Truss and Kwasi have been an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who thought otherwise is a weapons-grade moron. She will be gone soon as well.
It's NOBODY'S surprise actually, but yes, you're right about that - I certainly wasn't surprised. Probably the only people not surprised are the blue rinse Tory supporters who voted against having a person of colour as PM.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone who saw Liz Truss during her leadership bid, her avoidance of questions, her lack of understanding and the repeated sound bites, could see that she was not suitable for the highest office. Except the Tory membership.

I'm not well disposed to the Tory party, but I cannot believe that there is not one person in there more capable than her to lead the country. There must be.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Before I wade into this thread can someone instruct me what I can and can't talk about please? I notice hundreds of other threads are perfectly happy to wander off topic without so much as a sniff from a moderator but this one has special economic and political rules apparently So I don't want to offend any of the self appointed experts...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Needs to be a change of the rules so that a change of PM, for absolutely any reason, triggers an immediate GE.

Hume, Callaghan, Major (for 2 years), Brown and Truss did/do not have a direct mandate from the electorate.

THE key job and our government, their de facto new manifesto, the public must get to decide.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Anyone who saw Liz Truss during her leadership bid, her avoidance of questions, her lack of understanding and the repeated sound bites, could see that she was not suitable for the highest office. Except the Tory membership.

I'm not well disposed to the Tory party, but I cannot believe that there is not one person in there more capable than her to lead the country. There must be.
They only had a choice of two. I guess for some reason (can't think what), the mostly elderly white members took against the alternative to Truss.

Sunak must be chuckling away at all this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here