Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The problem with tax is that tories seem to have lower tax as their single most important agenda item. Not because it is coherent, part of a plan for growth, or anything, but because they don't like tax. It's that simple.
no one likes tax. i know no one who would pay more tax than what they are asked to pay. its a means to an end. the flip side is Labour who will solve any and all problems with a few billion spending promise, usually without say what it would be spent on. it would be nice to hear policy first, pros & cons, then what it costs and options, and then how that might be raised (flatter the better). this is my dream.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looked like she ran away at the end because she didn't like the questions.

Reactions: cjd

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
She's not very good, is she?

She sounded completely devoid of any kind of conviction or passion or anything at all in that press conference. Dead PM walking :wave:
Thing is, none of these attributes are news, we have known this for weeks/months/years.

However, she still got the second highest number of MPs voting for her and most Tory party members :shrug:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I don't even know what MMT stands for:rolleyes:
Magic Money Tree*. it may as well, as thats the intent, to portray an economy where government can create money and spend on what they like and doesnt need to borrow. despite trillions of dollars, pounds, euros, yen, yuan, etc, it says the governments are doing it all wrong.

(*Modern Monetary Theory)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
So, she’s now pulled the Corporation tax reduction, what about the costings they were going to show us in a few weeks, can only assume it was impossible to balance the books without significant cuts to public services?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So, she’s now pulled the Corporation tax reduction, what about the costings they were going to show us in a few weeks, can only assume it was impossible to balance the books without significant cuts to public services?
well yes, thats been the problem. cut services or borrow more, have to cover the gap somewhere.

i think we're now left with the 1p off income tax and cut of the social care levy (aka NI). both supported by Labour so easy to carry on with, and the latter was new spending so relatively easy to cut (dont increase spending in that area).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Princess Leia [on Liz Truss succeeding Boris Johnson] "it could've been worse"
Han Solo "it's worse"
Feels like we're all in the trash compactor...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here