Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I see they've even managed to screw up Truss's letter to Kwarteng by signing it in his name. Is No 10 run by a bunch of halfwits - kids on work experience wouldn't manage to do that.

Larry increasingly looks like the best option
That's apparently normal. The recipients name is at the bottom.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’m replying to other posters who are also making the the same point over and over again by maintaining that government economic policy should be regarded in the same way as a household but I suspect it’s a fundamental principle with which you concur
thatch did, she was a bit simplistic

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Must admit I thought Hunt was all but dead after the number of votes he secured in the leadership contest, now all of a sudden the prospect of him becoming PM isn't out of the question

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
I don't think anyone is bullying anyone. He obviously has a deep interest in MMT, a school of economic theory followed by what is a relatively niche sector of the economic world.

He has repeatedly been asked politely (by quite a significant number of people now) to start a thread on this interest to allow discussion of this theory for those who wish to debate it and not try and wedge into a discussion on Liz Truss and her role as PM of Britain. I do not believe that Liz Truss has ever mentioned MMT in relationship to running the British economy.

I think everyone is quite chilled, just maybe a little puzzled why BenGarfield won't start a thread to discuss his somewhat niche interest :shrug:
Firstly it’s not niche and secondly it’s completely relevant to discussing Lynn Truss’s failed policies but people only want this debate within a narrow neo-liberal agenda.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I don't even know what MMT stands for:rolleyes:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am not a political person and know very little, but one thing is pretty clear this is a complete shambles.
Is there precedent for the government to throw it's hands up and in the air, and say you have a go then.

I really do not know if Labour could do any better in this world wide economic climate.
Would the markets dive further ?
Could there not be a coalition of parties to get through this for the good of the country ?
Surely that would be a great idea ?
or would that just complicate shite.

Could Labour alone instil confidence in the markets and economy ?

The real problem is that this clusterf*** hasn't come about as the result of the last couple of months under Truss and Kwarteng. This has been gradually building momentum for the last 3 years with some significant steps taken long before that.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that any of your suggestions will bring about a turnaround any time soon. It will take at least a decade of solid, intelligent and well planned hard work to turn this clusterf*** around

Ever the optimist

Wz :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Deffo reckon a man that said we should follow China camps policy during the pandemic is the right man to be in charge of the economy.
Hunt's an oddball. He also believes in homeopathy, and yet was Health Secretary. I suspect he's the only acceptable Tory left who's willing to do the job. It can't be anyone close to Truss, Boris or Sunak. That leaves Jeremy, who you suspect doesn't have many friends in the party, or in life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Preferable to this shambolic lot, so count me (reluctantly) in. True, the bar is not very high (putting it mildly!)
Johnson has been the architect of this clusterfuck, by stuffing his cabinet with yes-men/women and nodding dogs who were promoted FAR beyond their sphere's of experience and competence. Meaning when we ended up with a leadership election, we (well, they) were left with a choice between a collection of slack-jawed muppets who couldn't run a whelk stall, let alone a country.

It is to NOBODIES surprise that Truss and Kwasi have been an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who thought otherwise is a weapons-grade moron. She will be gone soon as well.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Liz Truss to raise corporation tax in U-turn
The prime minister, Liz Truss, is now speaking at the press conference in Downing Street.

Truss has bowed to intense pressure from Conservative MPs and the markets by scrapping her signature corporation tax cut from the government’s mini-budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here