[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
((Off on a bit of a tangent ... just stumbled across a lovely example of why FPTP is a shite system:

How many of those LAB / LDEM voters do we think wanted a CON winner?))

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you really think that you are going to get them to change their vote by describing people like this?
Maybe he doesn't want anyone to change their vote. I gave up trying to explain and persuade people why they should vote a certain way and what the alternative was when the electorate voted for Brexit and then followed it up by giving Johnson an 80 seat majority to 'Get Brexit Done'. Consequently, I've tried to take the view of a bemused bystander watching this whole clusterf*** take it's inevitable and entirely predictable way ever since :shrug:

At the end of the day Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite has simply been proven correct yet again.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
U-Turn press conference this afternoon.

All the tax cuts for the rich and corporations could be trashed.
Apparently Kwarteng won't be at the press conference.

Would not be surprised if there's 2 announcements:

1. Big U-Turn on the mini budget. At a bare minimum, expect to see the reinstatement of the increase in corporation tax from 19% to 25%.

2. Kwasi Kwarteng sacked. Truss needs to shore up support within her own party and head off a coup - would not be surprised to see Kwarteng sacked and replaced by Sunak or a prominent Sunak supporter.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
((Off on a bit of a tangent ... just stumbled across a lovely example of why FPTP is a shite system:

How many of those LAB / LDEM voters do we think wanted a CON winner?))

But this demonstrates the crass stupidity of the two main opposition parties who can't get their act together to ensure that there is only one anti-Tory opposition candidate. Whoever came second to the Tory last time should get a clear run without the risk of splitting the anti Tory vote. Its really not at all difficult to arrange in wards / seats where there is a Tory incumbent.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
But this demonstrates the crass stupidity of the two main opposition parties who can't get their act together to ensure that there is only one anti-Tory opposition candidate. Whoever came second to the Tory last time should get a clear run without the risk of splitting the anti Tory vote. Its really not at all difficult to arrange in wards / seats where there is a Tory incumbent.
But with a better system that wouldn't need to happen. In Australia there would have been a LDEM win in that seat - LAB came third, so their votes would have been recounted and second preferences assigned - and you can bet your house the vast majority would have gone LDEM.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

1. Big U-Turn on the mini budget. At a bare minimum, expect to see the reinstatement of the increase in corporation tax from 19% to 25%.

2. Kwasi Kwarteng sacked. Truss needs to shore up support within her own party and head off a coup - would not be surprised to see Kwarteng sacked and replaced by Sunak or a prominent Sunak supporter.
If I was Sunak, I'd tell Truss to get stuffed. She made it perfectly clear what she thought of Sunak the minute she won the run-off, by completely blanking him before making her victory speech. Asking him for help would be a barely disguised, desperate bid to save her own skin.

Not that I care - Sunak was shite too, only marginally less shite than Truss.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Nailed it :). My post 8 minutes earlier than his tweet :p.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If I was Sunak, I'd tell Truss to get stuffed. She made it perfectly clear what she thought of Sunak the minute she won the run-off, by completely blanking him before making her victory speech. Asking him for help would be a barely disguised, desperate bid to save her own skin.

Not that I care - Sunak was shite too, only marginally less shite than Truss.
She's not got many choices. Agree it most likely won't be Sunak (unless she's desperate and does a very lucrative (for him) deal to save her own pork market ... I mean bacon). But it will need to be someone who does what she needs in terms of heading off the coup planning, so it can't be a Truss lackey.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
No, it's you that is saying the IFS are wrong, nobody else said this.

Can you now please start a new thread to discuss the MMT school of economic theory and, as a number of people have now asked, STOP TRYING TO DERAIL THIS ONE
I’m trying to discuss Truss’s economic policy is that not allowed?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Trying to save herself but it won't help as she is a fundamentally flawed and stupid person.
More to the point: she's already lost the part of the electorate that her mini-budget screwed over. They won't forget. And with this u-turn, she'll also lose a chunk of those who *supported* her mini-budget. I very much doubt it will help her polling numbers at all - it could even see them drift further in the wrong direction.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But with a better system that wouldn't need to happen. In Australia there would have been a LDEM win in that seat - LAB came third, so their votes would have been recounted and second preferences assigned - and you can bet your house the vast majority would have gone LDEM.
Absolutely. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have a more democratic and representative system for voting but whilst we have FPTP the opposition parties should be making the most of it to squish the Tories into oblivion.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
More to the point: she's already lost the part of the electorate that her mini-budget screwed over. They won't forget. And with this u-turn, she'll also lose a chunk of those who *supported* her mini-budget. I very much doubt it will help her polling numbers at all - it could even see them drift further in the wrong direction.
She'll lose a chunk of @Steve Foster ?

Shit she's in big trouble now :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports