[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure about Mordaunt, but Sunak is apparently loathed by many backbenchers.

So was Johnson - until they saw that he could win elections. And Truss definitely is: look how few MPs voted for her. But I can't see Sunak getting the nod after the members rejected him: it has to be Mordaunt for this plan to work.

Mind you, in the last week, I've read of plots to replace Truss with Johnson, Gove, Shapps, Braverman and now, Mordaunt/Sunak. Who next? Larry the Cat?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With this Sunak/Mordaunt ticket, is the idea Truss would be ousted and replaced without going to a leadership contest?

If so, hard to see who would get top job, who could get CX. Sunak more experienced but already been rejected by the membership, Mordaunt no experience of top jobs but ran Truss a close second to challenging Sunak a few months ago.

I'm not sure about Mordaunt, but Sunak is apparently loathed by many backbenchers. Not sure how much these experienced Tories putting forward this idea can inspire the party to get behind them.
For those of us, that remember when being a competent politician, was a pre-req for high office, the Sunak/Mordaunt ticket seems their best option.
However, neither were selected to do the job, so I don't see how they can possibly be appointed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its quite odd that the MP's didnt put Mordaunt through in the first place, Truss must have a lot of backers among them that have now gone to ground. looking at polling, Truss was never first choice among the membership, swapping between Sunak, Badenoch and Mourdaunt. latter polling highest rating in head to head polls. presumably just didnt have enough MP backing, would be weird now to go through as a unity candidate.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
does the rumours the con party want to remove Truss and replace with Sunak and Maudant prove they didn't vote for the person they wanted but who the media barons wanted? Everyone knew she was never cut out to be PM

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
For those of us, that remember when being a competent politician, was a pre-req for high office, the Sunak/Mordaunt ticket seems their best option.
However, neither were selected to do the job, so I don't see how they can possibly be appointed.
The idea is that the ballot for MPs would have a threshold so high that only one person could reach it and therefore nothing for members to vote on.

Would only work I think with Mordaunt PM and Sunak CX.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
So was Johnson - until they saw that he could win elections. And Truss definitely is: look how few MPs voted for her. But I can't see Sunak getting the nod after the members rejected him: it has to be Mordaunt for this plan to work.

Mind you, in the last week, I've read of plots to replace Truss with Johnson, Gove, Shapps, Braverman and now, Mordaunt/Sunak. Who next? Larry the Cat?

Larry the cat has shown himself to be competent at his job and, therefore, overqualified.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
does the rumours the con party want to remove Truss and replace with Sunak and Maudant prove they didn't vote for the person they wanted but who the media barons wanted? Everyone knew she was never cut out to be PM
The MPs backed Sunak. In a two-horse race the members (average age 75) backed the white person. The media had nothing to do with it as far as I was aware.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Larry the cat has shown himself to be competent at his job and, therefore, overqualified.
Screenshot_20221014-082917_Chrome.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well if I had to vote for one of those, Larry every time on the 'least damage' ticket (y)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think we're now very much in a position where Truss and Kwarteng *must* perform the mother of all u-turns. The markets have now assumed it's going to happen. They've priced it in (10 yr gilt yields now down to 4% and even dipped closer to 3.9% earlier this morning). If the u-turn doesn't happen, it'll be carnage as the gilt yields go back through the roof again.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Democracy at work - circa 14,000,000 vote for a party with Boris as leader/PM -> then 81,000 odd vote for Trus to be PM -> then potentially 356 vote for a new leader. So we end up with roughly 0.001% of those elegible to vote choosing argualby the most important role in Government who will decide the future of the UK for the next two years and could have a completely different agenda to that which the voters voted for in 2019. Crazy stuff.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't help notice the IFS are concluding the total bill for Truss's tax cuts have rise £17B from £45B to £62B

For the record Johnson's plan to build 40 hospitals (if you believe it), cost £3.7B

She's expensive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports