[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sunak told Truss all of this market shite would happen if she proceeded with her planned tax cuts, and that was before she'd even appointed Kwarteng. Sacking him will only make things worse for her and the Tory Party, as she will be making him a scapegoat for her failings.

Not only that, her growth agenda - such as it is - can only be delivered by tax cuts. She has pledged not to cut public spending, she doesn't have spare labour and is still committed to reducing immigration to the tens of thousands, she can't borrow anymore as we already have a £60 billion black hole and foreign investors will now be put off by the tax rises she's set to announce. Similarly, she has said she wouldn't levy the windfall taxes on energy companies Labour favour. It's checkmate.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
it was completely predictable to most except 80k Tories that Truss would be a disaster, but I’m not sure anyone could foresee it already being in end game.

Her throwing Kwarteng under the bus is incredible as they share the same views and has done what she asked.

Sunak was the only one that would have had support, but he did the unfortunate thing of telling the truth of how f***ed we are.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m trying to discuss Truss’s economic policy is that not allowed?
You’re making the same point over and over again like a demented pub bore. Please stop it or you’ll lose your access to the thread

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Sunak told Truss all of this market shite would happen if she proceeded with her planned tax cuts, and that was before she'd even appointed Kwarteng. Sacking him will only make things worse for her and the Tory Party, as she will be making him a scapegoat for her failings.

Not only that, her growth agenda - such as it is - can only be delivered by tax cuts. She has pledged not to cut public spending, she doesn't have spare labour and is still committed to reducing immigration to the tens of thousands, she can't borrow anymore as we already have a £60 billion black hole and foreign investors will now be put off by the tax rises she's set to announce. Similarly, she has said she wouldn't levy the windfall taxes on energy companies Labour favour. It's checkmate.
Truss’s tax cuts were wrong on equity grounds not because they are linked to government spending plans. There’s no “hole” the government is not like a household it doesn’t have to borrow in the way we do when our bank balance is overdrawn

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
That bell-end Mogg was asked yesterday, by Mishal, something about the way the markets responded to the mini budget, and he said that there is no evidence that the change in the market had anything to do with the mini budget and that by making this 'accusation' the BBC was in breach of its requirements for impartiality. What an absolute weapon :facepalm:

jrm.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there's plenty of pro-growth policies options that can be done without touching tax, and all the better if it does (less controversial, easier sell to public). the fixation with tax has got to stop as the only tool to do anything.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
You’re making the same point over and over again like a demented pub bore. Please stop it or you’ll lose your access to the thread
I’m replying to other posters who are also making the the same point over and over again by maintaining that government economic policy should be regarded in the same way as a household but I suspect it’s a fundamental principle with which you concur

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I am no political expert, but tell me. Surely Truss tells Kwasi. who she appoints as her chancellor, what economic course she wants to go down.
He comes up with the proposals, and she surely has to agree to them,
Why does she get to sack him when the country is in uproar about the mini budget, which is what she has told him to do in the 1st place?
Isn't she as much to blame as him, if not more so?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m replying to other posters who are also making the the same point over and over again by maintaining that government economic policy should be regarded in the same way as a household but I suspect it’s a fundamental principle with which you concur
It doesn't matter what I think. You're presenting it as a matter of fact and it is not. It's a matter of theory. And you're doing it over and over again on a day when the CX has just been fired.

I strongly suspect people are more interested in how they're going to eat when mortgage + heating takes all their money, on their tanking pension funds and on the absolute shambles that is a government with no respect and no control than your repeated sixth form economics "facts".

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I knew that woman was useless, but I didn't realise she was completely and utterly freaking useless.

I'm sure Margaret Thatcher never behaved like this. All cosplay Thatcher now has left is her determination not to see her lifelong ambition to be PM, end in such ignominy. She's going to be crucified in PMQs, interviews and the media. For her own health, she should step down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports