Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Shambles. She should either have thought through what she was doing with the higher rate, or you would like to assume that she did in which case she should have stuck to her guns.

Not great.

The positive is it shows they are listening, but hard to believe they didn't expect this backlash so one would assume they were ready to ride it. Clearly not!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What is it about female PM’s that make such cruel leaders? Always going after the most vulnerable.

Merkel wasn't cruel. I don't think May was either. Perhaps cruelty is so expected of men and less so women that it's more noticeable.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
What is it about female PM’s that make such cruel leaders? Always going after the most vulnerable.

in a male dominated environment, some feel the need to "act tough", you can often see it in WPC's, i'm led to believe :whistle:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The positive is it shows they are listening, but hard to believe they didn't expect this backlash so one would assume they were ready to ride it. Clearly not!

That is an interesting take. If it were true, they would have reversed it days ago. The only people they are listening to is those MPs that were going to rebel.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Shambles. She should either have thought through what she was doing with the higher rate, or you would like to assume that she did in which case she should have stuck to her guns.

Not great.

They did it because they were going to lose the vote on the budget and that would have brought down the Government and for no other reason.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The damage has been done and the profits made. We will be told there is a need to move on when there is a genuine need for a public enquiry....

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Merkel wasn't cruel. I don't think May was either. Perhaps cruelty is so expected of men and less so women that it's more noticeable.

You mean Teresa “Hostile Environment “ May?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You mean Teresa “Hostile Environment “ May?

This was as horrific as it was stupid.

I actually agree with the other fella, I don't think she was a bad person, but she was a weak person, forever in hock to the ERG type factions of her party. I reckon she's ashamed of this now.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Listening to who, though? And are they genuinely "listening" or are they simply doing the bare minimum they think they need to do to save their backsides from being roasted by their own MPs?

Just *yesterday* Truss and Kwarteng were doubling down, adamant that they were going to stick to all of their announced plans. What's changed since then? It wasn't public opinion - they had plenty of poll results out on Friday telling them what the public thought. It wasn't the markets - they've had that information available for a full week, including a BoE intervention.

So - what's changed? What's changed is that yesterday they had big names in the Tory party standing up and making it clear that Truss and Kwarteng were not going to have an easy time of it forcing their changes through. What changed is the very real prospect of enough Tory MPs voting with Labour, SNP, LibDems, etc that they would be defeated in Parliament.

They're not listening. They're acting out of self interest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Listening to who, though? And are they genuinely "listening" or are they simply doing the bare minimum they think they need to do to save their backsides from being roasted by their own MPs?

nterest.

Listening to the polls and letters going in of course !

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Not great.

It doesn't show that they're listening. It just shows that they're counting vote numbers. A humilating climb down now is better than a conference week of public slanging, followed by a humiliating loss in parliament. They tried threatening to withdraw the whip from those who didn't support them, but presumably realised that the numbers against were so substantial that they risked their parliamentary majority if they threw out all of them. The outcome is that they are a government already broken by their backbenchers. Its a relief to know that, without the Brexit jeopardy, the whole of the tory party is not in thrall to the band of extremist over-promoted fantasists who have been voted in by the membership. My guess is that nobody in the tory party will want to clean up their mess and that they will do a bit more sabre rattling and then time serve until they lose the next election, scuttling off to unearned six figure consultancies in the private sector.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Those earning £1m were going to receive around £53k extra. That’s a couple of their dozen annual holidays paid for. They’ll be gutted. I can’t see how the Government can now motivate them to save the economy? Why do we treat our best, brightest, richest and most capable people like this? Hopefully the abolition of the banker bonus tax will at least pacify some of them and they won’t be leaving this country in their hundreds to live in somewhere that taxes them a lot less.

there can't be many of them left :p

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Miss Cathcart speaks.

[tweet]1576678505332383744[/tweet]

Good on Maria.

Good on Maria too I guess, but I hate the way MPs only feel they're relevant if they reference nurses (and teachers) regarding cost of living. Most of us, from students to pensioners are struggling with the cost of living.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
They always U-Turn when the public fury becomes so damaging and their priorities to enrichen the already wealthy becomes so brazen

Nothing has changed

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Teresa May, who as Home Secretary, was the architect of the 'Hostile Environment' policy? That May?

I get that. But she wasn't doing anything a male prime minister wouldn't have done. Perhaps I meant 'by prime ministerial standards'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here